Page 944 of 1028 FirstFirst ... 444844894934942943944945946954994 ... LastLast
Results 14,146 to 14,160 of 15417
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: *Official* Tennis Thread

  1. #14146
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anyone But England
    Posts
    20,000
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Lol at Barker calling it "Henman Hill".

    Stay classy Sue.
    It's a fitting name as it's for all the losers who couldn't get into centre court for the final.

    What a transformation he's made in the last 2 years. He'd have disintegrated from 4-1 down 2 years ago.

    Bet he's gutted Lisicki didn't win as he has to share the opening dance with Bartoli at the after party.

  2. #14147
    Hall of Fame Member grecian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Moeen is a perfectly fine bowler FFS.
    Posts
    15,287
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    It's a fitting name as it's for all the losers who couldn't get into centre court for the final.

    What a transformation he's made in the last 2 years. He'd have disintegrated from 4-1 down 2 years ago.

    Bet he's gutted Lisicki didn't win as he has to share the opening dance with Bartoli at the after party.
    Invers is that you?
    Pothas and sledger like this.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

  3. #14148
    Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    9,553
    Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    Nah bull**** Djokovic is class.
    Indeed. Always gracious in defeat, something the likes of Federer could learn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    This English top three are cornflakes. They're not the most exciting thing out but they're pretty effective. Then the middle order are the sugar. Would be too much on their own but added to the cornflakes they add some much needed interest

    When KP returns he will be the banana..

  4. #14149
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    41,457
    Great result for Murray and well deserved. The change in his mentality since Lendl started coaching him is amazing.


  5. #14150
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    54,896
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Bet he's gutted Lisicki didn't win as he has to share the opening dance with Bartoli at the after party.
    Men prefer beautiful champions

  6. #14151
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    54,896
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Almost as pleased Djokovic lost too. Hard man to warm to.
    I remember your reaction when Roger cried at the 2009 Aus Open after losing despite you being a Roger man. You weren't impressed. Murray has joined him with waterworks post-loss (multiple times). No crying for Djokovic in any of his grand slam losses.

    Add that with not making excuses for losses, and he's the best of the bunch. He let Murray have his moment, and didn't steal any of the spotlight.

    I actually didn't have any issue with Murray last year (emotions are emotions, what can you do?) but I think Novak handles losses better than any of the big 4.
    Last edited by Jono; 07-07-2013 at 08:03 PM.

  7. #14152
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    54,896
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    The second set from 4-1 down was the key passage of play I think. Murray actually showed some aggression, mixed it up a little bit - came to the net occasionally, went after the serve and tried for return winners, did it enough to surprise Djokovic and break the monotony. It also put the pressure on and possibly resulted in the double fault at break point. Why Murray doesn't do that sort of thing generally I don't know. He has it in him to dominate Wimbledon for 3-4 years.
    I agree with a lot of what you say here, but how come you only ever concentrate on Murray not playing well? Whenever Murray loses you put it down to his passiveness, but how about the fact that Djokovic was hitting way more UEs than he usually does, and his shot selection was piss poor.

    That's obviously caused by Murray being awesome on the other side of the net. But the point is you never acknowledge when its the reverse, and Murray is not playing as well because of the other bloke on the other side.

  8. #14153
    State Vice-Captain ohtani's jacket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,246
    What reason would Djokovic have to cry? It's not like he's never won a major before, he's not going to lose his number one ranking or fail to make a piece of history. I don't see the comparison with what either Federer or Murray were going through or Roddick for that matter when he lost in '09. Besides, he said he was tired from the semi. All players give their feelings on why they didn't play well. They're asked to do it and in a sport like tennis where you're out there alone the losses are harder. Djokovic is much more likeable than the player of a few years ago who'd jaw with the crowd. He's matured a lot. But there was no reason for him to cry.

  9. #14154
    Cricketer Of The Year Anil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Tattooine
    Posts
    9,814
    two great players and it looks like they will dominate tennis for the next few years but baseline slugfests really wear on you, however exceptional the players are...too bad federer is completely on the decline and no one knows how much nadal has left in the tank or how he will do outside of clay going forward...hope del potro can stay fit, he should be able to inject a sense of excitement into the game every now and then...
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    very very close friend of mine is an Arab Christian and he speaks Arabic too and the visible hidden filth shows the mentality which may never change .....
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    AAooouchh !!!!!
    I still remember that zipper accident of mine when I was in kindergarten ..... (Thing is OK I repeat thing is OK now )!!!

