• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Horrendous performance by Schiavone in the semi in Auckland - Pennetta took the second set 6-0 in about 20 minutes.
I wasn't able to see Pennetta's victory today but shes been incredibly impressive so far in this tournament - I was somewhat cynical about her taking the number one seed initially but with her performances I'd have to take that back and certainly make her favourite to win the tournament tomorrow. Looks like her pairing with Schiavone almost saw her through to the doubles final too, losing after an extended third set to Black and Huber.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm not the biggest fan of her (I've said Serena is better than her about 50 million times in this thread over the last 5 years), but the thought of Venus, Serena, Clijsters, Henin and Sharapova makes Women's tennis well open again.

Then you have Kuznetsova, Safina and Azarenka who all can play as well...

That and Henin has a sweet ass backhand.
Compensating for her front...I mean forehand? :ph34r:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Lol, not exactly the most attractive chick is Justine.

Btw, Federer is paying $1.53 against Davydenko in the Doha semi-final.

GET
THE
ON
THAT
RIGHT
NOW
!

I rate Davy, but Federer isn't losing to him twice in a row. Particularly in Doha.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lol, not exactly the most attractive chick is Justine.

Btw, Federer is paying $1.53 against Davydenko in the Doha semi-final.

GET
THE
ON
THAT
RIGHT
NOW
!

I rate Davy, but Federer isn't losing to him twice in a row. Particularly in Doha.
Feds $2.11 to win 2-0 looks awesome to me.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
Ha, Davydenko is playing some great tennis at the moment. Federer's serve wasn't working, but I thought that break he gave Davydenko early in the second set was weak. Federer tends to mope a bit these days when things aren't going his way.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah she just couldn't beat Marion Bartoli in a Wimbledon semi-final when she was a set up and had a golden opportunity to face off Venus, but she's a million times better than Serena.

Last edited:

Uppercut

She's classier and more graceful though- it's the same reason everyone thinks Sachin Tendulkar's so much better than he is :p.

I like her. Easily the most watchable (for tennising reasons) women's tennis player I've seen. She's overrated, though.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
I wasn't able to see Pennetta's victory today but shes been incredibly impressive so far in this tournament - I was somewhat cynical about her taking the number one seed initially but with her performances I'd have to take that back and certainly make her favourite to win the tournament tomorrow.
I love making bold predictions. :sleep:

Hit_Wicket

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Robredo beats Murray in three to force a mixed doubles decider at the Hopman Cup.

Wonderful effort coming from behind after the Scot blitzed the first set.

Dydl

International Debutant
Wonderful effort coming from behind after the Scot blitzed the first set.
Wonderful effort from Laura Robson as well, very impressive victory.

They're a set down in the mixed doubles atm, and it's 4-4 all in the second. It's been a great tournament, whichever way this match ends. Great experience for Robson, in particular.

Dydl

International Debutant
Congratulations to Spain, deserving winners. Great match-ups today.

I've just seen that Robson has earned a wildcard for the Aus Open, which is pretty exciting.

Can't wait for Henin vs Clijsters tonight, could be epic if Henin plays well, and Clijsters did lose a set 6-0 yesterday... Perfect set-up.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
Yeah she just couldn't beat Marion Bartoli in a Wimbledon semi-final when she was a set up and had a golden opportunity to face off Venus, but she's a million times better than Serena.
C'mon, what about all the times Serena has failed? If Serena is so good, why does she only have four more grand slams than Henin despite playing against such weak competition? Obviously, Serena has dominated women's tennis more than Venus and Henin if you wanna play the numbers game, but if Henin has been a failure for not winning Wimbledon then Serena has got to be a career underachiever. Neither of which I think are true.

Simon

Congratulations to Spain, deserving winners. Great match-ups today.

I've just seen that Robson has earned a wildcard for the Aus Open, which is pretty exciting.

Can't wait for Henin vs Clijsters tonight, could be epic if Henin plays well, and Clijsters did lose a set 6-0 yesterday... Perfect set-up.
Dont get all the Robson love tbh, hard to turn off the match yesterday as Peter Wilkins was blowing his load over her, every time she hits a winner or gets back a serve from the male player he goes off his chops.
Sure she might be a good player one day but right now she's pretty average and it's not like teen prodigies are a new thing in womens tennis even if she was one.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
She's classier and more graceful though- it's the same reason everyone thinks Sachin Tendulkar's so much better than he is :p.

I like her. Easily the most watchable (for tennising reasons) women's tennis player I've seen. She's overrated, though.
Come on Uppercut that's an awful analogy. If Henin had the exact same number of (or more) Slams, had won Wimbledon, had at one stage held every Slam, and had a solid head to head record against Serena on most surfaces, then maybe your analogy would make sense.

Sachin has scored the most test runs ever, the most ODI runs ever, the most test centuries ever, the most ODI centuries ever, started when he was 16 and has been playing for 20 years.

Not even similar at all.

I hate it when they call Henin the female Federer. GTFO, Federer has won Wimbledon 6 times. Henin has 0.
C'mon, what about all the times Serena has failed? If Serena is so good, why does she only have four more grand slams than Henin despite playing against such weak competition? Obviously, Serena has dominated women's tennis more than Venus and Henin if you wanna play the numbers game, but if Henin has been a failure for not winning Wimbledon then Serena has got to be a career underachiever. Neither of which I think are true.
Tell me exactly what Serena has failed to achieve in her career. I'm not saying she's better than Stefi Graf, I'm saying she's better than Henin, who is a top player, but is no Sernea. Hasn't done many things that Serena is done. Oh but she has a one hand backhand, is small, and doesn't say much. So she's therefore better?

Why if Henin has underachieved does that mean Serena has also been a career underachiever? You didn't provide any argument for why that is the case. And even if she has, she's still done more than Henin.

And also, who is this weaker competition that Serena has beat? Henin played in the same damn era!

Last edited: