• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
She's one of those dull defensive players I can't stand watching. Well done to her and all that, but I can't help feeling annoyed that she's deprived us of a possibly excellent final. :p
Another Slam for Serena.
You always tend to go early in the tennis thread, but this is one of your best.

Well done Kerber! Absolutely brilliant win, and a thoroughly entertaining final.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Great final. When Serena broke back, I thought, Yep, she's winning this, but great guts from Kerber.

Also, I knew Serena was dominant on the big stage but I didn't know she'd only lost 4 out of 25 slam finals before today. That's insane :laugh:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I didn't think Kerber would win really, but I was utterly bemused by the talk (not just from VCS) that the semi meant we wouldn't get a competitive match.

I mean Vika is getting to be the most over-rated person in tennis, something like 11 ESPN people went for her to win the Tournament based on winning Brisbane for her first title in well over a year. Yeah she's giving Serena some fun matches recently, more than say my fave player, but she still manages to lose. 3-17 isn't a great record, Kerber had 1-6, it's not a big difference.

Apart from Lisicki being quite frankly weirdly inspired at Wimbledon, recently Kerber fits the pattern of beating Serena much better than Vika, she retrieves brilliantly, uses a lot of variety and makes Serena play more than she wants. Vinci and Cornet, whilst the likes of Timea gave her tough games.

Having said that Serena normally still wins easily, so kudos Kerber.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I can't think of a better women's slam final better than last nights. Kerber was sensational and it was terrific hearing from her as she was absolutely amazed that she won, pretty crazy to think she could walked away from the tournament in round 1 collecting 37,000 - instead she gets $3,700,000 AU

I thought Serena handled herself so well too.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I can't think of a better women's slam final better than last nights. Kerber was sensational and it was terrific hearing from her as she was absolutely amazed that she won, pretty crazy to think she could walked away from the tournament in round 1 collecting 37,000 - instead she gets $3,700,000 AU

I thought Serena handled herself so well too.
Sharapova halep was better, and I'm not biased whatsoever.

Actually the first two sets were pretty average here UE's ruled, last set was real quality though.

vogue

International Vice-Captain
Missed the ladies final completely but had a good excuse....
Now watching Murray go down to Djokovic ... 0-3 already !!!

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Let's not forget how muzz lost the last couple of sets vs Novak last year. He hasn't won a game vs Novak on RLA for 14 games say the commentators.

Last edited:

vogue

International Vice-Captain
So...one set down already...time for a bacon sarnie ... Going to be a short match I think...