• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nah, one "I told you so" is enough for me :p

**** I'd love to go to Super Saturday at the US Open. Must be amazing.

How much do tickets cost crux?

Cruxdude

International Debutant
You're disappointed in having seen one of the matches that will be a timeless classic watched for decades to come? That match was unbelievable!

Also I think you're right about Nadal there (cue Jono joining in to rip me a new one via my pre-US Open attitude towards him).
It was a very good game but wouldn't call it a classic. Immediately after the final point I felt really bad that Federer had thrown away 2 match points. But after a few minutes I did get over the disappointment.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Nah, one "I told you so" is enough for me :p

**** I'd love to go to Super Saturday at the US Open. Must be amazing.

How much do tickets cost crux?
Yeah it was great. The atmosphere is really awesome. In the final set or something the section next to mine started a mexican wave and it stopped only after two round and that too only when we realized that the players had started the next game regardless of the mexican wave.

Nadal's game was really boring though with Youzhny not at all rising to the occasion. His one break in the third set got him a standing ovation from the crowd though.

The only sad part of the day (other than Federer losing) was that my friend dropped his super zoom lens and broke it when walking up to our seats at the start of the game.

The tickets were like $84 for the farthest away seats from the action. Buying them is the tough part though. They get over in a few hours. I thought I wouldn't be able to see a thing but surprisingly the view was pretty good.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
yeah it is at the very least arguable...he is clearly ahead of everyone outside of laver, federer, sampras and borg....
If he is clearly ahead then how is it arguable ?

Also clearly ahead on what basis ? No. of Majors ?

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Don't know much about Tennis ...but really how good is this guy from Pak...Aisam? I know he only plays doubles....

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't know much about Tennis ...but really how good is this guy from Pak...Aisam? I know he only plays doubles....
He was awesome in the US Open. Runner up in men's doubles alongside Bopanna and mixed doubles as well.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
yeah it is at the very least arguable...he is clearly ahead of everyone outside of laver, federer, sampras and borg....
Borg dips down having won only two of the four Grand Slams. Admittedly his career was at a time when the Australian Open was somewhat forsaken by the top players.(I still have a cold sweat over two consecutive finals between Johan Kriek and Steve Denton).

Laver is the one that should generate most debate as he won all four Grand Slams as an amateur in 1962 and then again as a pro in 1969. There's a tendancy to believe he would have broken all records if tennis had always been open. There's little doubt that he would have won more titles in the mid-60's, but he might not have won some of his earlier titles had he been competing against Rosewall, Gonzales and the other pro's when he was still learning his trade. He also only had to play Grand Slams on grass and clay.

Where Nadal stands is hard to quantify as he's never had to play on a proper fast grass court. He might still have won Wimbledon 20 years ago but there are serious doubts,

vcs

Borg dips down having won only two of the four Grand Slams. Admittedly his career was at a time when the Australian Open was somewhat forsaken by the top players.(I still have a cold sweat over two consecutive finals between Johan Kriek and Steve Denton).

Laver is the one that should generate most debate as he won all four Grand Slams as an amateur in 1962 and then again as a pro in 1969. There's a tendancy to believe he would have broken all records if tennis had always been open. There's little doubt that he would have won more titles in the mid-60's, but he might not have won some of his earlier titles had he been competing against Rosewall, Gonzales and the other pro's when he was still learning his trade. He also only had to play Grand Slams on grass and clay.

Where Nadal stands is hard to quantify as he's never had to play on a proper fast grass court. He might still have won Wimbledon 20 years ago but there are serious doubts,
You have already given the reason why the fact that Borg hasn't won the Australian shouldn't be held against him. We must keep in mind that players were effectively competing for 3/4 Slams in the '70s (non-Australians) because they did not want to make the long trip down under as it would mean missing Christmas. Having said that, Borg had promised that had he won the USO in one of his 4 final appearances, he would have made the trip to try and complete the calendar year Slam.

Also, it's amazing how much tennis guys like Laver, Rosewall, Gonzales etc. played on various professional tours. I mean, they have head-to-heads against each other running into hundreds of matches! :-O I have absolutely no doubt Laver would have around 20 Slams if he hadn't missed five years worth of Slams in his prime. Winning each Major atleast twice puts him on a different plane to everyone else to have played the game.

Lendl is also under-rated in these discussions, he dominated the toughest era in men's tennis, but understandably had a less-than-great Slam final win ratio (8/19) as he was competing with the likes of McEnroe, Connors, Wilander, Becker, and Edberg.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Anyone watching the Davis Cup? Aust v Belgium.

Hewitt just lost the third set, but still leads 7-6 7-5 2-6

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Oh dear, someone's car got rear-ended outside the tennis centre. Crowd laughed when they heard the noise. Happened when Bemelmans was serving lol :ph34r:

vcs

India hosting Brazil. Would absolutely love to see us in the World Group again next year.