  10. #14155
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    54,896
    Quote Originally Posted by ohtani's jacket View Post
    What reason would Djokovic have to cry? It's not like he's never won a major before, he's not going to lose his number one ranking or fail to make a piece of history. I don't see the comparison with what either Federer or Murray were going through or Roddick for that matter when he lost in '09. Besides, he said he was tired from the semi. All players give their feelings on why they didn't play well. They're asked to do it and in a sport like tennis where you're out there alone the losses are harder. Djokovic is much more likeable than the player of a few years ago who'd jaw with the crowd. He's matured a lot. But there was no reason for him to cry.
    He easily could have cried at the French final in 2012. Perhaps even more so the semi against Rafa in 2013, that would have been gut wrenching to lose after a break up against Rafa in the 5th - he would have made history. Both times denied the chance for a career grand slam.

    How on Earth was Fed crying at the 2009 Australian Open a place where had had more reasons to cry? A tournament he had won plenty of times before. Your point that Novak didn't cry because he had less reason to cry in his Grand Slam losses is quite clearly not correct.

    In any case, my point was directed at Brumby specifically. He (not you) specifically didn't like Fed crying in 2009. I said, well Novak has never come close to doing it whereas Murray and Fed have. That is all. If your point is "who cares if they cry?" - yeah fair enough. I didn't mind and in fact really felt for Murray last year when he broke down. Just saying if crying after losing is not your cuppa tea, Nole is your man. Takes losing like a man.
    Last edited by Jono; 07-07-2013 at 10:22 PM.

  11. #14156
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    All Glory To The Nev
    Posts
    32,713
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Great result for Murray and well deserved. The change in his mentality since Lendl started coaching him is amazing.
    It was a great effort on debut
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

    With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

  12. #14157
    International Captain ajdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    7,149
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    It was a great effort on debut
    murray is magic like stars
    Quote Originally Posted by uvelocity View Post
    s
    ^real tearjerker from this cock

  13. #14158
    Cricketer Of The Year wpdavid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    8,902
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    I remember your reaction when Roger cried at the 2009 Aus Open after losing despite you being a Roger man. You weren't impressed. Murray has joined him with waterworks post-loss (multiple times). No crying for Djokovic in any of his grand slam losses.

    Add that with not making excuses for losses, and he's the best of the bunch. He let Murray have his moment, and didn't steal any of the spotlight.

    I actually didn't have any issue with Murray last year (emotions are emotions, what can you do?) but I think Novak handles losses better than any of the big 4.
    I thought he did pretty well yesterday. His honest answer would have been to wonder out loud how he managed so many unforced errors, but he had the grace to simply praise Murray's performance. Obviously a smart move in the circumstances, but still a gracious response.

  14. #14159
    State Vice-Captain ohtani's jacket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,246
    Federer cried in 2009 because he wasn't sure whether he'd ever break Sampras' record and he'd just lost a five set match to his biggest rival, the same guy who had beaten him at Wimbledon, taken his number one ranking and was the biggest obstacle to him achieving the tennis history he so desperately craved. It had nothing to do with the fact that it was the Australian open. Far stranger was when he cried in '07 because he passed Laver's record. That was odd.

    But Djokovic... the guy's not going to feel he's at the end of his Grand Slam run. Even the French he still has an opportunity to win. Besides, Djokovic tends to save his crying for the Davis Cup.

  15. #14160
    Hall of Fame Member _Ed_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Auckland, Aotearoa
    Posts
    19,857



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. FAQ & Introduction Thread
    By Samuel_Vimes in forum Cricket Web Tennis
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 20-06-2011, 11:06 AM
  2. The Ashes Commentary Thread
    By GIMH in forum Ashes 2009
    Replies: 154
    Last Post: 04-09-2009, 03:14 AM
  3. Selection errors tally thread
    By Richard in forum Ashes 2009
    Replies: 349
    Last Post: 23-08-2009, 03:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •