• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Mister Wright said:
I would prefer that to the emotionless horse that Sampras was.
Huh? Hewitt has my respect. He needs his come ons. Sampras functioned better being focussed without speaking.

He also believed to not 'give in' the opponent any cluse to what he is feeling to not display a chink in his armour.

Coming back to the point, its upto the player to analyse how he feels he can perform best. If some one is like a Sharapova or an Agassi its super for the game.

But Sampras was very very good for the game and emotionless was Sampras' choice. McEnroe and others like you criticising that aspect is ridiculous.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pratyush said:
Huh? Hewitt has my respect. He needs his come ons. Sampras functioned better being focussed without speaking.

He also believed to not 'give in' the opponent any cluse to what he is feeling to not display a chink in his armour.

Coming back to the point, its upto the player to analyse how he feels he can perform best. If some one is like a Sharapova or an Agassi its super for the game.

But Sampras was very very good for the game and emotionless was Sampras' choice. McEnroe and others like you criticising that aspect is ridiculous.
I can critisise it all I like. I'm not bagging him as a player - he was a great we all know that. However, as a spectator he would send me to sleep. Guys like Hewitt, McEnroe, Connors, Ivanisavec (sp) were/are all characters and made tennis interesting.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hewitt can win no doubt, but he wont...
i dont want Johansson or Roddick to win it so ill be cheering for the winner of this clash...

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Mister Wright said:
I can critisise it all I like. I'm not bagging him as a player - he was a great we all know that. However, as a spectator he would send me to sleep.
So what? Should Indians complain about Dravid and say he is boring just because of the manner he plays (which was done to a huge amount although I have always found Dravid a pleasure to watch)

A player has a right to chose how best he is most effective. We as spectators shouldnt be critical if its not according to our liking. Why should we expect a player to play differently for enjoying and hamper his game.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
There are many Australians who actually don't like him.

I mean when you go from the great gentleman Pat Rafter to an abusive Lleyton and, well Phillippousis, some just don't like the fall.

He's still a brilliant tennis player, but as there is a lot to like about him, there's also a lot to dislike about him.

cometer

State Regular
Hewitt has the ability to but i find that Federer is just too good at the moment. I think this will be a 4 set match with Hewitt winning the 2nd set. Only time will tell but I believe Federer will win this unless Hewitt produces the form when he was #1.

Mister Wright

Pratyush said:
So what? Should Indians complain about Dravid and say he is boring just because of the manner he plays (which was done to a huge amount although I have always found Dravid a pleasure to watch)

A player has a right to chose how best he is most effective. We as spectators shouldnt be critical if its not according to our liking. Why should we expect a player to play differently for enjoying and hamper his game.
Jesus Christ! I don't want him to change the way he plays to be more appealing to the audience. I am just saying from my point of view I didn't enjoy watching him play as much as other guys on the tour.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Mister Wright said:
I would prefer that to the emotionless horse that Sampras was.
What a joke. Watch Sampras' retirement, that is passion. Just because he was a professional, doesn't mean he should be denigrated.

I'd watch Sampras anyday than Hewitt... anyday. As would most I feel.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Mister Wright said:
Jesus Christ! I don't want him to change the way he plays to be more appealing to the audience. I am just saying from my point of view I didn't enjoy watching him play as much as other guys on the tour.
Gautam Buddha! Okay I felt it was disrespectful by your description as the emotionless horse and inferred you would have wanted him to be more expressive which just isnt some thing practical to expect.

Cheers

Mister Wright

Jono said:
What a joke. Watch Sampras' retirement, that is passion. Just because he was a professional, doesn't mean he should be denigrated.

I'd watch Sampras anyday than Hewitt... anyday. As would most I feel.
That's fine. It was my view. Look through any other threads that have mentioned Sampras - I have called him a great and said he is one of the best players in a clutch situation.

Mister Wright

Pratyush said:
Gautam Buddha! Okay I felt it was disrespectful by your description as the emotionless horse and inferred you would have wanted him to be more expressive which just isnt some thing practical to expect.

Cheers
I want my girlfriend to like cricket, and that isn't going to happen and I don't want her to change because I love her the way she is.

What I have said is not false - he rarely showed emotion and looked like a horse.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Hewitt is actually paying good money for a win.

That being said I, like Mister Wright, feel he was playing better tennis during the US Open than now, and Federer handed his a** on a plate in that match. It was something like 6-0 7-6 6-0 if I'm not mistaken. So he'll have to lift IMO, but its not impossible, just improbable.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Jono said:
Hewitt is actually paying good money for a win.

