• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
broncoman said:
this is the build up to the french open and has a bearing on the players form...
Which is why I didnt find it out of the way to talk on World Tam Cup here even though it is the French Open thread.

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
Federer wont win this one...he meets Tim Henman in the quarters...actually that has nothing to do with it,coz Federer will lose before or after quarters...I so so want Tim to beat Roger this time if they do meet (if Tim can reach quarters that is)...

*Fingers Crossed*

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
nikhil1772 said:
Federer wont win this one...he meets Tim Henman in the quarters...actually that has nothing to do with it,coz Federer will lose before or after quarters...I so so want Tim to beat Roger this time if they do meet (if Tim can reach quarters that is)...

*Fingers Crossed*
Henman isnt very comfortable on clay and it would be a HUGE surprise if he manages to beat Federer if Henman does infact manage to reach the quarters. I havent had an indepth look at the draw but am really pinning my hopes on Federer winning it and as he said, completing the slam :)

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
Pratyush said:
Henman isnt very comfortable on clay and it would be a HUGE surprise if he manages to beat Federer if Henman does infact manage to reach the quarters. I havent had an indepth look at the draw but am really pinning my hopes on Federer winning it and as he said, completing the slam :)
Federer wont complete the slam...

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
how would he complete the slam by winning the french? even if he had won the australian which he didn't, he would only be half-way to completing the slam...

Agent TBY

International Captain
Anil said:
how would he complete the slam by winning the french? even if he had won the australian which he didn't, he would only be half-way to completing the slam...
Completing the slam because the French Open is the only Grand Slam event he hasn't won yet.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Agent TBY said:
Completing the slam because the French Open is the only Grand Slam event he hasn't won yet.
...which will be a great achievement no doubt, but still wouldn't be completing the slam because it means winning all 4 slams in one calendar year... :)

Agent TBY

International Captain
Anil said:
...which will be a great achievement no doubt, but still wouldn't be completing the slam because it means winning all 4 slams in one calendar year... :)
I'm sorry but I think there is a different term for that,Grand Slam or something.

Or maybe I've been watching too much golf.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Agent TBY said:
I'm sorry but I think there is a different term for that,Grand Slam or something.

Or maybe I've been watching too much golf.
slam is short for grand slam....although nowadays the chances of winning the original slam are so rare even in the wta circuit(graf being the last person to complete it in '88) that they have started using the term much more loosely, the serena slam for instance when she held all 4 titles at the same time but not in the same year...but i have never heard of anyone referring to agassi as completing the slam after he took the french in '99 to have won titles in all 4 majors....and i don't think that can be applied to federer as well if he wins the french this year....

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pratyush said:
Didn't Henman make the semis of the French Open last year?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Mister Wright said:
Didn't Henman make the semis of the French Open last year?
Yep. I actually thought that he was going to have a chance to win a major tournament for a second.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jono said:
Yep. I actually thought that he was going to have a chance to win a major tournament for a second.
LOL

Just for a second though, I hope, wasting any more time on those kind of thoughts is a bit of a waste of time.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Anil said:
slam is short for grand slam....although nowadays the chances of winning the original slam are so rare even in the wta circuit(graf being the last person to complete it in '88) that they have started using the term much more loosely, the serena slam for instance when she held all 4 titles at the same time but not in the same year...but i have never heard of anyone referring to agassi as completing the slam after he took the french in '99 to have won titles in all 4 majors....and i don't think that can be applied to federer as well if he wins the french this year....
Yeah you're correct as far as I know. Federer would have won ALL 4 MAJORS, but not the grand slam if he wins the French this year. The grand slam would have been achieved had he won the French last year, as he would have won the Aus, French, Wimbledon and US all in one caldendar year.

The Serena Slam was impressive in 2002/03 though. I was hoping Federer would have done it last year, but I wasn't backing him this year because I wanted Safin to win the Aus Open (which happened :D) which negated any chance he would have had of winning the grand slam this calendar year. Maybe next year :)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Mister Wright said:
LOL

Just for a second though, I hope, wasting any more time on those kind of thoughts is a bit of a waste of time.
Yeah I felt like an idiot afterwards.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
he was no hope... anyway my official semi final predictions as follows

Federer vs Nadal
Ferrero vs Canas

outside hopes Hrbaty/Ferrer

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mister Wright said:
LOL

He's such a maligned player - amazing how in spite of all the comments he's been there ot thereabouts in the World Rankings for such a while.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
marc71178 said:
He's such a maligned player - amazing how in spite of all the comments he's been there ot thereabouts in the World Rankings for such a while.
No one's doubting that, well they'd be silly too. He's been a very good player for a long long time now. But you'd be ignorant to ignore the precedent he's set for himself over all those years he's been playing now. The fact that he just can't win a major.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Can't really argue with you there, I still like him. Quite a big fan of Henman's, but I'd never bank on him winning one, or even say the words "Henman can win this major".

Last edited: