• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Would be nice to have the opportunity to see some of the worlds best players at night though, instead of Australian crocks & wannabes. Granted tomorrow night's much won't fall into that category, but still....

If Hewitt/Raonic gets scheduled for Saturday night it'll be a ****ing joke.

Ruckus

International Captain
yeah indeed. There is no good reason why they should be prioritising Hewitt matches any more. He is still a decent player, but nothing more than that and he makes for incredibly boring viewing most of the time. Tomic has replaced him now as the star in Aus tennis, so there is so need to put both in the prime time slot.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
He did what he had to but it was pretty dull. Sliceathon for a while and it was really slow at times. Tomic never really looked on top, just stuck around and let Dolgopolov beat himself.

Ruckus

International Captain
I actually thought it was a pretty interesting match throughout. Felt like you could really feel each player trying to plan the next move tactically. I quite liked the long slice rally's as well...was a nice change from the usual baseline 'slogging'.

I'm not sure if it's a tactical thing or not against specific opponents, but I'd like to see Tomic step up another gear more. He has the ability to hit hard, flat winners with both his backhand and forehand, but he is definately making a deliberate attempt to hold himself back. A clear example of that is when he recieves a high bouncing ball that could be easily put away, he often gently hits it back and lets the opponent stay in the rally - it's like he lacks the killer instinct to finish points quickly. If he unleashes his shots (e.g. second set against Nadal last year) he can be very dangerous though, and he will surely have to do that against Fed to have any chance. The pushing style of game he showed tonight might work against someone as inconsistent as Dolgo, but you feel it isn't going to end well against someone who can match his consistency and patience, in addition to having a far better defensive and attacking game. You look at the past players who have upset big names in the AO in previous years and shot through the tournament, and they have all played fearless, high risk and extremely attacking tennis (e.g. Safin 2005, Baghdatis 2006, Gonzalez 2007, Tsonga 2008, Verdasco 2009).

Last edited:

Dydl

International Debutant
No way I can see Tomic beating Federer. Good run from him though.

Have to feel for Medina Garrigues in that match; her pain was hard to watch. Ouch.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Anybody watching Monfils v Kukushkin?

Such a weird match, Monfils clearly injured, and pretty much limited to playing defensive tennis, yet Kukushkin is struggling to put him away. Henri LeConte's commentary also making it rather interesting.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Monfils has always reminded me of kindling under severe stress. Not surprised to see him hampered by injury, reckon it'll be the story of his career.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lol Warren Smith, the close talker is commentating. NRL caller. He's good at that too btw.

Merrylands HS boy.

What's the go here Jono? Why are they saying its fixed?