• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Stan you beautiful beautiful man. 12 looks just a little farther away from 17 with this final loss for Djokovic. But it's only delaying the inevitable as he is way too dominant and I can't see a consistent challenger to him in the next 3-4 years.

But yeah, Stan.. WAG! How on earth do you win 3 Slams and only one Masters 1000 title? :laugh:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Every H2H stat with Stan just needs to be Slam only. He just phones it in outside of that so often.

vcs

He saved matchpoint against Evans earlier in the tournament and then went on to win it. Of course, Djokovic also did that in 2011 after beating Federer in 5.

I could feel him building up a head of steam when he beat a resurgent Del Potro and Nishikori, who was coming off a win over Murray. And I think he's the only player on tour, who really scares Djokovic a bit in these best-of-5 Slam matches.

vcs

the impressive thing about stan's victories are that he has beaten an almost unbeatable djokovic on the highest stages...can't name too many other players who have done that...he was already in the hall of fame, this more or less cemented his place...75% of the way towards a career slam, did he win all his slams after 30?! 2014 aussie open, 2015 french open, 2016 u.s open, 2017 wimbledon maybe...?
I think Safin is the best comparison I can make to Wawrinka among past players in the sense that they are so scary and unstoppable and when on form, they basically just brute-force anyone off the court. It doesn't matter if there's a GOAT on the other side, the match is on their racquet. He's managed to carve out quite a special legacy for himself, though he isn't close to the Top 4 overall. Good for him, very genuine and likeable guy and a beautiful game to watch.

His late career heroics give hope to Del Potro also.. if only he can manage to stay fit from now on, he can surely win a few Slams.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I think that's a great comparison in game style and ability.
I loved Safin but I think Stan is mentally tougher. The way he pulled out that 3rd set when Nole was just tightening the screws was brilliant.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Think the incredible Stan stat is that he's played the number one ranked player 25 times and lost 22 of them. The three times he won were also the three grand slam finals he played.

vcs

Also props to Kerber.. three Slam finals this year and won two of them. Deservedly dethroned Serena.

vcs

I think that's a great comparison in game style and ability.
I loved Safin but I think Stan is mentally tougher. The way he pulled out that 3rd set when Nole was just tightening the screws was brilliant.
Still remember that Safin-Federer epic AO 2005 semifinal. Probably the greatest tennis match ever in terms of quality.

vcs

They were hitting the ball so hard it was tiring even to watch.

How good was Wawrinka's down the line BH, had Djokovic scrambling every time. Considering Novak's defensive skills, that's quite an accomplishment.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Still remember that Safin-Federer epic AO 2005 semifinal. Probably the greatest tennis match ever in terms of quality.
Yeah that was one of the greatest matches of the open era, ranks right up there with the epic Wimbledon 2008 final...

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
I don't know if he will, because of the way he plays. He's pretty attritional too, and it eventually wears you down. I suppose it depends on who else steps up now Nadal and Federer are both well and truly on the wane, and I'd reckon Djokovic has Murray's measure for the most part.. You'd think there would be the occasional player who pops up like Stan does and knocks him off, but there isn't the intensity of the Nadal-Federer rivalry let alone when it became Djokovic-Nadal-Federer. So much will depend on how fit he stays.
His physique and game have proved to be much more durable than Rafa's though...I can see him getting to 20 majors in the next 3 years, Stan is on the wrong side of 30 and I don't see anyone else in the current group of top players challenging him, Murray included...

vcs

Spain have sent Rafa, Ferrer and all to Delhi for the Davis Cup tie. Wish I was in that part of the country, would have tried to go for sure.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Would be nice if the Brits didn't cheer loud when its not out. Horrendous. Absolutely a distraction there. Ugh