• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Sorry for Jono's money. Rarely been happier to be wrong though.
Haha, right call I reckon still, pre-match odds were pretty favourable considering Muguruza had not won a Slam yet (albeit obviously have been to a final before).

Could have hedged at 4-5 when Serena was $1.44, but felt Serena was going to break and take the set, and go on with it. Muguruza just didn't get frazzled when she'd give up a break back to Serena. She'd just keep hitting. impressive stuff, very surprised at how consistent she was throughout.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Haha, right call I reckon still, pre-match odds were pretty favourable considering Muguruza had not won a Slam yet (albeit obviously have been to a final before).

Could have hedged at 4-5 when Serena was $1.44, but felt Serena was going to break and take the set, and go on with it. Muguruza just didn't get frazzled when she'd give up a break back to Serena. She'd just keep hitting. impressive stuff, very surprised at how consistent she was throughout.
Nah was not a good bet, because on form Garbine was playing better in the tournament, I still felt Serena would probably edge it, but never an odds on bet to go big on.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Odds suggested 60%, I think you're brave if you think Mugu was better than a 40% chance.

And Serena played rubbish at last year's French, hasn't prevented her winning Slams before.

I think we'll start to see similar odds on Serena going forward though. Wimbledon will be interesting to see how they treat her.

Last edited:

grecian

Odds suggested 60%, I think you're brave if you think Mugu was better than a 40% chance.

And Serena played rubbish at last year's French, hasn't prevented her winning Slams before.

I think we'll start to see similar odds on Serena going forward though. Wimbledon will be interesting to see how they treat her.
Well to be fair we bet in totally opposite way. and you are almost certainly better at it than me.

I like golf, because it's all about staking your thought on hoping someone at biggish odds will win once or twice a year, with possible each-way benefits, also just not that many bets just a few every week. You clearly like short odds and many bets. Personally just couldn't see the value in that Serena bet.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Well to be fair we bet in totally opposite way. and you are almost certainly better at it than me.

I like golf, because it's all about staking your thought on hoping someone at biggish odds will win once or twice a year, with possible each-way benefits, also just not that many bets just a few every week. You clearly like short odds and many bets. Personally just couldn't see the value in that Serena bet.
Yeah fair enough. I generally don't bet on Serena pre-match, prefer in-play with her. But I was surprised at the odds. I guess some of the punters knew what they were doing though because Mugu was better from the first game really.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah fair enough. I generally don't bet on Serena pre-match, prefer in-play with her. But I was surprised at the odds. I guess some of the punters knew what they were doing though because Mugu was better from the first game really.
the game serena won at love?:)

Last edited:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
muguruza looks like the real deal...and she seems to have the hunger to win...hope she doesn't fade away like kvitova or to a lesser extent azarenka...

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag

I had cash on Mugu to win the first set at 2.20 - Wasn't prepared to bet on her to win the title though. Really though, it is her best surface and Serena's worst and throughout the tournament (apart from the first round) she has been dominating so I think the odds were accurate.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I had cash on Mugu to win the first set at 2.20 - Wasn't prepared to bet on her to win the title though. Really though, it is her best surface and Serena's worst and throughout the tournament (apart from the first round) she has been dominating so I think the odds were accurate.
Where were you pricks before that match?

grecian

muguruza looks like the real deal...and she seems to have the hunger to win...hope she doesn't fade away like kvitova or to a lesser extent azarenka...
Petra could easily still pick up a few more Wimbledons, Vika is a crock though, just can't see her winning a slam again.

Petra and Garbine the only two Slam Champions born in the 90s on either side, totaling 3 titles. For comparison after the French Open in 2006 there had been a combined 13 born in the 80s with 35 slams between them, think it's safe to say it's a much older sport nowadays.