• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Spudsy2061

U19 Cricketer
Federer is already in decline, isn't he? Has been since 2008 TBH, though he was managing to peak during Grand Slam tournaments until this year. The bad news is Nadal looks like a bigger, badder version of Federer in his dominating days.
You say this as if Rodger didn't win the Australian Open this year...

Is he in decline? Yes. Is he not going to win another slam? No.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Federer is already in decline, isn't he? Has been since 2008 TBH.
This is true, and I was very vocal about it early last year. However where I was wrong was that the decline was not enough to have Murray and Djokovic be side-by-side to him. Perhaps in 12 months that may be the case, but right now he's generally still good enough to be better than them when it matters most.

2011 will be interesting. Fed to not play in a final in three consecutive Slams just feels weird.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is true, and I was very vocal about it early last year. However where I was wrong was that the decline was not enough to have Murray and Djokovic be side-by-side to him. Perhaps in 12 months that may be the case, but right now he's generally still good enough to be better than them when it matters most.

2011 will be interesting. Fed to not play in a final in three consecutive Slams just feels weird.
Age gets the better of everyone though. Fed just has these days now where his feet don't move and he looks awful. And it's not necessarily a form thing, it's just a sign of aging I suppose. It was like chalk and cheese, his quarter and semi performances.

Again, not detracting from Djokovic who played really well and was the better player, but Fed just had one of those days that are becoming more frequent where his feet just get lazy and don't move at all well.

I didn't see the final, I gather Novak played pretty well then? Did Arse-picker wash his hands before putting them on the trophy, or shaking his opponent's hand?

Spudsy2061

U19 Cricketer

Shall we make predictions then? I say:

Aussie Open Semis: Federer def. Murray, Nadal def. Djokovic
Aussie Open Final: Nadal def. Federer

French Open Semis: Nadal def. Berdych, Soderling def. Cilic
French Open Final: Nadal def. Soderling

Wimbledon Semis: Nadal def. Roddick, Muarry def. Federer
Wimbledon Final: Nadal def. Murray

US Open Final: Murray def. Nadal, Federer def. Djokovic
US Open Final: Federer def. Nadal

^^^ Part of me wants to pick Murray to win the 2011 US Open since he plays best there but he's also played very well at the Aussie but that's easily Fed's tournament.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Fed's 2nd and 4th sets weren't purely age surely. Some awful concentration issues. I don't recall Agassi or other older players losing concentration like he did in those sets.

He'll probably come out firing in the World Tour finals. Predicting Rafa vs. Fed final there.

Burgey

Fed's 2nd and 4th sets weren't purely age surely. Some awful concentration issues. I don't recall Agassi or other older players losing concentration like he did in those sets.

He'll probably come out firing in the World Tour finals. Predicting Rafa vs. Fed final there.
Yeah I dunno, maybe the age thing affects the concentration too. God knows it affects mine.

Who knows, maybe the concentration thing stems from frustration at the feet not moving like they always do anymore. Only he knows I suppose.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)

If Del Potro plays enough tennis between now and the French, and avoids Rafa in his side of the draw, I reckon he can make the final.

vcs

Nadal is top 3-4 players of all time ??
Sorry, Open Era only. My rating :

Laver
Federer
Sampras/Borg
Nadal
Lendl/Agassi

I think of Laver as pre Open Era (though he won his 2nd Grand Slam in '69), so excluding him, Nadal completes the top 4.

Spudsy2061

U19 Cricketer

Those are always a joy to watch.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Surely it's next to impossible to predict the 4 semi finalists when number 3 and 4 seeds are randomly put against numbers 1 and 2 - would suggest that the odds are at least 1 of the 4 will have Federer and Nadal in the same half of the draw next year.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
If Fed really wants to though, he can enter enough tournaments between now and the Aust Open to become #2 in the world again. Particularly if he wins the World Tour Finals.

Novak has to defend 1000 points in Paris.

vcs

I don't see Federer suddenly electing to play a heavy schedule to regain his ranking. He will go the Sampras route and play less, experiment in the ATP tournaments and look to peak at Slams, with mixed results. You cannot do it any other way after a 10-11 year long career and 800+ matches on the clock...

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member

^^^ Part of me wants to pick Murray to win the 2011 US Open since he plays best there but he's also played very well at the Aussie but that's easily Fed's tournament.
Fairly curious prediction for the US Open.
Assuming the top line is supposed to be the Semis then Murray will beat Nadal but Nadal goes through to the final.:unsure:

vcs

That makes it sound as if Federer was winning on intimidation alone TBH, which is not the case. I'd suggest Nadal is a great player, and is where he is due to exceptional talent. Both of them are exceptionally talented and intensely focused.

Spudsy2061

U19 Cricketer
Fairly curious prediction for the US Open.
Assuming the top line is supposed to be the Semis then Murray will beat Nadal but Nadal goes through to the final.:unsure:
Saw the mistake. Sorry for that. Make it Murray def. Nadal. Federer def. Djokovic in the semis. Federer def. Murray in the Final.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Went to the US open semis. Had a great time but felt really down that I made my debut at the Grandslams in one of the 2 matches that Federer has lost at the US open in the last 7 years.

Was pretty confident of a Federer win especially after the first set. Again after 4 sets believed that Djokovic would crack under the pressure (which he almost did). Really disappointing.

One thing though, throughout the game the service returns by Djokovic was great. There were not many free points that Federer got on his first serves.

About Nadal I think he is climbing the ATG ladder in a hurry now. Really admire the guy.

Spudsy2061

U19 Cricketer
Went to the US open semis. Had a great time but felt really down that I made my debut at the Grandslams in one of the 2 matches that Federer has lost at the US open in the last 7 years.

Was pretty confident of a Federer win especially after the first set. Again after 4 sets believed that Djokovic would crack under the pressure (which he almost did). Really disappointing.

One thing though, throughout the game the service returns by Djokovic was great. There were not many free points that Federer got on his first serves.

About Nadal I think he is climbing the ATG ladder in a hurry now. Really admire the guy.
You're disappointed in having seen one of the matches that will be a timeless classic watched for decades to come? That match was unbelievable!

Also I think you're right about Nadal there (cue Jono joining in to rip me a new one via my pre-US Open attitude towards him).