• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Chubb

International Regular
I would absolutely hate to be Tim Henman. Imagine being the only person in an entire country who is any good at a sport... the pressure, the expectation. He's had a great career, won lots of tournaments and has a great record and if this is the end, then well done to him anyway. I don't care if he never won it; he kept us in this sport.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Neil Pickup said:
Henman saves two match points.
And fails to save a third.

Andy Murray's the only Brit left :(

In fairness, he brings a lot of the pressure on himself, and he's repeatedly shown an inability to come through in the clutch situations; a serious weakness that he hasn't rectified, continually seemingly ignoring it in the press. Hopefully Murray's a little less unable to win things.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Chubb said:
I would absolutely hate to be Tim Henman. Imagine being the only person in an entire country who is any good at a sport... the pressure, the expectation. He's had a great career, won lots of tournaments and has a great record and if this is the end, then well done to him anyway. I don't care if he never won it; he kept us in this sport.
Yes I do feel for him. You can see it in his face, the pressure he is under. The weight of a country has basically been on his shoulders for the past decade. A shame he could never win the Grand Slam, but IMO he was never that good enough. He's always been a consistent player, but severely lacked something that the greats of the past decade have had.

Still, 2nd round is extremely early for him to be eliminated. Didn't play good tennis in this Wimbledon campaign that's for sure.

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
Kind of a Tribute...but hope its not over yet

Chubb said:
Those were good words...

I dont know what is it about Henman,I m feeling so bad that he lost,even feeling bad for those who turned out on Henman hills and had to have their heart broken...He is a great player and you are right,I wouldn't like to be Tim Henman either...but he has a lot of honour and I respect him a lot just for the pressure and expectations of the whole nation he carries on his shoulders...maybe its getting too heavy with age.I am absolutely disgusted at those who disrespect Henman...I'd have respected him even if didn't I like him...but I do like the guy,one of the role models you can surely have...yes 'a role model' for a strong personality and sportsperson that he is...

I have lost the will to watch rest of Wimbledon...But maybe I will,just to watch Federer lose :cool:

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Come on Wayne Arthurs damn it!

Also Nadal eliminated in the 2nd round. Seeds are tumbling.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
DAMN IT! Wayne Arthurs out in 5 sets, 14-12 in the 5th. Wayne had 2 match points but wasn't able to capitalise, whilst Popp was.

Damn it not happy :mad:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Grr. Had Arthurs in my predictions...

Impressive effort from Andy Murray to beat 14th seed Radek Stepanek in straight sets.

biased indian

International Coach
Jono said:
DAMN IT! Wayne Arthurs out in 5 sets, 14-12 in the 5th. Wayne had 2 match points but wasn't able to capitalise, whilst Popp was.

Damn it not happy :mad:
i had aurthurs in my prediction of wimbeldon

but have popp in my fantasy team so i am a little happy :)

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Chubb said:
I would absolutely hate to be Tim Henman. Imagine being the only person in an entire country who is any good at a sport
How's that revelant to Tim Henman?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
nikhil1772 said:
Thats the probably the worst thing you can ever say...You never ever should rate anybody's patriotism,plus whats wrong in supporting and loving your countryman and just making him feel he is loved no matter what...

Brits may have come to realise that Henman may never win Wimbledon but still they go all out for 'Henmania' and Henman should be proud because no other Tennis player in the world gets such support...I am not a Brit but still I want to be part of Henmania and I'd like to believe Henman can win however unlikely it might be...

I hate people who just change their likes & dislikes because they are winning or losing...just remember why you liked the guy the first time you saw him...I liked Henman because of his game and the way he went about it,he has beaten many great players too and I'll be sad when he retires...

So support Henmania til it is alive and going
er well i dont think kendalls complaint was against tim himself but rather the awful henmania surrounding him, i find it hard to support him myself due to this awful attempt at being patriotic, although i think he is a decent player henmania means that it is hard to take him seriously.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The worst bit about Henman is that the British media fail to realise Tennis goes on 50 weeks of the year, and ignore his record not at Wimbledon.

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
sledger said:
although i think he is a decent player henmania means that it is hard to take him seriously.
Thats so rude towards Tim,after all he has to go through...the weight of pressure and the expectations...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Safin goes down in straight sets to Feliciano Lopez. Disappointing tennis by Safin, but credit must be given to Lopez, he played excellently.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Taylor Dent, the most underrated tennis player going around IMO, has just gotten through in straight sets and will take on Hewitt in the third round. That will be a great match. Dent is the true no. 1 volleyer in tennis today, so it shall be an interesting battle.