• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lamest excuses for sporting defeats

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah they lost 6-3 one season but I'm sure they also took a thumping either the season before or the season after at the same venue.

edit: nope, memory's playing tricks. cpr has it exactly right in the original post.

Halsey possibly also correct with his Newcastle theory.

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I have heard it suggested that a certain cricketer's failure to attain a career batting average of 100 was due to Norman Yardley failing to do the decent thing and instruct Eric Hollies to give him a long hop first up

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I have heard it suggested that a certain cricketer's failure to attain a career batting average of 100 was due to Norman Yardley failing to do the decent thing and instruct Eric Hollies to give him a long hop first up
and people complain about WG.....

Actually didn't Venables once say the grass was too long after a terrible result in the Far-east?

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Bradman was susceptible to the long hop first ball, as Bill Bowes proved during the Bodyline series.

ripper868

International Coach
"We're English" - England

"He's Scottish" - English on Andy Murray when he loses/***** up. The alternative being "He's British" when he's winning

BoyBrumby

Englishman
"We're English" - England

"He's Scottish" - English on Andy Murray when he loses/***** up. The alternative being "He's British" when he's winning
"The nasty man was bowling the ball too quickly. Mummy! Mummy! Donny go boom-boom in his twousers..." -Don Bradman, 1932/33

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Massimo Taibi saying his studs weren't long enough was a good one.
Heh. The Blind Venetian.

Love this thread btw.

Ricky Stuart saying his Canberra side won't perform better until he can recruit more Origin players, when he had more Origin players on the park than the side which had just dicked him.

Burgey

Nah simon jones was asked about it in an interview and said "Ah well, they would have done it too if they could have". His injuries were karma.

The same attack came here 18 months later sans mints and bowled frozen rope in a 5-0 drubbing. Pure coincidence I'm sure.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Wasn't the same attack given Jones never played again after 05 and Giles only played two in 06-07 plus Harmison, who was never an exponent of reverse swing, went to pot

Flintoff hardly disgraced himself with the ball in the 0-5 and Hoggard was arguably better than he had been in 05

So the only conclusion is Australia must have been cheating

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Obvious topical one is Pistorius whinging about the length of his competitors' blades after not winning a paralympic final. First time I became aware of the guy being a narcissistic ****.

Burgey

Wasn't the same attack given Jones never played again after 05 and Giles only played two in 06-07 plus Harmison, who was never an exponent of reverse swing, went to pot

Flintoff hardly disgraced himself with the ball in the 0-5 and Hoggard was arguably better than he had been in 05

So the only conclusion is Australia must have been cheating
Congratulations. You've won the thread.