Page 501 of 1028 FirstFirst ... 4014514914995005015025035115516011001 ... LastLast
Results 7,501 to 7,515 of 15416
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: *Official* Tennis Thread

School Boy/Girl Cricketer Hit_Wicket's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dydl View Post
    Henin vs Ivanovic semi-final at the Brisbane International should be interesting. Really looking forward to that.
    ATWA.

It's difficult to gauge so early in her comeback, but I personally thought Henin didn't play too well against Czink. She persists with an aggressive approach but atm is making a few too many unforced errors and would also want to improve her service percentage. Her backhand is still poetry in motion, but it wasn't immune from error, while the forehand let her down on numerous ocassions. In the end her experience and proficiency under pressure probably got her over the line.

I'm also not convinced that the slight adjustments in her technique and overall game are having the desired effect. The thing I used to love about her, as well as the mental fortitude and determination, was that she never seemed to play unnecessary shots and could grind her opponent down defensively, whereas now she is always going for the killer blow.

Hopefully she can improve with match practice and play better against Ivanovic. Should be a cracker of a semi-final tomorrow!

Request Your Custom Title Now! Simon's Avatar
    I only watched the first set but her serving was terrible.

Henin is playing like Ivanovic. Attack attack and attack.

So ironic. Everyone would compliment her as using finesse instead of power, and she's come back with a game solely based on hart hitting.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer Hit_Wicket's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Henin is playing like Ivanovic. Attack attack and attack.

So ironic. Everyone would compliment her as using finesse instead of power, and she's come back with a game solely based on hart hitting.
    ATWA, sadly. It's been disappointing, to say the least.

Apparently she thinks that being more hardline is the only way she can survive a few more years on tour.

Was so looking forward to her comeback as well and hoping that it would reinvigorate the WTA.

Am really missing the grace and finesse of old. Wish she would rethink her strategy.

Depends, give her new strategy some time.

If she can compete consistently with Williams sisters, Clijsters, Azarenka, Safina etc. (outside of clay) by out-hitting them, then maybe the tactical change is worth it.

International Debutant
    Yeah, it's an interesting change of strategy, and she definitely hasn't hit her A-Game yet, but this is her first tournament in 18 months or so, so it hasn't been a bad effort so far. I think she's also still trying to test out her new style of play, so having two tournaments before the Aus Open can only help her to see whether she should keep it, or revert to more tried and tested ways. Tomorrow's semi will really help show where she's at. Ivanovic hasn't been playing too fantastically, based on her game today; she was getting quite frustrated several times throughout the match. She won in large part because her opponent was just very hit-and-miss.

Should Henin and Clijsters win their semis though, that could be a final to remember.
    Supporting: NSW & Australia, women's cricket

Yeah Ivanovic would have lost to a top 10 opponent had she played any so far. She's fallen so far away from where she was 2 years ago.

Henin's performance against Petrova in the first round was seriously impressive. Petrova gave it her all and didn't play bad tennis, and Henin just counter-attacked.

Look I can understand why so many fans loved Henin and hated the Williams sisters (though I seriously disagree with anyone who says the Williams sisters brought power tennis to the women's game - Seles did that) but if Henin wants to win against them consistently, and the up coming players who also have great power, she's going to have to adapt. I find it quite interesting that she's done it.

I won't rule her out of finally getting a Wimbledon crown if she manages to keep her head this year.

Reckon she's a lock for the French. The minute that market opens i will load up big on her.

Btw just incase I haven't said this already, this is an even year, so Serena, as much as I love her, probably won't win the Aust Open

Henin destroys Ana

Dementieva struggling against Laura Robson.

How the **** Dementieva is #5 in the world is beyond me. How she beats good players like Serena on occasion is also confusing.

Guess she's reasonably solid, but **** me her serve is woeful.

Horrendous performance by Schiavone in the semi in Auckland - Pennetta took the second set 6-0 in about 20 minutes.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Simon's Avatar
    Henin destroys Ana

Dementieva struggling against Laura Robson.

How the **** Dementieva is #5 in the world is beyond me. How she beats good players like Serena on occasion is also confusing.

Guess she's reasonably solid, but **** me her serve is woeful.
    Tbf her serve has improved, in years gone by social players would have been embarassed to have a serve like her second serve.

Btw just realised, is Novak taking an extended break?

Not a bad idea if he is, considering the amount of tennis he played at the end of last year.

Btw just realised, is Novak taking an extended break?

Not a bad idea if he is, considering the amount of tennis he played at the end of last year.
    Depends on what you mean by time off:

Novak Djokovic trains for two hours in hot, deserted Kooyong stadium | Herald Sun

Cheers Vic.

Forgot Novak was playing Kooyong.

Doing it so he's ready to wipe Nadal off the court iirc. We'll be seeing more of this Jono

Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

Stoked to see Henin back on the Womens circuit as well, WAG. Don't care if she doesn't win anything else this season, as long as she wins Wimbeldon

Thread Information