• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
In winning it so deep into a 5th set whoever won is on a hiding to nothing on Friday. Djokovic should make mincemeat of him.
stan would still have had a better chance against novak than richard...as you said he will make mincemeat of richard on friday...

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Gasquet making a Wimby semi-final 8 years after he did it in 2007. Wow.
yep do you remember his match with roddick in 07...? i think we discussed it in the forum, probably in this thread itself at the time...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
yeah 2 set down comeback if I recall. was great. Roddick was one of the better players around at that time on grass (and better players in general tbh). Was a good one.

Serena vs. Sharapova. Last time she lost to Maria was 2004...

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
yeah 2 set down comeback if I recall. was great. Roddick was one of the better players around at that time on grass (and better players in general tbh). Was a good one.

Serena vs. Sharapova. Last time she lost to Maria was 2004...
that stat will remain intact tomorrow...

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Looks like Serena will complete her second Serena Slam....
Muguruza to spoil it all

(Nah don't really think she will get much on Serena's serve on grass, especially having avoided big serving guns to here, but has the game to be sticking around the top end of the tour for longer than Bouchard did)

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Check

Meanwhile the Porsche(TM) candy saleswoman is finding new and innovative ways to lose to Serena
It seemed the same old way to me.

But I think you mean the five-times slam champion, and number 2 in the world, and women with the third longest streaks of Wta wins in years in history.

Anyway she'll always be number one at the barbs at presser.

"I guess if I was British being in the Semi-final would be a great achievement".

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Three double faults in the opening game seemed excessively generous.

Useful player but you'd hope Azarenka and Kvitová pass her palmares by the end of their careers.

grecian

Three double faults in the opening game seemed excessively generous.

Useful player but you'd hope Azarenka and Kvitová pass her palmares by the end of their careers.
Azarenka is barely two years younger, and makes Samit Patel look fit,Maria beat her easily last two meetings. Petra, well she could win another 4 Wimbledons I suppose. Maria's record against her pretty good despite 2011.

Maria still has a chance to add, if someone knocks Serena out first OBVs.

I'm hopeful that the new generation can come through soon though, Mugs, Madison, Bencic.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Muguruza on today's evidence does at least look like a star of the future unlike the ludicrous Lisicki who ended up in the final a couple of years ago. Still not sure what to predict for Bouchard. She didn't turn up for last year's final and has barely won a match since. I'm still hoping (though now more hope than expectation) that Robson and Watson can stay fit and start making the latter stages of the big tournaments.

grecian

Muguruza on today's evidence does at least look like a star of the future unlike the ludicrous Lisicki who ended up in the final a couple of years ago. Still not sure what to predict for Bouchard. She didn't turn up for last year's final and has barely won a match since. I'm still hoping (though now more hope than expectation) that Robson and Watson can stay fit and start making the latter stages of the big tournaments.
I think Robson has the talent, but wrist injuries are tricky, and it's like del Potros. Bouchard doesn't have much of a game, and just seems disinterested.

It's a funny situation, in the end the Women's game doesn't look great at the top with Serena having her best year at 57, but there is at least youngsters flicking around. Whilst the mens semi's look pretty old, and there's no-one that's been a finalist born in the eighties in the Atp, which when you consider it's 2015 that's pretty astounding.

Yeah I know Krygios but ya know he's really not done that much. Potential is there though with TK, Coric et cetera, but they really aren't breaking through yet.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I think Robson has the talent, but wrist injuries are tricky, and it's like del Potros. Bouchard doesn't have much of a game, and just seems disinterested.

It's a funny situation, in the end the Women's game doesn't look great at the top with Serena having her best year at 57, but there is at least youngsters flicking around. Whilst the mens semi's look pretty old, and there's no-one that's been a finalist born in the eighties in the Atp, which when you consider it's 2015 that's pretty astounding.

Yeah I know Krygios but ya know he's really not done that much. Potential is there though with TK, Coric et cetera, but they really aren't breaking through yet.
I think the men's and women's are both waiting for the next great champion to emerge. It's very unusual for there to be no overlap with Nadal, Djokovic and Murray all 28/29, and for Wawrinka to suddenly start winning Grand Slams when he's older than all of them is even more odd.

grecian

I think the men's and women's are both waiting for the next great champion to emerge. It's very unusual for there to be no overlap with Nadal, Djokovic and Murray all 28/29, and for Wawrinka to suddenly start winning Grand Slams when he's older than all of them is even more odd.
Even Cilic is 26, and Nishikori 25, it does seem treading water time. As I say at least the finalists being dispatched by the old uns in the WTA are a bit younger, even Wozniacki (who seems to have been around forever) is only 24.

I think we have to accept that times have moved on from when the Likes of Becker, , Graf, et al were multi champions in their teens, (they just don't allow kids to play the same schedules they did) but it's becoming a tad moribund seeing the same old faces all the time.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Even Cilic is 26, and Nishikori 25, it does seem treading water time. As I say at least the finalists being dispatched by the old uns in the WTA are a bit younger, even Wozniacki (who seems to have been around forever) is only 24.

I think we have to accept that times have moved on from when the Likes of Becker, , Graf, et al were multi champions in their teens, (they just don't allow kids to play the same schedules they did) but it's becoming a tad moribund seeing the same old faces all the time.
The advanced physical development of the best players makes a big difference too; longer points with less net play as well.