• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Murray plays Andrey Kuznetsov in the first round. Wouldn't be surprised if he loses at any stage. But Novak and Nadal are in the same half so could meet in the semis.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I'm going to create a little prediction game for the French now that the draw has been announced.

You simply have to name the 8 Quarter Finalists in the men's and women's draw.

You get points depending on the players tournament seeding:
1-8 = 1 point
9-16 = 1.5 points
17-32 = 2 points
unseeded = 3 points

The winner is (yep you guessed it) the person with the most points from the 16 quarter finalists.

My selections:

Del Potro (29)
Zverev (9)
Wawrinka (3)
Ferrer (30)
Raonic (5)
Nadal (4)
Goffin (10)
Djokovic (2)

Kerber (1)
Bertens (18)
Kontaveit (unseeded)
Williams (10)
Svitolina (5)
Suarez Navarro (21)
Radwanska (6)
Pliskova (2)

Last edited:

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Stosur (22)
Kuznetsova (8)
Mladenovic (13)
Gavrilova (24)
Svitolina (5)
Suárez (21)
Strýcová (20)
Pavlyuchenkova (16)

Murray (1)
Zverev (9)
Monfils (15)
Tsonga (12)
Carreño (20)
Nadal (4)
Thiem (6)
Đoković (2)

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Just 5/16 the same Vimes - Mladenovic was my initial pick but I just wanted to take a risk with the lefty Kontaveit. I went Goffin over Thiem which is questionable. I found the Cilic quarter (the one you picked Tsonga in) the toughest to pick. A little surprising that neither of us went Halep - surely she is due to dominant in one of these Slams soon.

I would go for these finals
Zverev vs Nadal
Kerber vs Svitolina

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Yeah she's fighting with an ankle, got some torn ligaments. With this Slam being a massive chance for her though I suppose she'll try to play through the pain.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Del Potro (29)
Zverev (9)
Wawrinka (3)
Tsonga (12)
Carreno Busta (20)
Nadal (4)
Thiem (6)
Djokovic (2)

Stosur (23)
Bertens (18)
Mlandenovic (13)
Williams (10)
Svitolina (5)
Halep (3)
Strycova (20)
Pavlyuchenkova (16)

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Good work Morgie. Anyone else keen to make some predictions?

BTW this Stosur Gavrilova match has been entertaining.

vogue

International Vice-Captain
Good work Morgie. Anyone else keen to make some predictions?

BTW this Stosur Gavrilova match has been entertaining.
Would love to but I haven't been following the womens tennis as much as I should have so it would be half predictions...bit poor of me tbh. :ph34r:

Niall

International Coach
No worries Vogue.

Kerber is getting a good old fashioned paddlin.
Ugh.

Hardly looked at the draw, but if I knew she was playing Makarova, well I'd be all over the Russian from a betting pov, Kerber has been absolutely awful recently.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
For some reason I thought the French started tomorrow and was going to study the draw and make some predictions later today.

Kerber has gone already. I don't think I would necessarily have put her down for the last 8 as she's been struggling a bit.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Well I'm one down already. Kerber has been great for me betting wise over the past few years so I had some unwarranted faith in her. I guess its been more on the hard courts but Makarova was awesome and the number seed lacked confidence.

My boi Jerzy's tournament is done too.

vogue

Nadal through of course to the second round. His play looking more encouraging than Djokovic first round win.

vogue

Watching Zverev to see how he fares on clay. Verdasco leading 5-4 in the first set. Looks like he hasn't settled yet on the clay surface.