• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Haider-Maurer looking like he'll beat fellow Austrian Melzer to win the Vienna tournament.

Amazing if he does it, since he lost in the qualifying stages and got through the main draw as a lucky loser!

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Haider-Maurer looking like he'll beat fellow Austrian Melzer to win the Vienna tournament.

Amazing if he does it, since he lost in the qualifying stages and got through the main draw as a lucky loser!
I think he retired in the qualifying game because he was guaranteed a main draw spot, but he was still well down so it has been pretty amazing. Not to mention he was apparently awful against Muster in the first round and lucky to win.

Didn't someone like Ram do the same in one of those US tournaments last year/this year?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Clijsters paying 1.81 against Wozniacki in the WTA Tour Finals.

Put your house on that I reckon.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)

Lol, nice jinx from me there. Choked when serving for the match.

Carn Melzer!

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kimmiiieeeeeeee!!! :D

Amazing comeback. WAG. :notworthy

EDIT : Meant "comeback" in the sense return from retirement, obviously. Nearly threw this particular match away but she manages to pull out the tough ones these days.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Clijsters paying 1.81 against Wozniacki in the WTA Tour Finals.

Put your house on that I reckon.
Phew.

Almost **** myself when she let a 4-1 lead slip in the second and then went a break down first game in the third.

vcs

The commentators on the stream I was watching were so pro-Wozniacki it was cringeworthy. It's almost as if they desperately want her to beat a top player and win an important tournament to validate that No. 1 ranking. They should just accept that she's there by playing many more tournaments than Serena and Clijsters. That's no slight on her, because those 2 are legendary players, but I don't see how it's any different to Jankovic/Ivanovic getting to No. 1.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
You're definitely right that she isn't truly a #1 and has benefited by playing lots of tournaments whereas Serena and Henin haven't played since Wimbledon I believe, and Kim and Venus were also injured. But that's fine, good on her for playing her heart out.

Serena, Henin and Kim are obviously better at this stage. Probably Venus too when push comes to shove.

vcs

You're definitely right that she isn't truly a #1 and has benefited by playing lots of tournaments whereas Serena and Henin haven't played since Wimbledon I believe, and Kim and Venus were also injured. But that's fine, good on her for playing her heart out.

Serena, Henin and Kim are obviously better at this stage. Probably Venus too when push comes to shove.
Yeah. But I think she'll do better than Safina/Ivanovic/Jankovic in the long run because she seems to be willing to improve and add stuff to her game. She'll always be a hardworking, grafting type player but she is capable of making some good shots when she needs to. Her forehand was pretty good in patches.

That said, at the Majors, I still see the old guard taking home the silverware. Unless injury strikes, or at the French, which is a free-for-all in the WTA.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah she's better than those three.

Ana won a Slam though, which Safina and Jankovic probably will never do.

vcs

Yeah she's better than those three.

Ana won a Slam though, which Safina and Jankovic probably will never do.
She was seriously good in that brief patch in which she made 3 Slam finals and won one. The decline has been steep after that.

_Ed_

Got me some tennis tickets...I think.

Payments have gone through for two days of the women's tournament and two days of the men's. Just nervously awaiting confirmation emails aws.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
damn it clijsters, you are a 3 time slam champion, why would you have jitters against someone like wozniacki? the wta ranking is a joke...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
No it's not. The system is the fine. Serena, Kim and Henin aren't playing tournaments because of injury.

Unless you think Grand Slams should be worth even more points than they already are? They're worth around 8 times more than most tournaments or something.

vcs

The ranking system is OK but the quality of the next generation of women's tennis players is very worrying. Maybe we are starting to see the ill-effects of homogenizing surface speeds, huge racquet heads, and strings with ridiculously high margin for error. Not much nuance or variety in the games of most of the upcoming players on the women's side. Mindless baseline bashing, or relentless retrieving FTW.