• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Niall

International Coach
Nadal v Fognini has been gloriously entertaining, Nadal 2 sets up and a break, but 4-4 in the fifth set, with six breaks:-O

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
rafa has lost all his edge...he is the greatest clay courter ever and one of the greatest tennis players of all time (federer, sampras, laver, borg and nadal are my top 5 not necessarily in that order) but he was well on his way to finishing his career as the GOAT at one point, i don't think that tag applies to him anymore...

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Seriously insane that he lost this, so many chances! But it was nice to see Rafa in a long match after a while. Some of his forehands were incredible still.

Compton

International Debutant
Nadal's finished as an elite level player.

His only saving grace here was that he wasn't defending points, and that the players immediately below him in the rankings went out too. He'll probably move up to 7, rather than drop out the top 10.

Compton

International Debutant
People said the same thing about Federer a while back though. I think Rafa has a second wind left in him
Federer was just poor form, Nadal is just falling to bits. I think he's paying the price for the style of tennis he's played in his career. All the experts were warning him that his body couldn't handle it over a 20-year career, and I think he's finding that out now.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Brutal loss by Rafa. The final nail as it's the first time he has ever lost after being 2 sets up. Exemplifies his fall.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Federer was just poor form, Nadal is just falling to bits. I think he's paying the price for the style of tennis he's played in his career. All the experts were warning him that his body couldn't handle it over a 20-year career, and I think he's finding that out now.
I don't think many professional athletes give a **** about changing their style so that they can still dominate in 20 years time.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah so lol. Some expert in 2010: "Hey Rafa, I know this is working for you now and you're dominating including beating Federer every time you meet, but you may want to take it easy because you're not going to be as good in 2015."

Plus I don't think its all physical. How can you be two sets and a break up, and also a break up in the 4th, and be your game style from 2010 that lets you down? Obviously physically he's not as strong, but his confidence is completely gone. He used to be the best frontrunner in tennis, once ahead hard to bring him back. Now he just doesn't close out matches anymore.

Wahhhhhhhhhh

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Kerber-Azarenka was the match of the tournament that I've seen, and I don't like either of them, shot-making was so intense.