• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
why...i knew this would happen and it did...i can't really enjoy the tennis when one of the players is such a favorite of mine and i understand the game enough to know he doesn't stand a chance...
only a matter of time...
there you go, all done and dusted!
Everyone else is enjoying it. Why can't you enjoy the fact that he's playing amazing tennis and being a part of these epic matches at an age when most of us assumed he wouldn't, and when it looked unlikely two years ago? Fine if that's not enough for you, but you weren't even optimistic to begin with to be able to be let down. You just decided to be pessimistic and disappointed from the get go and haven't had a moment where your mood has improved.

Fair enough if this is really how you feel, but it just seems so unenjoyable and boring.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Everyone else is enjoying it. Why can't you enjoy the fact that he's playing amazing tennis and being a part of these epic matches at an age when most of us assumed he wouldn't, and when it looked unlikely two years ago? Fine if that's not enough for you, but you weren't even optimistic to begin with to be able to be let down. You just decided to be pessimistic and disappointed from the get go and haven't had a moment where your mood has improved.

Fair enough if this is really how you feel, but it just seems so unenjoyable and boring.
i do enjoy it when he plays well and i used to watch all his matches when he was at his peak knowing that he would win most of the time...i don't think i am being pessimistic here, just realistic...i would not feel this fatalistic if he were playing against anyone other than djokovic (or nadal for obvious reasons)...djokovic is an all-time great player at his peak and federer however great he is playing is past his best...if both of them were at/around the same age and at their peak, i would take federer to win comfortably on any surface other than clay...and even on clay it would be a close call, however that not being the case, i just don't think he can hold his own against novak in a best of 5 match at this stage of their respective careers...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)

I think its just the issue of telling us constantly how Fed is going to lose every time. If he wants to be pessimistic fine. Just don't tell us 50 times a tournament.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
I think its just the issue of telling us constantly how Fed is going to lose every time. If he wants to be pessimistic fine. Just don't tell us 50 times a tournament.
i just said it twice...i did forget that stan hadn't beaten him outside of clay so that prediction was just a tad undercooked but against novak, the situation felt exactly like the wimbledon final and i had a pretty good idea what was going to happen, and turns out i was exactly right...

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Any ways I hate this attitude of watching sport. Spoils the fun. Federer is a no good. Well he defeated Wawrinka and reached the final. He competed quite well here. Was closer than the 3-1 suggests. It's sport. It's not a fixed outcome when two competitors like this play ffs.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wut who said Federer is no good? I don't see the big deal tbh. I have no idea how any of your guys' enjoyment of a high quality match is spoilt by us saying the result was predictable. Which it was. I enjoyed watching it too, but obviously would have enjoyed it a lot more if Federer had outlasted Djokovic in a best of 5 grand slam match sometime recently to make this seem like a less predictable outcome.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
You're free to do what you like. Its just repetitive and boring.

If you think Anil's posts during the match were good for this thread then fine. We don't.

I much prefer Anil actually posting about why he thinks a result happened or will happen, because he knows the sport well and has been a long time poster in here. But over the last year so he's been in a "look how predictable this is I know who is going to win Fed has no chance" mode and it doesn't make this thread fun to read.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
This is a boring topic, as it is. Some thing more interesting is people not being able to watch Federer lose. I have a cousin who is a huge Federer fan and he just can't see Federer, who plays perfect tennis for him, lose like he has done over the past few years. He keeps saying 'it pains me and I can't see Federer lose'. It's quite interesting. Federer has played such 'perfect' tennis in many ways. Him losing constantly or not being near the top is unsettling in some ways. I found it weird to see an invincible, say, playing like a mortal. However, the last year has been great to watch him. I never expected Federer to have the kind of 2015 he has had. There is a lot of greatness in playing the kind of tennis he is playing at this age and that only makes me delighted now, as a Federer fan, even though I would have liked him to win.

We rarely see a champion play past his peak and then go through reserves to come up with the goods even past his best. For me, this is great to see.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You're free to do what you like. Its just repetitive and boring.

If you think Anil's posts during the match were good for this thread then fine. We don't.

I much prefer Anil actually posting about why he thinks a result happened or will happen, because he knows the sport well and has been a long time poster in here. But over the last year so he's been in a "look how predictable this is I know who is going to win Fed has no chance" mode and it doesn't make this thread fun to read.
That's fine. I just don't see it as a big deal to get annoyed about though. Maybe because I don't frequent this thread much. :p

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah I couldn't give a **** about you posting in here, I just want Anil's tennis analysis.

nah I'm kidding post more ya bloody Fed fanboy.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
This is a boring topic, as it is. Some thing more interesting is people not being able to watch Federer lose. I have a cousin who is a huge Federer fan and he just can't see Federer, who plays perfect tennis for him, lose like he has done over the past few years. He keeps saying 'it pains me and I can't see Federer lose'. It's quite interesting. Federer has played such 'perfect' tennis in many ways. Him losing constantly or not being near the top is unsettling in some ways. I found it weird to see an invincible, say, playing like a mortal. However, the last year has been great to watch him. I never expected Federer to have the kind of 2015 he has had. There is a lot of greatness in playing the kind of tennis he is playing at this age and that only makes me delighted now, as a Federer fan, even though I would have liked him to win.

We rarely see a champion play past his peak and then go through reserves to come up with the goods even past his best. For me, this is great to see.
One guy tweeted today that the genius of Federer is him having won 17 slams and making you feel bad for him when he doesn't win the 18th.

Its so true :laugh: Fed fans just need to chill the **** out.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Good that Bernie got over the line yesterday, was an awkward match.

Hewitt and Groth doing the business so far. Comms need to let go about this Andy Murray not being totally fit business. Often foxes like this.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I expected the Murray's to win but hoped win the reverse singles in mind for a shorter match. Didn't see any of it so have no idea how much he took out of himself.