• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Amazing from Henin in her match against Zheng Jie - sure the Chinese girl was a class below but its a promising sign for a great final against Serena.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Anyone else find the putting the hand up to apologise for shots that hit the net cord annoying?

Dydl

International Debutant
Pretty impressive performance from Murray, should be a cracking final, especially if it's against Federer... Amazing that Cilic spent 20-something hours on court though. Decent effort.

Anyone else find the putting the hand up to apologise for shots that hit the net cord annoying?
Not really, it makes sense because they didn't intend to, usually. It's deeply ingrained mow as part of 'tennis etiquette', so it's probably best to get used to it.

Any particular reason why it bothers you?

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Pretty impressive performance from Murray, should be a cracking final, especially if it's against Federer... Amazing that Cilic spent 20-something hours on court though. Decent effort.

Not really, it makes sense because they didn't intend to, usually. It's deeply ingrained mow as part of 'tennis etiquette', so it's probably best to get used to it.

Any particular reason why it bothers you?
It just seems pointless and usually insincere. Most players do it simply because it's expected of them. A lot that happens in sport is fortuitous, I don't really see why players should be expected to apoogise for their own good fortune. It's like a bowler apologising for a delivery that keeps low unexpectedly.

Last edited:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Really enjoyed the comedy act after Murray's win with the exhibition doubles - saw some of that same type of match last year and there were a few repeated party tricks but still entertaining.

irfan

State Captain
God, I hate Murray. His over the top attempts to pump himself up at almost every point coupled with his dour defensive strokeplay really gives me the ****s. Atleast Hewitt does it at pivotal moments throughout the game (break point, crucial hold etc.) I really rate Cilic though, was simply awesome in the first set - such easy power and so balanced and agile for a big guy - reckon the strain of his previous five setters against Tomic, Del Potro and Roddick must have done him in (didnt see the last three sets).

Hope Federer/Tsonga smash the crap out of Murray on Sunday

irfan

State Captain
God, I hate Murray. His over the top attempts to pump himself up at almost every point coupled with his dour defensive strokeplay really gives me the ****s. Atleast Hewitt does it at pivotal moments throughout the game (break point, crucial hold etc.) I really rate Cilic though, was simply awesome in the first set - such easy power and so balanced and agile for a big guy - reckon the strain of his previous five setters against Tomic, Del Potro and Roddick must have done him in (didn't see the last three sets).

Hope Federer/Tsonga smash the crap out of Murray on Sunday

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Meh, never really got this 'dour defensive' accusation against Murray. He's a knob, but i actually think his game is interesting to watch, plenty of vareity, not everything has to be bash bash bash. He did go through a period where he overused the slice, but i think as his tactics evolve he tries to adapt his game to the situation, and he's realised he needs to go a bit more when he plays certain guys.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I meant dour personality wise, meself. Don't think his best mate would call him the life and soul. Definitely from the Gordon Brown, Presbyterian, fiscally prudent Scotsman mould.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Looking forward to the Brits that dislike Murray jumping on the bandwagon if he takes the Australian Open.

What a player, was magnificent.

But my boy Cilic... great tournament! Coming of age.