• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm over the 'Cassius Clay' and 'Ali' rubbish the commentators go on with whenever Tsonga plays just quietly.

Granted, he looks a bit like him. One comment on it when he first started playing as a professional would have been enough, we don't have to hear about it every time he plays. He's not Muhammed Ali and has nothing in common with him as a sportsman at the moment.

Feel a bit sorry for Djokovic as he was going well until he got sick. But that's the way it goes. Am happy to see Tsonga win as I enjoy watching him play and he's got a great personality.

Bobisback

International Regular
Awesome match, awesome commentary. Leconte is sooo much better than the others.

Courier is pretty gun too, loves him self, loves being on camera. Love this bit about to come up, where he talks while walking away, saying something like "Its late, lets go get our sleep on" or something stupid.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
Saw Tsonga live last year, so I'm pretty stoked. It's a shame he's on Federer's side of the draw, but Fed can't fall asleep against this guy.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Djokovic - seriously - his game is a 6 foot 2 version of Hewitt's. Can't believe his lack of weaponry honestly.
No offence Burgey but there is so much wrong with that statement.

The guy has a mean forehand and his backhand is one of the best in the game. Has a very strong first serve and can volley with the best of them.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I like Leconte, but I'm not sure Courier likes having Leconte in the box. Reckon it takes away from him being the superstar, which is why he comes.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Williams back from the brink

Down a set and 4-0 with a semi-final berth on the line, world No. 1 Williams had to draw upon that seemingly bottomless reserve of spirit and courage and hard-bitten competitiveness. Little more than an hour on, she was celebrating one of her greatest comeback victories, 4-6, 7-6 (7-4), 6-2, and preparing for a rendezvous with China's Li Na today.

No coaching manual can prepare you for what happened to Williams yesterday, but she has already written the book on comebacks. Three times she has fought her way out from match point in grand slam tournaments to win them; no one in the women's game is so resilient. Yesterday from 0-4 in the second set, with Azarenka hitting the lines and dominating the match, she promptly reeled off five consecutive games to get back into the second set, won the tie-breaker, and obliterated the 20-year-old from Belarus in the decider.

The message was unequivocal. Williams is a champion (should anyone have forgotten so); world No. 7 Azarenka might be one day, but is a work in progress.

:D

Last edited:

Johnners

No offence Burgey but there is so much wrong with that statement.

The guy has a mean forehand and his backhand is one of the best in the game. Has a very strong first serve and can volley with the best of them.
AWTA

Novak's game during the 3rd set tonight was brilliant, he was basically out-powering Tsonga which is no mean feat. We only saw bits and pieces of it in the other 4 sets really, and his serve was particularly poor tonight.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I love Tsonga, but even he admitted Novak was no good after he became ill and that he was lucky after that.

You don't make as many Grand slam semi-finals and finals of Masters tournaments as Novak has made (in an era of Federer, Nadal, Murray, JMDP, Davydenko, Roddick) without having an awesome game and some huge weapons.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm over the 'Cassius Clay' and 'Ali' rubbish the commentators go on with whenever Tsonga plays just quietly.

Granted, he looks a bit like him. One comment on it when he first started playing as a professional would have been enough, we don't have to hear about it every time he plays. He's not Muhammed Ali and has nothing in common with him as a sportsman at the moment.

Feel a bit sorry for Djokovic as he was going well until he got sick. But that's the way it goes. Am happy to see Tsonga win as I enjoy watching him play and he's got a great personality.
Tsonga to knock out George Foreman and prove us all wrong...

Son Of Coco

Healy has personality; just a pity it's "chippy ****".

Anyway, fair play to Tsonga. Djokovic is such a jibber. I'm no Nadal fan, but the kid has heart. Novak can't quit fast enough.
To be fair to Djokovic, he did throw up early in the 4th set. It may have had something to do with his poor form in the last two sets.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
To be fair to Djokovic, he did throw up early in the 4th set. It may have had something to do with his poor form in the last two sets.
Given I don't watch a huge amount of tennis outside of the open, but Novak has always given me the impression of being someone who is one peice of misfortune away from crumbling too. Granted he's young, but he's always getting frustrated, screaming at the heavens, looking pleadingly at his support in the crowd. If Tsonga hadn't imploded at the end of the second set tie break, I reckon that would have been over in 3.

TBF he deserves credit for taking the chance Tsonga offered him and I like watching him when he's playing well.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah Novak has a chip on his shoulder I reckon.

People expected greater things than he's achieved in the last 2 years, and I reckon it eats away at him. That's why he plays so many tournaments throughout the year to try and keep his ranking in the top 3.

His reaction when he finally won a Masters tournament in Paris last year after so many runner-ups was telling IMO.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Jeez Na Li has always been solid but **** she can fight back. Does not mind being down a break at all.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Well that Serena win was always forthcoming, good fight from Na Li to make her work for two hours to take it. Actually shocked that Li made it to the semi finals in the first place, she looked aweful in Auckland just two weeks ago and was knocked out in the first round.