Page 505 of 1022 FirstFirst ... 54054554955035045055065075155556051005 ... LastLast
Results 7,561 to 7,575 of 15321
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: *Official* Tennis Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ohtani's jacket View Post
    You're the one who keeps on going on about Wimbledon like it's the be all and end all of tennis. If Henin is a failure for never winning Wimbledon, then Serena is an underachiever for not having anywhere near the same drive as other top players and never truly dominating the sport outside of 2002-03. What has Serena done since 2003 that's been so impressive? Showed up and won some slams? Held the World No.1 for a couple of weeks at a time? Lost at 19 Grand Slam events?

At her peak, Henin was better than Serena. She had the Grand Slams and World No.1 to prove it. Claiming otherwise is like saying Nadal wasn't better than Federer during his time as No.1. Let's not forget that when Henin retired, Serena only had one more Grand Slam than Henin and 2008-09 were not vintage years for women's tennis.
    You're the one who keeps on going on about Wimbledon like it's the be all and end all of tennis. If Henin is a failure for never winning Wimbledon, then Serena is an underachiever for not having anywhere near the same drive as other top players and never truly dominating the sport outside of 2002-03. What has Serena done since 2003 that's been so impressive? Showed up and won some slams? Held the World No.1 for a couple of weeks at a time? Lost at 19 Grand Slam events?

At her peak, Henin was better than Serena. She had the Grand Slams and World No.1 to prove it. Claiming otherwise is like saying Nadal wasn't better than Federer during his time as No.1. Let's not forget that when Henin retired, Serena only had one more Grand Slam than Henin and 2008-09 were not vintage years for women's tennis.
    So would you say Nadal is the tennis player of the 2000s? Of course not. So even if Henin was at her peak better than Serena, what does she have to show for it that Serena doesn't?

And even then, you have not said one reason why Henin is better overall. Not one. Look back at your last few posts.

And lol @ you paying out Serena for showing up and winning Slams like its a negative. Better for her to lose?

To even suggest that the best player this decade was better than someone who has won more slams, on different surfaces, is crazy. Plus she has more come back wins from the death than Henin.

Do I need to remind you of:

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Hate to say I told you so but...

Unbelievable comeback from Serena in the Sony Ericsson Miami final!! She was paying $3.90 after she lost the first set, and without any hesitation I jumped right on. Henin was twice up a break in the 2nd set, and not only served for the match, but had 2 match points and as usual, could not put Serena away. Once again when it comes down to the pressure moments of the match, the clutch points, Henin cannot deliver against Serena.

So happy with that bet... honestly when Serena is on she's unstoppable. Best women's tennis player going around IMO... comfortably, and if she continues to actually give a crap, she'll be no. 1 again in no time.
    After watching the final, looks like despite Kim and Justine's breaks, they still can't close out matches

Kim lead a set and 4-1 in the 2nd, and then 5-1 in the 3rd set tie-break and still struggled... and Henin served for the match and had 2 match points.

Dayum.

Good to have them back still, but they ain't better than Serena.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Serena and Venus are pretty unique in women's tennis as the only non-chokers these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Kim just donated her prize money to the Brisbane Royal Children's Hospital.

I knew she's rich as ****, and the tournament is small, but that's still pretty cool. Great gesture.

State Vice-Captain ohtani's jacket's Avatar
    Henin has plenty to show for it.

She was World No.1 for longer than Serena and won more singles titles than her. She also has exactly the same career winning percentage as Serena.

Serena winning Wimbledon titles in that dodgy rivalry with his sister is about as inspiring as her showing up and winning a Grand Slam every now and again.

If Henin should've won Wimbledon, then Serena ought to have won more Grand Slams if the gap between them is as big as you make out. Only one of them squeezed every last bit of ability out of herself and the other is apparently bored with how good she is.

Granted, no-one will ever view Serena as an underdog, but hey, you tell me which is the better story.

Davydenko getting rather good of late, just beat Nadal after losing the first set 6-0, surley his best chance of a Grand Slam title is coming up in a couple of weeks.

Henin has plenty to show for it.

She was World No.1 for longer than Serena and won more singles titles than her. She also has exactly the same career winning percentage as Serena.

Serena winning Wimbledon titles in that dodgy rivalry with his sister is about as inspiring as her showing up and winning a Grand Slam every now and again.

