• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

blahblahblah

International 12th Man
Live Scores Schedule Players Stats Rankings Money Leaders Photo Wire On TV Gear Instruction Daily Spin Forums

More

Live Scores Draws TV Schedule Editors' Picks Photos Podcast Tournament Page
Federer responds to Navratilova No. 1 comments
Ticker - Thursday, March 24, 2011
Email
Print
Subscribe
Roger Federer responds to Martina Navratilova’s contention he’ll never regain the No. 1 ranking. "Maybe she missed the London World Tour Finals," said No. 3 Federer, who won that tournament but has lost to No. 2 Novak Djokovic three times this year. "Maybe she was somewhere else climbing Kilimanjaro. I love her. Look, I think she's been an inspiration to my wife [mirka] and I always love seeing her, but if you had the microphone in front of you and you get a negative question, you get dragged into it. And she's in front of the microphone a lot of times like other experts and eventually you can't just say only good things. You have to also say more negative things."

Federer also said that he feels better physically today than he did at 22 and is more aware of how far he can push his body. Andy Roddick defended the 16-time Grand Slam champion’s recent play. "It's ridiculous," Roddick said. "Whoever wants to criticize Roger for the way he’s playing tennis right now better be very, very good at their job."

may be the old lady is better of minding her own business

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Minding her own business? She's a tennis commentator.

It's hardly the worst comment in the world. She's not saying he'll never win a tournament or a Slam. She's saying he'll never win enough tournaments to be #1 in the world.

Not exactly a groundbreaking observation. I don't think he'll ever be #1 in the world again too. I don't see how that's such a negative thing to say.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think he will regain the No.1 at some point, if only very temporarily. It will be tough, but Federer always gives himself a chance, still reaches plenty of semifinals/finals and I can see him playing upto 33 at least. Only needs a short slump from Nadal and Djokovic.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Minding her own business? She's a tennis commentator.

It's hardly the worst comment in the world. She's not saying he'll never win a tournament or a Slam. She's saying he'll never win enough tournaments to be #1 in the world.

Not exactly a groundbreaking observation. I don't think he'll ever be #1 in the world again too. I don't see how that's such a negative thing to say.
I don't think he plays enough tennis to get back to No. 1.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I think he will regain the No.1 at some point, if only very temporarily. It will be tough, but Federer always gives himself a chance, still reaches plenty of semifinals/finals and I can see him playing upto 33 at least. Only needs a short slump from Nadal and Djokovic.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Looks like Murray is going to make it a habit of making the Australian Open final, losing in crushing fashion, and then being absolutely **** after the tournament all the way up to Wimbledon.

Did it last year. Is doing it this year again. Another first round exit in a Masters 1000 tournament. First Indian Wells, and now Miami. This time to an even worse player than Donald Young (who at least has some talent). This time he lost to Alex Bogomolov Jr :dry:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Looks like Murray is going to make it a habit of making the Australian Open final, losing in crushing fashion, and then being absolutely **** after the tournament all the way up to Wimbledon.

Did it last year. Is doing it this year again. Another first round exit in a Masters 1000 tournament. First Indian Wells, and now Miami. This time to an even worse player than Donald Young (who at least has some talent). This time he lost to Alex Bogomolov Jr :dry:
Wow. Yeah, it's becoming a pattern for him. He's the tennis version of the Saffers.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Also lol @ Cuevas taking out Roddick.

The end is very near for Roddick. Competitiveness and fight can only get you so far.