• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
IMO Del Potro vs. Blake should have been the first match up, with Henin and Dementieva to follow.

I'll eat my words if Tomic makes this a good match, but how awesome would Rod Laver have been with that?

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
2-1 up! He's got this

EDIT: For those watching (I'm not, hour behind etc. etc.) how the hell is Tomic winning? Following live, stats say he's got half as many winners, and only about 5/6 less unforced errors, yet is up 2 sets to one. Just running cilic all over?

Last edited:

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
2-1 up! He's got this

EDIT: For those watching (I'm not, hour behind etc. etc.) how the hell is Tomic winning? Following live, stats say he's got half as many winners, and only about 5/6 less unforced errors, yet is up 2 sets to one. Just running cilic all over?
Jono?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Wow, Cilic just gets over the line 6-4 in the 5th.

Umm Clapo, from my point of view, and I'm no expert mind you, it's well noted Tomic hits a really slow ball, and hence Cilic couldn't get much pace on the ball at times. He had to create his own pace and he wasn't on his game today. However on top of that Tomic hits a 'low ball', whereby on a slow court like the Aust Open, Cilic will struggle as he has to bend low plus generate pace. As he relies on heavy hitting, it doesn't suit him at all.

Normally if he had his first serve percentage higher that wouldn't have matterd as much, but he didn't.

And finally Tomic, until he got tired, was able to chase down almost anything. Not necessarily because of pace, but because he plays smart defensive tennis at times. Cilic looked like he'd have the point won, but on a slow surface like this, Tomic could get the ball again and again and eventually Cilic would crack.

At the end of the day Cilic won however, but well played Tomic.

Cilic has Wawrinka next. Not sure who can win that one. Cilic looks tired after the match, did lots of running. Plus obviously isn't playing too well.

Btw, on theis slow surface, I reckon Rafa Nadal has a really good chance of defending his Aust Open. He won't get dominated by your Davydenko, Cilic, Del Potro etc. as much.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Btw Samuel, I know Cilic ended up winning but I gotta give you massive kudos for your prediction tip of Tomic.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Btw Samuel, I know Cilic ended up winning but I gotta give you massive kudos for your prediction tip of Tomic.
Cheers, makes up for the lack of points. (Wright joined me, though he always tips anyone with AUS after their name so perhaps doesn't count.)

Gave me confidence to try a couple more upsets tomorrow :ph34r:

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Good showing from Tomic last night but the way he's going he's going to be less popular than Germaine Greer in Australia. Having a crack at the officials because he had to play at night even though he requested a day match, how bout you just be stoked to get a centre court match mate, douche bag.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Good showing from Tomic last night but the way he's going he's going to be less popular than Germaine Greer in Australia. Having a crack at the officials because he had to play at night even though he requested a day match, how bout you just be stoked to get a centre court match mate, douche bag.
AWTA, not very gracious at all. Age is no excuse either; Hewitt was a douche at 15 and at nearly 30 in a career of enough ups and downs which would humble most players even a little........is still a douche.