• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Ugh, awful from Marina "Errorkovic". 28 unforced errors. Worst I've ever seen her play.

The most frustrating part is that there were a few glimpses of her best form - some awesome winners and aces.
From what I saw of the match, Erakovic played very poorly and rather reflected her current ranking. Its such a shame to see her fall from her position midway through 2009 and it would've been a huge boost for the tournament if she'd managed to return to form and at least push Vesnina for the win. Great match immediately after though between Safina and Wickmayer; I know Safina's not the most popular player but I actually wish she'd drawn an easier opponent in the first round and made it deeper into the tournament. At this stage wouldn't bet against a Sharapova-Wickmayer final.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
First full set of tennis i've seen this summer and I dislike Stolle (I think it was stolle?) already. The "old person" wheezing thing he does when he starts or finishes speaking sounds terrible.

(y) Novak
Love Stolle's commentary, but yeah the wheezing is terrible. Should call it a day ASAP. Prefer his commentary to the two ****s who do the ATP Masters events by a long way.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Prefer his commentary to the two ****s who do the ATP Masters events by a long way.
Jason Goodall and Robbie Koenig? Tell me you're ****ing kidding?

WOW.

I have nothing against Stolle, but Jason Goodall and Robbie Koenig are some of the best commentators around! Watch a hell of a lot of tennis, know most if not all players strengths and weaknesses, and never churn out cliches.

If there is one thing I love in life it is their commentary. Am in genuine shock at that statement.

benchmark00

WOW.

I have nothing against Stolle, but Jason Goodall and Robbie Koenig are some of the best commentators around! Watch a hell of a lot of tennis, know most if not all players strengths and weaknesses, and never churn out cliches.

If there is one thing I love in life it is their commentary. Am in genuine shock at that statement.
You also love men in speedos iirc.

Less talk of commentators, more L00ch updates imo.

_Ed_

Went to the tennis today. Geez Sharapova was average. Three or four world-class shots, and some absolute rubbish in between. Don't know how she got away with a straight sets win. Three double faults in a row at one point.

Peng Shuai's comeback to beat Kuznetsova after losing the first 2-6 was awesome.

vcs

WOW.

Yeah, can't stand them.

_Ed_

Went to the tennis today. Geez Sharapova was average. Three or four world-class shots, and some absolute rubbish in between. Don't know how she got away with a straight sets win. Three double faults in a row at one point.
She didn't get away with it today - taken out in straight sets by someone called Greta Arn, ranked 88 in the world. Arn played pretty well tbf, but Sharapova was flat-out terrible - more than 30 unforced errors.

So Safina, Kuznetsova and Sharapova all failed to make it to the semis. Wouldn't have picked that. Wickmayer looking good to defend her title now.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nadal lost a set 6-0 to Lukas Lacko in Qatar! :-O

Also Matty Ebden great win over Istomin. Go Aussie.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
She didn't get away with it today - taken out in straight sets by someone called Greta Arn, ranked 88 in the world. Arn played pretty well tbf, but Sharapova was flat-out terrible - more than 30 unforced errors.

So Safina, Kuznetsova and Sharapova all failed to make it to the semis. Wouldn't have picked that. Wickmayer looking good to defend her title now.
Doubted Safina would make it given she unfortunately drew Wickmayer, but I'm hugely surprised about both Kuznetsova and Sharapova not reaching the final four. Not sure why Sharapova played so poorly today, but the amount of mistakes she made was woeful for a player of her class. Odds on that Wickmayer will win the tournament again, and I'd say deservedly so based on her performances so far.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
What did you write before your edit, you sneaky ****? :ph34r: :p
Didn't have the tongue, but it sounded harsh :p

Listening to Koenig and Goodall commentate on Rafa vs Gulbis right now. Brilliant.

Analysing the flaws in Gulbis' shot selection right now. He's still managed to come back from a break down to take Rafa into the tiebreak.

Rafa feeling ill though. May retire if he loses this set, not sure.

vcs

Koenig has a smug Saffie accent, don't like him at all.

Go Gulbis! Has all the talent in the world but will always lack a brain.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I gave up on Gulbis. Backed him for way too long.

I have money on Rafa here, so watch Gulbis be a prick and win after being **** for the last 6 months.

_Ed_

Yay, Erakovic into the doubles final! A reason for me to still go, despite what's looking a lacklustre singles final.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Went to the Hopman Cup today - not a bad day of tennis all up. Burswood is a great venue for watching tennis, and there was some good stuff. Schiavone never looked fit out there so it was no surprise she retired, but Mahut-Starace was a fun match. Was all Mahut really, but he's one of my favourite guys on tour and seems a pretty cool fella.

Mattek-Sands was too good for Robson, though Robson was injured. Mattek-Sands was at half pace for most of it and played just well enough for the win. Robson has some serious power for such a young girl, though.

Murray was in cruise control as he just smashed Isner. He's the worst type of opponent for Big John because he returns so well, but Isner played really poorly. Serving was off and was making a real hash of some easy shots. I like the big guy, though.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Odds on that Wickmayer will win the tournament again, and I'd say deservedly so based on her performances so far.
Good thing I don't bet on tennis - would never have tipped Greta Arn to go so far, let alone win the final in straight sets. She deserves it, beating the top two seeds, although Wickmayer was pretty poor today. Her attitude really deteriorated, and she basically sulked through the final few games and the presentation. As for the most memorable moment of the day, it might well go to the Kia Motors spokesperson for an unfortunate double entendre...