• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Federer wins the first set 6-1.

In the 2nd set Federer was 40-0 up on serve, and Nadal hit a deep forehand which landed on the line but was called out. Federer decided to be a good sport and told the umpire he thought it was in and the point was replayed.

Nadal went on to break Federer. Could be pivotal.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I've watched the AFL, soccer, tennis and now cricket all in one day. :D

I've some how managed to squeeze some exam study in that too, though granted not much.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Jono said:
I've watched the AFL, soccer, tennis and now cricket all in one day. :D

I've some how managed to squeeze some exam study in that too
, though granted not much.
Did better than me then. :) Can get back to watching the tennis now that Holland v S&M is over...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Considering I have 2 law exams on Tuesday, comprising of about 6.5-7 hours, I don't think my study was quite enough ;)

Nadal on top of Federer now, won the 2nd set 6-1 and a break up in the 3rd.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nadal too good for Federer, wins the French Open in 4 sets. Terrific effort to defend his title, particularly after he was smashed in the first set. To come back and then dominate the rest of the match was amazing.

Federer had trouble playing his backhand all match due to the immense topspin Nadal would put on his shots. I've never seen Federer hit so many unforced errors.

Throughout the 4th set when Nadal was a break up and dominating Federer I was just waiting for Federer to come back, and ever unforced error of his I'd just yell "Come on, THIS IS FEDERER, he'll come back", and to his credit he managed to break Nadal back (in what was one awesome game) and take the 4th set to a tie-break, but even then Nadal was able to run down all of Federer's shots and wear him down, resulting in Federer going for too much and making unforced error after unforced error.

Terrific match to watch, disappointed Federer couldn't take it home but am very impressed with Nadal. What a champion on clay he is.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Hasn't Nadal won his past 60 games on clay now, something like that anyway? I remember hearing about it somewhere and was amazed.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
James said:
Hasn't Nadal won his past 60 games on clay now, something like that anyway? I remember hearing about it somewhere and was amazed.
yeh he has, im pretty surprised he beat Federer again though, Feds will be up for Wimbledon now.

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
Woohooo.. god damn i am happy that federer lost... go Nadal u mighty genious on Clay..

anyway it was great match, too many unforced errors in the 3rd set was crucial for Federer.. one the other hand Nadal was tooo strong at the end of the Day..

archie mac

International Coach
Tame Tennis

Is it my imagination or a Tennis Players 'retiring' more often during matches?

It seems a lot of players retire from a match, but then are fit for another tournament a couple of days later.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah many commentators mentioned it during the French. One thing that stands out though, its reasonably understandable retiring from lead-up tournaments to grand slams, but to have players retiring from grand slams with a little niggle is amazing. Especially younger players who have nothing to lose and often are faced with their best opportunity of their career so far.

*shrugs*

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
lol i saw an article about Nadal retiring about 10 seconds before i saw this thread and i was thinking that it was abit soft. Unless there is a good chance that you will do yourself a more serious injury from playing on you should keep going. To me it seems like alot of players are losing, then have a little niggle and pull out as an excuse.

Cloete

International Captain
age_master said:
lol i saw an article about Nadal retiring about 10 seconds before i saw this thread and i was thinking that it was abit soft. Unless there is a good chance that you will do yourself a more serious injury from playing on you should keep going. To me it seems like alot of players are losing, then have a little niggle and pull out as an excuse.
If it's his left shoulder he'd be stupid not to pull out. His left is his racquet hand so I see no purpose in him beating Hewitt and hurting his shoulder at Queens.

Anna

International Vice-Captain
Cloete said:
If it's his left shoulder he'd be stupid not to pull out. His left is his racquet hand so I see no purpose in him beating Hewitt and hurting his shoulder at Queens.
It was his left shoulder & they were drawing at one set all. I hope he's fit for Wimbledon..

pasag

RTDAS
I don't think players should stay on just to be macho and be manly. If something is wrong they should get off the court to avoid serious and long term injury no matter how un-popular it is.

Cloete

International Captain
Anna said:
It was his left shoulder & they were drawing at one set all. I hope he's fit for Wimbledon..
Yeah I know. I was sort of speaking hypothetically while not speaking hypothetically :p

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Cloete said:
How many players would retire hurt when 2 sets to 0 up and 3 games away from victory?

Clearly it makes more sense to retire hurt when you're in trouble, and if you have any chance of winning you'll have to be on court for 2-3 more hrs hence increasing the chance of injury. As I said, I don't mind players retiring hurt like Nadal did a couple of days ago (I know you weren't referring to Nadal specifically). But retiring hurt in the grand slams over niggles, well I guess its their choice but you'd think you'd go on if it was the Round of 16+

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
yeh a lot of players seem to retire in lead up tournaments these days, the top players really only play them for match practice and to get used to the surface so withdrawing in the middle of a 3rd round or quarter final match doesnt really matter to them...