• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
That 4th set was nuts. Not sure I've ever seen anything like that. Even more ridiculous than the 2nd set at Wimbledon. He just utterly dominated Rafa.

biased indian

International Coach
Uhhh, If you're referring to me, I'm generally a Serena fan. But her outbursts at the 09 US Open and today were disgraceful IMO. It wasn't that she was angry at the umpire, it was the things she said to the umpire "If you ever see me walking down the hall look the other away"

That's intimidating the umpire.

I don't want her banned ftr. And she obviously won't be.
she gets 2000$ fine.!!!!.....think she earned that in 45 sec court time in US open ..should have got a ban for at least one GS

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yeah, $2,000 would've been a pathetic punishment if it were a first offence, and she was under severe warnings from 2 years ago.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Is rather amazing that the no.2 player has only been able to take 3...3!!!! sets off Novak this year in 6 matches.

shivfan

Banned
For your information, the two year probation expired before this year's US Open began....

The fine is about right, given how silly the code violation was.

BBC Sport - US Open 2011: Serena Williams fined $2,000 for umpire rant

'"The Grand Slam committee director has determined that Ms Williams' conduct, while verbally abusive, does not rise to the level of a major offence under the Grand Slam code of conduct," said a USTA statement.'

The BBC news report sounded so disappointed that Serena didn't get more....
:laugh:
How unknowledgeable can they be? This is not a serious offence by any stretch of the imagination. This is consistent with the punishments meted out to other players over recent years.

You cannot have a small fine for white players, and a major fine (or ban) for black players. They have to be consistent for all players....

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
For your information, the two year probation expired before this year's US Open began....

'"The Grand Slam committee director has determined that Ms Williams' conduct, while verbally abusive, does not rise to the level of a major offence under the Grand Slam code of conduct," said a USTA statement.'

How unknowledgeable can they be? This is not a serious offence by any stretch of the imagination. This is consistent with the punishments meted out to other players over recent years.

You cannot have a small fine for white players, and a major fine (or ban) for black players. They have to be consistent for all players....
Oh **** off.

It doesn't matter if the player is black or white, the ATP and WTA need to become far more assertive when it comes to player interactions with an umpire. The players would cry ****ing blue murder if umpires talked to them the way Roddick, Serena, etc. talk, so it should not work this way.

I don't think Serena should have been banned, but the way chair umpires are treated in tennis is pretty deplorable sometimes and needs to be changed. The way Serena acted in the final, after clearly being in the wrong, was disgusting and I'd be saying the same thing if it was Serena, Stosur or Jesus Christ himself.

Flem274*

123/5

Shivfan, do not bring race into this when it's completely irrelevant. You're compiling a track record of it.

For your information, John McEnroe was once fined $65,000 for a similar offence in a time when prize money was considerably less. Williams was fined $2000 for a vile outburst and made 1.4 million from this tournament.

I don't want to have to visit this thread again for the wrong reasons. Get it sorted.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Great to see Stosur dominate the biggest brat in Women's tennis. She so deserves her win. She has worked so hard to build her game to where it is. Let's hope she can do something similar at the Australian Open.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
When are we going to see the media start putting some pressure on Nadal for these consecutive finals losses? Why don't they have the same expectations for him that they did for Federer?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Is rather amazing that the no.2 player has only been able to take 3...3!!!! sets off Novak this year in 6 matches.
He's actually taken 4 sets (1 at Indian Wells, 1 at Miami, 1 at Wimbledon and 1 at the US Open), but your point is still made. Incredible.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
When are we going to see the media start putting some pressure on Nadal for these consecutive finals losses? Why don't they have the same expectations for him that they did for Federer?
If you're referring to Federer losing to Nadal and the criticism he received for it, vcs made a similar point earlier after Wimbledon.

My only retort to that is Nadal is clearly inferior to Djokovic right now. 4-6 years ago when Federer was losing to Nadal a fair bit, Federer was still far and away the #1 player in the world. He'd beat everyone bar Nadal, whereas Nadal would lose to randoms here and there, but have the upper hand over Federer.

But no doubt Djokovic has a mental edge over Nadal right now. Just look at Nadal's face in that 2nd and 4th set. He's like "wtf do I have to do to get through him?" You never see Nadal like that. In such anguish.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
the one good thing that may come out this is that nadal's march towards federer's slam record has slowed down considerably...now if only someone can keep novak in check (c'mon del potro!)...:D