• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
I really think Nadal will win. He was playing very aggressive tennis in the clay court season. Just a matter of translating that to grass, which we know he is capable of doing.

He might draw some tricky players/big hitters in the first 4 rounds, if he negotiates those early threats, he will get better as the tournament progresses.
that would be huge for nadal if he can achieve another rare french open - wimbledon double...

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Realistically, where do you guys think she'd be ranked if she played on the ATP?

morgieb

That was what I thought as well..

Mental strength and massive serve alone would give her a decent chance against plenty of guys, at least in a best of 3..
Her serve would not be a massive weapon at ATP level AFAIC.

She'd struggle to be Top 500.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
She would be nowhere in the men's game. There's college champions in America who would beat her. She's a great player and a great athlete but it's a physically thing, she couldn't beat any competent man.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Such a pointless argument. do we do this with sprinters?

Who cares, is the answer to the question? she's an all-time great for her *** in her sport.

OverratedSanity

75-100? Probably closer to 100...
No way imo. Ftr, she did play against a male player ranked in the 300s many years ago when she was in her late teens and she got comprehensively beaten. The difference in physicality is just too much.

Agree that it's all a bit pointless though.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
The "big four" are the top seeds at Wimbledon. Stan relegated presumably. Not overly convinced by any of them. Nadal the only one in great form, but he's vulnerable even on the current less than fast grass courts.
Kerber top seed in the Ladies. Anyone could win that, including Sue Barker.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I'm going to create a little prediction game for the French now that the draw has been announced.

You simply have to name the 8 Quarter Finalists in the men's and women's draw.

You get points depending on the players tournament seeding:
1-8 = 1 point
9-16 = 1.5 points
17-32 = 2 points
unseeded = 3 points

The winner is (yep you guessed it) the person with the most points from the 16 quarter finalists.
With the Wimbledon draw having just been announced anyone keen to take part make your QF predictions before the tournament starts.

morgieb

I'll play:

Murray (1)
Tsonga (12)
Muller (16)
Cilic (7)
Raonic (6)
Federer (3)
Gasquet (22)
Djokovic (2)

Safarova (32)
Radwanska (9)
Pliskova (3)
Kontaveit (unseeded)
Williams (10)
Barty (unseeded)
Konta (6)
Halep (2)

Going for broke quite a bit in the women's draw, but meh.

flibbertyjibber

Such a pointless argument. do we do this with sprinters?

Who cares, is the answer to the question? she's an all-time great for her *** in her sport.
may as well compare Jessica Ennis with Daley Thompson. Such a pointless argument which only seems to happen in tennis rather than other sports.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
may as well compare Jessica Ennis with Daley Thompson. Such a pointless argument which only seems to happen in tennis rather than other sports.
I guess it's possibly because of equal pay, Mac though almost certainly want to play a battle-of-the-***es thing, it would feed his ego, which let's face it is the size of a small planet. He was a childhood hero of mine, so I don't say it lightly, but he's a total knob now.

Oh I'll play that thing.

Karlovic
Isner
Tsonga
Muller
Federer
Lopez
Zverev
Zverev

Pliskova
Pliskova
Makarova
Garcia
Kvitova
Keys
Gorges
Belis

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Grecian, I think some of your selections need double checking.

Kyrgois (20)
Wawrinka (5)
Khachanov (30)
Cilic (7)
Raonic (6)
Isner (23)
Berdych (11)
Djokovic (2)

Bertens (23)
Bacsinszky (19)
Pliskova (3)
Stephens (unseeded)
Strycova (22)
Ostapenko (13)
Konta (6)
Vesnina (15)

I'm going to be most annoyed if Kontaveit does well and I didn't pick her only because morgie did.