• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
**** Djokovic has shown courage today. He's going down now, but he's made a fan out of me with this effort.

Spudsy2061

U19 Cricketer
Career slam, baby :cool:
Yeah Nadal played well. I think the two things that tell the story of the match is the 4th set fact that Nadal went 50 odd straight points without an unforced error and that even if you win 90% of the points, if you give your opponent 20-odd to 30 chances to break your serve, at some point or another he's gonna.

vcs

At this point I feel sorry for any tennis player not named Federer or Nadal. One slows down and the other automatically takes over. I'd have officially packed it in by now.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
**** Djokovic has shown courage today. He's going down now, but he's made a fan out of me with this effort.
Yep, always quite liked him as a player but bloody love him now, need him to keep playing like this.

Anyway Rafa is ridiculous, such a great champion.

If he stays fit he will finish with more titles than Federer .

Spudsy2061

U19 Cricketer
Yep, always quite liked him as a player but bloody love him now, need him to keep playing like this.

Anyway Rafa is ridiculous, such a great champion.

If he stays fit he will finish with more titles than Federer .
And half of them will be the French.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Just quietly, **** yes.

Spudsy, Nadal can play tennis night or day, hard court, clay, indoor or grass, with a rowdy crowd or no crowd.

The kid is good :)

Spudsy2061

U19 Cricketer
Just quietly, **** yes.

Spudsy, Nadal can play tennis night or day, hard court, clay, indoor or grass, with a rowdy crowd or no crowd.

The kid is good :)
Well now that he's proven me wrong I won't doubt the kid in the future but a little less fanaticism would be appreciated.

vcs

Enjoy it Jono, your man is among the top 3-4 players of all time and in all probability will go on to surpass Federer himself. :)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I personally fear the worst with regards to his knees :(

Time will tell.

Also regarding earlier posts about Novak, completely agree. Proud of him today.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
At this point I feel sorry for any tennis player not named Federer or Nadal. One slows down and the other automatically takes over. I'd have officially packed it in by now.
Reckon Nadal vs. JMDP is going to be a big rivalry in the coming years.

Was a damn shame that he was injured for most of this season. I rate him extremely highly.

vcs

Yeah it's certainly going to be one to watch. Del Potro can play well on clay also and he doesn't have the accumulated scars of Murray, Djokovic and Soderling against the top 2.

shivfan

Banned
She's only 20 bro. Write her off at your own risk.
True, C-Woz is young....

But she's going to need to make major adjustments to her current game if she really wants to win a Slam. Her pseudo-Jankovic game is just not going to do it. She needs to get some more power in her game, and become more aggressive. This scurrying after every single ball might work in the tournaments that just last one week, but will wear her out in the tournaments that last two weeks, such as the Slams.

shivfan

Banned
No doubt that all the people that whinge about women's tennis players earning the same money as the men's game whenever Serena destroys someone in a Slam final will not be hypocrites and admit that this final was just as bad.

This wasn't much longer, if at all, to Serena vs Safina Aust Open 09 or Serena vs Zvonareva Wimbledon 2010.
well said!

All the all-Williams finals were better than this one....

Spudsy2061

U19 Cricketer
True, C-Woz is young....

But she's going to need to make major adjustments to her current game if she really wants to win a Slam. Her pseudo-Jankovic game is just not going to do it. She needs to get some more power in her game, and become more aggressive. This scurrying after every single ball might work in the tournaments that just last one week, but will wear her out in the tournaments that last two weeks, such as the Slams.
Not entirely true she's made it pretty deep in the majors so far. She needs to work on her backswing to be honest. It looks awkward, mostly with the head of the rack finished well over her head in height and shoulder in placement. It looks like a golf swing. If she shortens them a little I think she can really become dangerous. She also needs to drive the ball deeper more and allow herself to come to the new more often. Normally when she plays, and particularly on the backhand (though I realize it's tough to do on that than her forehand) she puts the ball around the service line, which on a slower hit ball like her backhand or slice can allow the opponent to step into the shot more and place the ball better towards the side to let them come in. The thing about tennis is that if you're actually superb at volleying you can do rediculously far in tournaments. When asked about serve and volley style players Brad Gilbert, Pete Sampras, and Andre Agassi all said that if their first serve % is high and they're doing a good job volleying that day than it's almost impossible to beat them. If the greatest coach of all time and the two greatest American players and two of the top players of all time in general say that then there's got to be some merit in it. Point is though her ground strokes are very bland but she keeps herself in points so that her opponents can error her into the next round. She's got more game than that yes but little of the time do I see her aggressively trying to win the point as opposed to letting her opponent lose it for her. That won't give you grand slams but that can take you deep into 2nd week. It's about having game to, as you are right there though but she's not too far off from getting one.

shivfan

Banned
:laugh:
Yeah, the gap between Federer and Nadal on one hand, and the rest of the field on the other, is so huge that the two of them dominate the Slams. Players like Djokovic, Murray, Roddick, etc, must be praying for Federer to go into decline next year....

vcs

:laugh:
Yeah, the gap between Federer and Nadal on one hand, and the rest of the field on the other, is so huge that the two of them dominate the Slams. Players like Djokovic, Murray, Roddick, etc, must be praying for Federer to go into decline next year....
Federer is already in decline, isn't he? Has been since 2008 TBH, though he was managing to peak during Grand Slam tournaments until this year. The bad news is Nadal looks like a bigger, badder version of Federer in his dominating days.

As for Wozniacki, I have started rating her much higher after her win against Sharapova. She will be a force in the future. The loss to Zvonareva was a disappointing one but she's young and should learn her lesson.