• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Looking forward to the Brits that dislike Murray jumping on the bandwagon if he takes the Australian Open.

What a player, was magnificent.

But my boy Cilic... great tournament! Coming of age.
^ All of this....

Cilic, great effort, just ran out of legs. But Jeez, Murray was fantastic from half way through the 2nd set. Loved his game last night. Looks fresh at the right end of the tourney.

Mentally, can he do it? I think if he plays Tsonga he will win. Not so sure against Fed - good record vs him, but it's Fed, and it's one of the big ones...

Didn't realise til last night that Murray was at the schol in Dunblane when the shooting happened. Holy **** - talk about an event to impact on your life. Kudos to him for overcoming that sort of **** early doors.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
BBC SPORT | Tennis | French Open 2003 | Williams 'hurt' by jeers

The world number one was particularly upset by an incident in the third set when she prepared to serve.

Henin-Hardenne raised her hand to suggest she was not ready to receive. Williams served anyway - a fault - but then claimed she was distracted and asked the umpire for the point to be replayed.

The umpire said he had not seen what happened and Williams was rankled when Henin-Hardenne did not intervene to admit that she had not been ready.

"I was a little disappointed with her," said Williams.

"It wasn't the turning point of the match, I should have still won the game, but to start lying and fabricating is not fair.

It was an interesting match overall with the booing etc. Kind of the start of their cool rivalry.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Haha no way you can spin that.

Serena's done plenty of things wrong in her career, but that wasn't one (the fault).

People forget that Henin had a **** personalty pre-retirement too just like Serena. They were both pretty annoying people.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
People forget that Henin had a **** personalty pre-retirement too just like Serena. They were both pretty annoying people.
I'm well aware of that. Was disgusted by her retirement against Mauresmo in the 2006 final.

Don't really want either of them to win, tbf. Both great players though.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Didn't realise til last night that Murray was at the schol in Dunblane when the shooting happened. Holy **** - talk about an event to impact on your life. Kudos to him for overcoming that sort of **** early doors.
:-O

I had no idea about this either.

I have to keep reminding myself that it's alright to go for him because he's Scottish, not one of those other Brits from down south. :ph34r:

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
I wasn't much of a Murray fan when he first arrived on the scene, but he's matured a lot and I've warmed to him this tournament. Dunno if I'd call him dour. I've enjoyed his interactions with Courier.

They way Murray's treated is pretty ridiculous. The guy's nationality shouldn't be as important as how he plays on the court.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Wow, super impressive performance from Federer. Loved some of the comments in the post-match interview too.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
He was ribbing Courier a bit. The best thing he said was that the British press expect Murray to be the first guy to win in 150,000 years.

EDIT: I also liked the joke about how if Murray thinks Rog is a nice guy and a dad now that he can just give him the title.

Last edited:

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
I wasn't much of a Murray fan when he first arrived on the scene, but he's matured a lot and I've warmed to him this tournament. Dunno if I'd call him dour. I've enjoyed his interactions with Courier.

They way Murray's treated is pretty ridiculous. The guy's nationality shouldn't be as important as how he plays on the court.
Actually think he's pretty likeable. I mean sure, he's not Frankie Boyle, but he's got a dry sense of humour that makes me laugh.

Dydl

International Debutant
These finals should be good.

Regardless of who I want to win, I'm hoping/expecting two great matches.

Interesting to note that Laura Robson has breezed through the girl's singles tournament to get to the final on Rod Laver tomorrow, so two British hopes for success.

irfan

State Captain
Wow, super impressive performance from Federer. Loved some of the comments in the post-match interview too.
Haha, his comments was brill. Courier great on the post-match stuff. With the way Fed has been playing I reckon he will do Murray in 5 - might have to grind a little bit more.

Another amazing FedStat - He has a 130-1 record in GS against players outside the top 5 (the 1 being Del Potro) - it pretty much means he only loses to Nadal