That being said I, like Mister Wright, feel he was playing better tennis during the US Open than now, and Federer handed his a** on a plate in that match. It was something like 6-0 7-6 6-0 if I'm not mistaken. So he'll have to lift IMO, but its not impossible, just improbable.
Said perfectly. Hewitt is playing very well right now. But Federer is able to lift a gear and has been ahead of Hewitt. So it will take a special effort from Hewitt but he will fight it out.

Hewitt said 'it will be like a final for me' in the post match interview.

Sampras had created a gap away from his contemporaries and that Federer has created such a gap too when every one was thinking when the next big champion will come is amazing.

Its life Jordan retires and some one pops up on the lime light no later. Timing indeed.

Mister Wright

Pratyush said:
Said perfectly. Hewitt is playing very well right now. But Federer is able to lift a gear and has been ahead of Hewitt. So it will take a special effort from Hewitt but he will fight it out.

Hewitt said 'it will be like a final for me' in the post match interview.

Sampras had created a gap away from his contemporaries and that Federer has created such a gap too when every one was thinking when the next big champion will come is amazing.

Its life Jordan retires and some one pops up on the lime light no later. Timing indeed.
I don't think Federer has that Sampras Aura yet. He has been beaten by Safin & Nadal (I think) in the 2 majors this year. When Sampras was at his peak he pretty much won every tournament (except the French). He is not too far away yet.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Pratyush I totally agree. When Sampras retired, I felt it was going to be a while till we had someone absolutely dominate the men's tennis scene like Pistol Pete. I thought Agassi was going to continue doing his thing for a couple of years, and then it'd be an even game with around 5-10 contenders be pretty much on the same level. That has occurred with Safin, Roddick, Hewitt, Nalbandian and co. but Federer has been a level above them all really. I didn't think we'd see that for a long time. It only took about 1-2 years. Amazing.

Perfect timing indeed. :)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Mister Wright said:
I don't think Federer has that Sampras Aura yet. He has been beaten by Safin & Nadal (I think) in the 2 majors this year. When Sampras was at his peak he pretty much won every tournament (except the French). He is not too far away yet.
True, but to have someone step up so quickly and cement the no. 1 spot with dominance so quickly was unexpected. When the no. 1 ranking was flying from Agassi to Roddick to Ferrero I thought it'd continue like that for a while, but Federer stopped that.

But yeah, he's got a bit to go.

Mister Wright

Jono said:
True, but to have someone step up so quickly and cement the no. 1 spot with dominance so quickly was unexpected. When the no. 1 ranking was flying from Agassi to Roddick to Ferrero I thought it'd continue like that for a while, but Federer stopped that.

But yeah, he's got a bit to go.
Yeah, Federer went from being an also-ran to an unbeatable force almost overnight.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Mister Wright said:
I don't think Federer has that Sampras Aura yet.
His contemporaries feel differently. Numerous times players have mentioned that.

True Nadal has been great at clay this season and Coria was the same last season but when was the last time a champ came in who had such a high percentage of wins, even in clay (Federer won an ATP Master this year too beating Coria where Nadal didnt play). Federer is no muck in clay having been brought up in Switzerland and is into the clay court culture as well.

Federer has had the best year this season except two finals. If you check his record though, he is awesome in finals, both over all and grandslams which is exactly why he has the aura about him. Ofcourse he isnt INVINCIBLE but even Sampras lost to the likes of Safin in the US Open. Having said that Federer has a lot to achieve in his career still.

Last edited:

Mister Wright

Pratyush said:
His contemporaries feel differently. Numerous times players have mentioned that.

True Nadal has been great at clay this season and Coria was the same last season but when was the last time a champ came in who had such a high percentage of wins, even in clay (Federer won an ATP Master this year too beating Coria where Nadal didnt play). Federer is no muck in clay having been brought up in Switzerland and is into the clay court culture as well.

Federer has had the best year this season except two finals. If you check his record though, he is awesome in finals, both over all and grandslams which is exactly why he has the aura about him.
There is no doubt that his contemporaries fear him, as they should. However, I would think they still feel if they are playing at 100% they can win. When Sampras was at the top if a player was at 100% he couldn't even control the game, the only way they would win is if Sampras had a shocker - and that was a very rare occurance.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Mister Wright said:
There is no doubt that his contemporaries fear him, as they should. However, I would think they still feel if they are playing at 100% they can win. When Sampras was at the top if a player was at 100% he couldn't even control the game, the only way they would win is if Sampras had a shocker - and that was a very rare occurance.
Yep Sampras said he could win against any one when playing at his best except Agassi at times.

Sampras was excellent with his clutch services in crucial points which helped him have that aura. Federer is, lets just say, gaining that more and more with his more all round game and leave it at that.