If Henin should've won Wimbledon, then Serena ought to have won more Grand Slams if the gap between them is as big as you make out. Only one of them squeezed every last bit of ability out of herself and the other is apparently bored with how good she is.

Granted, no-one will ever view Serena as an underdog, but hey, you tell me which is the better story.
    Right, so you basically just like Henin better and dislike Serena. So this whole argument from you is nothing about their actual achievements.

Basically the same as most people.

I can't tell you what to find inspiring, (although her saving match points in Grand Slams year after year is a great example of mental toughness in my opinion), I can have an discussion with you regarding who the better player is. But we're obviously not having that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    Davydenko getting rather good of late, just beat Nadal after losing the first set 6-0, surley his best chance of a Grand Slam title is coming up in a couple of weeks.
    He's on fire!

Davyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyydenko!

Big test now is to see how he goes in the Aust Open. If he crashes out in the first few rounds after being in red hot form it'll just show he doesn't have what it takes for the Slams. Hope he can go far.

He's on fire!

Davyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyydenko!

Big test now is to see how he goes in the Aust Open. If he crashes out in the first few rounds after being in red hot form it'll just show he doesn't have what it takes for the Slams. Hope he can go far.
    How are Djokevic and Del Potro going so far this season? Have not really heard anything about either of them yet. Think Davydenko has got a real chance but just got a feeling that Rafa is going to defend his title, seems to have started the season in much better form.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    How are Djokevic and Del Potro going so far this season? Have not really heard anything about either of them yet. Think Davydenko has got a real chance but just got a feeling that Rafa is going to defend his title, seems to have started the season in much better form.
    Both had a bit of a break - not played since the Masters final - there's a "friendly" tournament in Melbourne before the big 'un, they're both playing that. Along with Verdasco, Söderling, González, Tsonga and Haas.
    Messi scores on the rebound.

Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

State Vice-Captain ohtani's jacket's Avatar
    Right, so you basically just like Henin better and dislike Serena. So this whole argument from you is nothing about their actual achievements.

Basically the same as most people.

I can't tell you what to find inspiring, (although her saving match points in Grand Slams year after year is a great example of mental toughness in my opinion), I can have an discussion with you regarding who the better player is. But we're obviously not having that.
    I don't dislike Serena; I just think you're being grossly unfair to a woman who's accomplishments were equal to Serena's up until she retired if not more dominant since she did things that hadn't been done by a woman since Seles and Graf.

It's not like Serena dominated Justin head to head either: 7-6 in Serena's favour. Your whole argument about Henin is that she never won Wimbledon and that she didn't have the mental strength that Serena possesses, yet time after time Henin bounced back from a loss with a title win. Had she not retired when she did, she may very well have had more Grand Slam tiles than Serena by now and remained No.1 for longer.

You make it seem like Serena is Graff and Henin is Arantxa Sánchez Vicario, but Henin dominated women's tennis for a good few years before Serena's comeback.

Cricketer Of The Year SirBloody Idiot's Avatar
    I think it is pretty hard to split Serena and Henin. There's probably a case to say that Henin was at least as good on clay as Williams was on grass last decade, and that she was no worse on grass than Serena was on clay.

Channel 7 leaves the Roddick vs. Stepanek final with Roddick leading 7-6 4-1

It's now 5-6 in Stepanek's favour.

Got I hate Channel 7.

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    Channel 7 leaves the Roddick vs. Stepanek final with Roddick leading 7-6 4-1

It's now 5-6 in Stepanek's favour.

Got I hate Channel 7.
    Heard there's no coverage of the AO on fox this year so its only what you can get on 7 is that correct? And the night session starts at the same time as Home & Away so all the matches will be delayed coverage...good job for the internet eh
    Dave Mohammed >>>> You

Request Your Custom Title Now! Simon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by superkingdave View Post
    Heard there's no coverage of the AO on fox this year so its only what you can get on 7 is that correct? And the night session starts at the same time as Home & Away so all the matches will be delayed coverage...good job for the internet eh
    Yeh it will be the same as it always has been on 7, they will start the coverage about halfway through the womens match in the night session. It's gonna be pretty disappointing not being able to go home from work at 3 in the arvo and watch some good matches with the likes of Nalbandian, Tsonga, Djokovic, Haas, Ferrero etc... on fox this year. Instead we'll be stuck with constant Federer, Murray, Hewitt, Rafa, Roddick on repeat.

Don't forget the talentless...i mean talented Dellacqua etc. etc.
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

Thread Information