• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Too good Novak. Most dominant number 1s for both men and women simultaneously that I can remember. Both extremely capable of winning the calendar Slam

vogue

International Vice-Captain
clinically, ruthlessly and without remorse....guardian puts it well..
A great player. Don't think Murray will be winning the AO anytime soon.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Time to accept that there are no more Slams in Federer's future.

:(:cry::crybaby:
I think that boat sailed after the Wimbledon game. In all honesty he really should be out of the picture given his age and experience, the fact that he's still there going deep in Slams says a lot about him (and the depth of the field as well, but that's a story for another time)

Clinical is all I can say about Djokovic's performance. Federer actually played pretty well, especially in the third, but still couldn't push him. Now to the French, can he do it?

vcs

Does Murray stand a chance against the current Djokovic? Not really, 4 sets with a couple of close 7-6/7-5 type ones IMO. Result is not in doubt. Raonic might actually be interesting, he could lose 6-1, 6-4, 6-2 but he could also make it uncomfortable for Novak if he really gets in the big-serving, power-hitting zone and plays in God-mode (and sustains it over best of 5). Unlikely, but that's the only way to stop him right now.

vcs

BTW, Murray in any other period of tennis history wins at least 5-6 Slams. He's been the hardest done by competing with these 3 guys. :laugh:

vcs

5 is a conservative estimate. ****ing Jim Courier won 4. I watched Courier play. He wasn't that good.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Time to accept that there are no more Slams in Federer's future.

:(:cry::crybaby:
yeah he really surprised me at wimbledon 2012 (and even that was more about murray choking under pressure after a set and a half of outstanding tennis and federer taking advantage) but that was his last hurrah...if someone else takes out novak (and rafa) before he meets him and if his path to the final is not too strenuous, he may be able to win another one but those are huge ifs right now, the odds are significantly against him...

Burgey

BTW, Murray in any other period of tennis history wins at least 5-6 Slams. He's been the hardest done by competing with these 3 guys. :laugh:
Yeah, I'm thinking back to the late 90s, early 2000s and can easily see him taking down Agassi and Sampras............................

Not to mention walking all over Borg, McEnroe and Connors.

Rod Laver, Ken Rosewall, Lew Hoad - mere speed humps for Murray.

Please.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Holy **** at someone in the press conference implying that Novak has faced a lower quality of opponent to get to number 1 compared to Federer. Good on Fed for shutting that down, saying its disrespectful and calling it stupid.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I think that boat sailed after the Wimbledon game. In all honesty he really should be out of the picture given his age and experience, the fact that he's still there going deep in Slams says a lot about him (and the depth of the field as well, but that's a story for another time)
No he shouldn't, this isn't true at all. Look at the quality he is playing at, he'd be top 4 in most eras. Just because he's 34, its irrelevant. Watch his actual match quality, and tell me he's not a top 4 player 10 years ago. I mean he took a set against Novak, a player who hit a level last night that many tennis commentators said they had simply not seen before.

The depth is fine, I don't see how Fed making semis says a lot about the depth. He slapped the **** out of Stan at the US Open. The same Stan that beat the unstoppable Novak.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Holy **** at someone in the press conference implying that Novak has faced a lower quality of opponent to get to number 1 compared to Federer. Good on Fed for shutting that down, saying its disrespectful and calling it stupid.
It's also 100% objectively false. So weird.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
It is legitimately the ****test statement of all time. The **** has had to overcome Rafa, Fed and Murray ffs. Clearly he wouldn't be a match for Juan Carlos Ferrero and Andy Roddick though.

vcs

Yeah, I'm thinking back to the late 90s, early 2000s and can easily see him taking down Agassi and Sampras............................

Not to mention walking all over Borg, McEnroe and Connors.

Rod Laver, Ken Rosewall, Lew Hoad - mere speed humps for Murray.

Please.
Never said he'd walk all over them. I think he would create enough opportunities to win around 5 Majors though, in most eras. He'd have a similar resume to Becker/Edberg and be considered on roughly that level, had the top 3 been slightly less dominant. He's lost 6 Slam finals to Federer/Djokovic FFS. Don't know how many semifinals he's lost to them two and Nadal as well, must be close to double figures.