• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What does you rating Simon overall as a player have to do with whether you'd play him though? I always thought he was lucky to be a top 10 player, and he's no where near an elite player, but he's still so far ahead of Llodra and Benneteau it's not even funny. Gasquet in his prime obviously would be ahead of him, but he's clearly not even close to that level right now.

Simon career: 184-130
Llodra career: 141-165

No contest.

The only time you'd play Llodra is if the final of the Davis Cup was played on indoor hard in Paris. That's not the case here.

That being said, Llodra and Clement's come back in the doubles was epic.
In my opinion, Llodra is the more dangerous player when he gets on a roll. I don't think these HCs are too different from the ones in Paris.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I agree that he's the more dangerous player, but I don't think you go into a Davis Cup final gambling on Llodra getting on a roll. Especially when you already have Gael Monfils, who isn't exactly the most consistent tennis player in the world, leading your team.

If Monfils goes down to Novak here, I think you'd rather a solid Simon in the decider, who has been on the big stage before, against Tipsarevic than a Llodra.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Wow, they actually played Llodra.

Ridiculous.

Troicki leads 6-2 5-2.

vcs you better hope your boy at least puts up a fight. Pathetic so far.

vcs

He's been terrible. :( Can't believe how poorly he's volleyed.

Credit to Troicki though, he has a huge ground game when he's on form. Can hang with most top-10 players, and should have beaten Djokovic in the first round of the US Open really. I'm impressed with his returns and passing shots in this match.

vcs

Thoughts on Troicki/Tipsarevic choice? Obviously Janko got wiped out on Friday, but many a better player has been wiped out by Monfils and he seems the more talented player.
Troicki is in irresistible form. Inspired choice so far.

A bridge too far for France without Tsonga.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah I'd have gone Troicki too, however perhaps not in a decider. Credit to him he wiped the floor with Lol-lodra but he's often been mentally shaky so a final in front of a home crowd was a risky proposition. Tipsarevic would have been safer, but I guess Troicki's last 2-3 months have been so strong it was the right move.

Burgey

Amazing coincidence that Fed won the exhibition match vs Rafa in Zurich in three sets, with Rafa winning the one in Spain in three sets. :ph34r:

These blokes really do seem like decent mates, whcih is fantastic to see. Federer posting on his FB that he was "off to the airport to collect Rafa" then them going out and about for a wander round town. Just think it's great to see two rivals who leave it on the court and are mates off it. Kudos.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Amazing coincidence that Fed won the exhibition match vs Rafa in Zurich in three sets, with Rafa winning the one in Spain in three sets. :ph34r:

These blokes really do seem like decent mates, whcih is fantastic to see. Federer posting on his FB that he was "off to the airport to collect Rafa" then them going out and about for a wander round town. Just think it's great to see two rivals who leave it on the court and are mates off it. Kudos.
The contrast in their friendship compared to Agassi and Sampras is stark.

Sure Agassi and Sampras were rivals when they were young as well, and being countrymen it may have been difficult, but if they had handled themselves like Roger and Rafa it would have been better for US tennis.

vcs

Hehe, I miss the days of McEnroe and Connors (not that I was around back then).

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Federer and Nadal to play off in the Abu Dhabi Exhibition final.

Always love that tournament every year. Produces some excellent tennis matches despite being an exhibition due to the ridiculous prize money.

vcs

Federer should skip these pointless exhibitions. Practice more serve and volley with Annacone, old man! Let the youngsters play these exos..

_Ed_

Tickets to four days of awesome tennis over the next two weeks. Can't wait.

I don't have very high hopes for the Kiwis this week, though. Erakovic at her very best would beat Vesnina, but we haven't seen Erakovic at her very best for 18 months or so. And Jones,... well, she's playing Kuznetsova. Uh, good luck, Sacha.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Rafa beats Federer in two tie-break sets. Good warm-up for both champions.

Now the official tournaments start in Brisbane, Doha, Chennai and Aukland.