• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
good performance for Ancic to win it, but in all honesty it would have been a major shock if he didnt beat Mertinak, it was kinda a shame that Beck didnt play the last match cause it would have been a lot more competitive...
having said that though it was great for Croatia to win it and more particularly for Ljubicic whose been one of the best players all year to lead the team to victory, i guess it was kinda disapointing he lost to hrbaty and missed out on the 20-0 record for the season, but i guess he'll settle with 19-1 :p

howardj

International Coach
Great news about the Crazy Croat. It seems everything old is new again - Ivanisevic, Hingis etc. I'll be very keen to see how she has developed after having so many years out. Oh, and the development of her tennis game too!

Simon

yeh hingis coming back is great news, the return of Dokic to Australia too, i just hope no one (the media in particular) give her a hard time, if she plays to her potential she should get back into the top 10...

benchmark00

howardj said:
Great news about the Crazy Croat. It seems everything old is new again - Ivanisevic, Hingis etc. I'll be very keen to see how she has developed after having so many years out. Oh, and the development of her tennis game too!
You old dog...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I'm shattered that Safin, Nadal and Agassi have all pulled out. I really wanted to see Safin defend his title and Nadal play here as he's matured into a great player since he almost knocked Hewitt out in a tremendous 5-setter at last year's Aus Open.

With all those names out, I once again can't go past Federer. I hope Nalbandian mounts a challenge though as he's one of my favourites.

Where's Broncoman by the way? You'd think he'd be going crazy considering his boy Haas beat Federer on Wednesday!!!

Cloete

International Captain
Jono said:
I'm shattered that Safin, Nadal and Agassi have all pulled out. I really wanted to see Safin defend his title and Nadal play here as he's matured into a great player since he almost knocked Hewitt out in a tremendous 5-setter at last year's Aus Open.

With all those names out, I once again can't go past Federer. I hope Nalbandian mounts a challenge though as he's one of my favourites.

Where's Broncoman by the way? You'd think he'd be going crazy considering his boy Haas beat Federer on Wednesday!!!
Yeah he beat Coria today as well!

He's probably out celebrating :laugh:

Agent TBY

International Captain
Cloete said:
He's probably out celebrating :laugh:
Depending on Hantuchova's form, he's probably mourning, or lying in a pit somewhere after passing out drunk while celebrating his big gambling win.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Jono said:
Yep happy for the Bronco dude. :)

I havent been very interested in the Aussie open in the past. The tournament was gaining some interest in the past few years.

I am not going to be popular with the Aussie tennis fans here maybe but I am not attracted to the even this year - The India-Pakistan series is obviously much more exciting but given a choice, I would watch the VB series and not the Aussie open this season if both are on on the telly in the morning mostly.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:
yeah i too expected some reaction from broncoman... :)

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
can't see past federer at this point with all the withdrawals...i don't think nalbandian can beat a fully-fit, confident federer but at this stage, he is probably the only one who can run him close given that hewitt struggles to take even a set off him....

Simon

yeh i was relatively happy when haas beat federer :p
his win over coria yesterday was good too, means hes in the final, he seems to be on his game at the moment, he has a new coach and a new set up, i think its about time too, its a crucial year for him...
depending on his draw i reckon he will go pretty far, i cant see federer letting him beat him twice in a row so he needs to avoid him, most of the top players dont seem to be in great form or arent playing outside of Haas and Federer my tip at this stage is Roddick...

archie mac

International Coach
broncoman said:
yeh i was relatively happy when haas beat federer :p
his win over coria yesterday was good too, means hes in the final, he seems to be on his game at the moment, he has a new coach and a new set up, i think its about time too, its a crucial year for him...
depending on his draw i reckon he will go pretty far, i cant see federer letting him beat him twice in a row so he needs to avoid him, most of the top players dont seem to be in great form or arent playing outside of Haas and Federer my tip at this stage is Roddick...

And the tipping comp?

_Ed_

Ancic is playing really well here in Auckland this week, could be a surprise quarter or even semi-finalist if he continues this form.