• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Worth bearing in mind that the surface also suits him more than Australia. Think he played very well in the Australian Open final against Murray, who was playing his career-best tennis around then.

Blaze 18

Banned
Federer played exceptionally well. He was equally as dominant at the Australian Open but faced an easier draw in Melbourne. For him to dominate four of the top five players in the world was something special.

My personal view is that he'll finish up with 18 Grand Slams.
I hope he ends up with at least twenty. I would hate it if Nadal were to overtake him :(

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Worth bearing in mind that the surface also suits him more than Australia. Think he played very well in the Australian Open final against Murray, who was playing his career-best tennis around then.
Yeah really we're not picking between much, they were both dominating performances by Federer. He still looked like losing to Davydenko at one stage, or if not losing, being in serious trouble. He also lost a set to Andreev :dry:

vcs

Yeah really we're not picking between much, they were both dominating performances by Federer. He still looked like losing to Davydenko at one stage, or if not losing, being in serious trouble. He also lost a set to Andreev :dry:
Yeah, actually Davydenko hit a terrible patch to let Federer back in it, and Federer was lucky not to go 2 sets to 1 down against Andreev IIRC. The matches against Hewitt, Tsonga and Murray were fine, fine performances however.

Blaze 18

Banned
JMDP will make it really difficult for Rafa to win more Slams than Roger I reckon.
As a Roger Federer fan, I hope you are right. I can see him catching up real soon, though. He is five years younger than Federer, isn't he ? That is a potential twenty slams, out of which he has to win six to equal Federer's record. I can certainly see it happening, given he won three this year alone.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
Nasal is still seven Grand Slams behind Federer and eight away from overtaking him. That's a lot of tennis. Nasal has youth on his side but we don't know how long his body will hold up for. If he wants to make a serious push for the record then he may have to rethink his schedule.

vcs

Nasal is still seven Grand Slams behind Federer and eight away from overtaking him. That's a lot of tennis. Nasal has youth on his side but we don't know how long his body will hold up for. If he wants to make a serious push for the record then he may have to rethink his schedule.
Nice nickname, he sure has a nasal grunt. :ph34r:

To his credit, his scheduling decisions this year have been top-quality and he has made sure he has peaked at Major tournaments every single time after Australia.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
yeah would like to see another classic with nadal with a "positive" result this time...:ph34r:
Haha misread that as a steroid joke against Rafa for a second and was going to post the angry icon. But you were just referring to a Fed win lol.

Blaze 18

Banned
My bad, I thought Rogerer Federer had fifteen Grand Slams.

You make a fair point about the possibility of Nadal's body not holding up, but I reckon he will catch up with Federer. He is virtually guaranteed another three-four French Open titles, he is just too strong there.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Going to be interesting to see how some of the older hands go next year, namely Roddick, Hewitt and Davydenko. I can't see Hewitt going near the top twenty again where he hovered for a bit this year and I think we could see Davydenko fall down even further pretty quickly. He's sort of silently slipped to #21. Roddick will stay there and abouts, though. He's had pretty amazing longevity.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Roddick's been very solid over the years, and has had a very good career all things being said (not everyone can be a champion, and 98% of players would settle for a career like he has had) but I reckon he's going to be in trouble next year as well.

Davydenko at least had the injury excuse for most of the year. But I think he's in trouble too.

vcs

Would love it if Davydenko ended 2011 in the top 10 and made one last Slam run. So good to watch.

vcs

Sooo.. who's going to win the Davis Cup? Serbia vs. France in Belgrade. Djokovic and Tipsarevic vs. Monfils and Simon. Simon looks like a poor choice to me.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
With Tsonga injured who would you play? Gasquet? Llodra? Benneteau?

Simon will be solid. The other two are unpredictable.

vcs

With Tsonga injured who would you play? Gasquet? Llodra? Benneteau?

Simon will be solid. The other two are unpredictable.
Simon is crap, never rated him. I'd play Llodra in the reverse singles over him.

Anyway, France 2-1 up.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
What does you rating Simon overall as a player have to do with whether you'd play him though? I always thought he was lucky to be a top 10 player, and he's no where near an elite player, but he's still so far ahead of Llodra and Benneteau it's not even funny. Gasquet in his prime obviously would be ahead of him, but he's clearly not even close to that level right now.

Simon career: 184-130
Llodra career: 141-165

No contest.

The only time you'd play Llodra is if the final of the Davis Cup was played on indoor hard in Paris. That's not the case here.

That being said, Llodra and Clement's come back in the doubles was epic.