• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Loved that backhand winner to break in the first set. Hit a few of those today.

Think Federer is still in a fairly good position to pick up Majors in the near future, despite his age, as long as someone in the draw can take Rafa out for him. Murray and Djokovic (despite his win in the USO over Federer) still just lack that little extra needed to deny these two in a big final, I feel.

Hopefully Del Potro will get over his injuries and step up next year, though.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
As good as this year was (well I guess if you're a Rafa fan), you could really feel the lack of JMDP. Hopefully he'll come storming back, because I love him. He's superior to Soderling and Berdych, and with Roddick most definitely near the end now, and Tsonga far too inconsistent, he'd add a lot to the game.

By the way, with Murray making the semis, does he overtake Soderling and go back to #4?

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
well done fed! it's important for him to stay ahead of nadal on non-clay surfaces i believe...for all-time appraisals...a fit and healthy del potro would jump ahead of djokovic and murray in my opinion...those two always freeze against either roger or rafa in big events and del potro has proved that he has the game and the mental fortitude to take out both in majors...

Last edited:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
I believe so.

So sick of hearing about how bad Federer's year has been. Aside from Roddick and Hewitt, that's a career best year from everyone from 3 on down.
well two qtrs and a semi at slams qualifies as a bad year for him, doesn't it? although he has done better at non-slam events this year compared to last year...

Blaze 18

Banned
Meh, does this win really count for much in the overall scheme of things ? Nadal has won three grand slams this year, and has generally had the wood on Roger Federer in the tournaments that matter most.

Last edited:

vcs

Meh, does this win really count for much in the overall scheme of things ? Nadal has won three grand slams this year, and has generally had the wood on Roger Federer in the tournaments that matter most.
Not directly. They met twice this year and ended 1-1.

Meh, I know it's winning the tournaments that ultimately matters but the H2H thing has been brought up enough in the past to discredit Federer, so I'm now going to use it when it's not against him.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
well two qtrs and a semi at slams qualifies as a bad year for him, doesn't it? although he has done better at non-slam events this year compared to last year...
Sure, if you only pay attention to Grand Slams, but he's clearly been the best player in the hardcourt season thus far. Nadal was titleless for 11 months and it didn't exactly dog him, did it?

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
I'd say it was more important for Federer to beat Nadal than vice versa, but the World Tour finals is the most important tournament outside of the majors and I'm sure Nadal would like to win a few before his career's over.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
one of them is arguably the greatest player tennis has seen so far and the other is on track to reach the same or even a higher level of greatness...wouldn't suprise most people if they end up no: 1 and no: 2 all time...so whenever these two meet, it is significant...not just for the year but while evaluating two incredible careers overall...

Blaze 18

Banned
Not directly. They met twice this year and ended 1-1.

Meh, I know it's winning the tournaments that ultimately matters but the H2H thing has been brought up enough in the past to discredit Federer, so I'm now going to use it when it's not against him.
I am not trying to discredit Roger Federer at all, I am a huge fan of his. However, there is no denying that he has not had a great year, and this win does not really change that for mine.

Blaze 18

Banned
I'd say it was more important for Federer to beat Nadal than vice versa, but the World Tour finals is the most important tournament outside of the majors and I'm sure Nadal would like to win a few before his career's over.
Fair enough.

one of them is arguably the greatest player tennis has seen so far and the other is on track to reach the same or even a higher level of greatness...wouldn't suprise most people if they end up no: 1 and no: 2 all time...so whenever these two meet, it is significant...not just for the year but while evaluating two incredible careers overall...
True. But my question is how much importance do we attach to these tournaments ?

Last edited:

vcs

Certainly doesn't change that he had a disappointing year at the Slams after Australia. Worth keeping in mind though that he's 29, and everybody bar Nadal would kill for what he still managed.

Winning his fifth YEC is good, puts his numbers up there among the best indoor players of all time in Lendl and Sampras.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yes it does. It doesn't mean Fed has had the better year, but Rafa wanted this tournament badly.

It's not a regular Masters tournament. It's the end of year championships, which has heaps of history and tradition, and Rafa is still yet to win one sadly :(

As Becker recently said, it's not as physically demanding as a Slam to win, but you have to play tennis to a higher quality to win it.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
Federer played exceptionally well. He was equally as dominant at the Australian Open but faced an easier draw in Melbourne. For him to dominate four of the top five players in the world was something special.

My personal view is that he'll finish up with 18 Grand Slams.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The only reason I think this tournament was perhaps better from him than this year's Australan Open is because in the Australian Open he was forced to fight back against Davydenko (which in itself was a good thing obviously). But in terms of pure dominance, he was still a set and a break down at one stage there.

Whereas he never looked like losing at all during this year's World Tour Finals, and only Rafa was able to force him to a third set. One which he smashed Rafa 6-1.