• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Going by how Rafa played against Devaarman today, he could easily lose to Del Potro.

So proud of Devaarman though. Was a break up in the first set and also had break points at 5-5 in the first set, but was unable to lay the killer blow. But after losing the first he didn't collapse in a heap and fought that 2nd set out.

Great to see Indian tennis being strongly represented in singles for once. Hopefully this is his break out year like many are saying it could be.
:laugh:

I still remember you had a crack at me once because I like to see Australians do well in tennis.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah but you cheer for dickheads like Hewitt and Tomic.

Not awesome blokes Ebden :cool:

Last edited:

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
So you're equating drug use and being a womaniser to being an absolute prick to linespeople like Hewitt or being a self-entitled whinging bitch like Tomic?
Haha, I like Ben Cousins as much as the next person but you are in absolute La La Land if you think he was a saint outside of his drug use and womanising.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Where did I say he was a saint? Most of the AFL players aren't saints, and so many are on recreational drugs. If that's a reason to start disliking players than start crossing off a lot of your list!

He didn't cheap shot any players on the field. He didn't hit any umpires. He didn't cry about losses. So that about covers it for comparable reasons to dislike him in an AFL context compared to Hewitt.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, Cousins is the biggest arrogant **** really, no matter how laghuable his antics are. Look at what he rocked up in to court ffs:

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Furthermore, you are a massive Serena Willians nuthugger when she's practically done the same **** as Hewitt. I have no problem with people liking players who are dickheads, but you have tremendous double standards on this stuff.

My original comment was a friendly jibe :p , but the fact is I'm pretty sure you told me it was silly to like players based purely on their nationality. Would you be a Devvarman fan if he wasn't Indian? No, of course not. You'd say he played pretty well today while Nadal churned out more unforced errors than he has in god knows how long, and he'd go back to being rated on the same level as the likes of Lacko and Sela and whatever other chumps he's ranked near.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I think your Serena comment is harsh as I had a massive go at her at the US Open.

Regarding Devaarman, the guy has some pretty big wraps on him. He smashed Tipsarevic in Serbia in a Davis Cup, and has barely lost a match all year. To compare him to Lacko is silly.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah, Cousins is the biggest arrogant **** really, no matter how laghuable his antics are. Look at what he rocked up in to court ffs:

But how is that relevant to him as a footballer and whether I should like him or not? That's my point. My criticisms of Hewitt have always been tennis related.

Plus I was a Cousins fan when he was at West Coast as well. You won't see me jumping up and down if Hall came to Richmond, as what he did to Staker was ****house.

And finally, I singled out tennis as with regards to nationality and personality. So Cousins should be irrelevant since he plays for a team I support.

Last edited:

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
I think your Serena comment is harsh as I had a massive go at her at the US Open.

Regarding Devaarman, the guy has some pretty big wraps on him. He smashed Tipsarevic in Serbia in a Davis Cup, and has barely lost a match all year. To compare him to Lacko is silly.
Yeah, and in the same way I've never defended Hewitt for some of his antics in the early 2000s. There's no doubt that he was a total wanker back then, but I think he's mellowed out considerably since and seems to be pretty well respected by the rest of the tour. It might very well be because he's not the player he once was and to come off as an arrogant **** when ranked in the seventies would be stupid, or, as I think has happened, he's got older, got married, had kids and has matured a lot. I just don't see the point continually holding the fact that he was a wanker in his very early twenties against him.

Fair call, but big things were predicted of Lacko a couple of years back, too. My point was that had Devvarman been Spanish or Swedish you wouldn't be any more excited about his performances than any other vaguely similarly touted player. I think the point is lose now, though :p .

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
But how is that relevant to him as a footballer and whether I should like him or not? That's my point. My criticisms of Hewitt have always been tennis related.

Plus I was a Cousins fan when he was at West Coast as well. You won't see me jumping up and down if Hall came to Richmond, as what he did to Staker was ****house.

And finally, I singled out tennis as with regards to nationality and personality. So Cousins should be irrelevant since he plays for a team I support.
Likewise Hewitt plays Davis Cup for Australia which is a team I support. It is lunacy to suggest that I should only support him when he's representing Australia in the Davis Cup or Olympics, and call him a ****ing **** when he's just playing on the ATP tour. Lunacy, Jono!

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!

I have to say, when I watch Devvarman play, his ceiling seems to be top-50 (in terms of potential). I love his graft and obviously I'd love him to do well as an Indian, but don't think it's realistic to expect much more than that.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah, and in the same way I've never defended Hewitt for some of his antics in the early 2000s. There's no doubt that he was a total wanker back then, but I think he's mellowed out considerably since and seems to be pretty well respected by the rest of the tour. It might very well be because he's not the player he once was and to come off as an arrogant **** when ranked in the seventies would be stupid, or, as I think has happened, he's got older, got married, had kids and has matured a lot. I just don't see the point continually holding the fact that he was a wanker in his very early twenties against him.

Fair call, but big things were predicted of Lacko a couple of years back, too. My point was that had Devvarman been Spanish or Swedish you wouldn't be any more excited about his performances than any other vaguely similarly touted player. I think the point is lose now, though :p .
You know that I hold Hewitt's racial bias comments to the linesman during the Blake match at the US Open against him mostly. Him mellowing down with kids isn't going to wash over that.

Secondly, I've never once called you on supporting any Australian player for them being Australian except Hewitt. Even Tomic seems like a brat but he's such a good talent that obviously Australian tennis fans will be excited. Same with Stosur, Dokic etc.

I can't remember my post but I'm sure it was along the lines of "why should you support a dickhead just because he's Australian?" It had nothing to do with just supporting a non-dickhead tennis player just because he's Australian.

Whereas clearly Sreesanth is a dickhead for the Indian cricket team, and Jake King looks like a tool as well, but I'm not going to not support India or Richmond because of them, because there are others in the team as well. I'd never expect an Australian fan to not want Watson to get runs in the Ashes because he's a tool on the field.
Likewise Hewitt plays Davis Cup for Australia which is a team I support. It is lunacy to suggest that I should only support him when he's representing Australia in the Davis Cup or Olympics, and call him a ****ing **** when he's just playing on the ATP tour. Lunacy, Jono!
That's a more relevant point to my argument. I concede this point.

But even then, I wouldn't support him because of US Open 2001.

Last edited: