cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Athletes breaking the law

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Chucking in cricket has also benefitted from this kind of willful official myopia over the last decade or so. For every cycling enthusiast who yelled "Lance has never failed a drugs test" we had an Ajaml apologist telling us "He's been cleared in a lab."
    Haha nah most of us just didn't really care. Especially younger cricket fans. You compare it to drug-taking, I would compare it to something like pulling shirts at corners and getting away with it.
    Prince EWS likes this.

It's much more like drug taking though. It's not just one small thing which has a minor effect on one aspect of a person's game, it gives a bowler huge performance enhancing benefits.

It's never really something I've made a big deal of simply because it's tedious as **** and I'd just rather let the authorities deal with it.
    RIP Philip Hughes - 1988-2014

The Wheel of Mediocrity | Compton, Root, Carberry, Robson, Trott, Lyth, Moeen, Hales, Duckett, Hameed, Jennings | The wheel is forever

Founder and Grand Wizard of the CW Football Thread Statluminati. Potential hater of abilities. Blocked on twitter by Michael Vaughan, Brad McNamara and AtlCricket for my hard hitting truths.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    It's never really something I've made a big deal of simply because it's tedious as **** and I'd just rather let the authorities deal with it.
    This is sort of my stance with drugs, too. I have problems with the moral grandstanding over it, and there's a good chance I'm wrong if I suspect people based on only my couch opinion, so I leave it to the authorities to make decisions, and respect them unless I get really good evidence to the contrary.
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of ESAS, JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    It's much more like drug taking though. It's not just one small thing which has a minor effect on one aspect of a person's game, it gives a bowler huge performance enhancing benefits.
    Performance-enhancing drugs can have quite severe physical and mental side-effects; they've been implicated in a number of murders. I know my shirt-pulling comparison understates the impact of chucking on the game but it's still definitely closer to shirt-pulling than it is to drug-taking.

Its a good point. If you match fix you can be banned for life, but if you're guilty of assault (or a similar offence) for beating your kids or wife you are generally able to play again.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Haha nah most of us just didn't really care. Especially younger cricket fans. You compare it to drug-taking, I would compare it to something like pulling shirts at corners and getting away with it.
    In take your point, but no football followers are seriously suggesting that shirt pulling is ok though; ditto union fans with #9s feeding their scrum. Both are obvious infringements that, for whatever reason (piss weak officiating is my personal guess) just aren't enforced.

I don't think any cricket followers were saying chucking was fine and groovy. Lots of otherwise sane people were sticking to the "tested in a lab, no change since, within fifteen degrees, yadda, yadda" lines. Admittedly others were probably in the "meh" camp, as were some cycling fans over Mr Armstrong.

I'm in no way suggesting that Ajmal has been a shop-steward for chucking in the same way as Armstrong was, but he's been merrily throwing away for over half a decade now and this obvious and continued transgression has undoubtedly benefitted Pakistani cricket.
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"At this point, the merciful thing to do may be to put up one of those big green curtains they use when a horse falls at a racecourse, to spare the crowd the sight, and afford the man some privacy, for the ruthless but necessary end of his Test career." - The Guardian's Andy Bull on Keaton Jennings

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Ched Evans?

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Ched Evans?
    Honestly wouldn't surprise me if he were innocent

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Well, maybe. But that wasn't really the type of discussion I was looking to evoke. There's a lot of debate going on here about whether he should be banned from playing football ever again (assuming his conviction is safe - there's a fast track enquiry into this being made at present).

I'm very much of the opinion that there should be no prohibition imposed on him playing again. I'd have no problem with Sheff Utd sacking him, and if no other club wants to touch him with a barge pole then that is obviously fine as well. But I think it would be extremely wrong for any professional body to actively ban him. He has served the punishment imposed on him by the criminal justice system, and in my eyes that should be that. If you think he should have been punished more heavily in the first place (and I believe this can be quite convincingly argued) then this is a gripe to be had with the criminal justice system, not anyone else.

International Coach
    Yeah agree with Sledger.

I haven't looked into the case in too much detail but I have to confess I am confused as to how two men had *** with a woman and she was too drunk to consent for one of them but not the other.
    MSN - tomhalsey123@hotmail.com

Manchester United FC: 20 Times

R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

Yeah that has always been a little hard to understand but even if he is judged technically innocent after this latest appeal then his actions are still that of a complete ****.

He should definitely be allowed to play, just like most people I would never want him playing for my club.

cpr
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Halsey View Post
    Yeah agree with Sledger.

I haven't looked into the case in too much detail but I have to confess I am confused as to how two men had *** with a woman and she was too drunk to consent for one of them but not the other.

I guess if one of them was offside when they stuck it in....
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    I guess if one of them was offside when they stuck it in....
    That would actually be a somewhat plausible explanation tbh. If you're implying what I think you are, anyway. Consent to one act is not a consent to all, after all...

That said, if the prosecution rested on the fact that she was too drunk to consent at all this wouldn't really make sense. Unless a higher standard of informed consent is required for different sexual acts of course...

Cricketer Of The Year
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Halsey View Post
    Yeah agree with Sledger.

Perhaps it was the spiked bottle of brandy she drank in between bonks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    Perhaps it was the spiked bottle of brandy she drank in between bonks.
    I heard the brandy was administered through a turkey baster.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information