• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Hit_Wicket

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Henin vs Ivanovic semi-final at the Brisbane International should be interesting. Really looking forward to that.
ATWA.

It's difficult to gauge so early in her comeback, but I personally thought Henin didn't play too well against Czink. She persists with an aggressive approach but atm is making a few too many unforced errors and would also want to improve her service percentage. Her backhand is still poetry in motion, but it wasn't immune from error, while the forehand let her down on numerous ocassions. In the end her experience and proficiency under pressure probably got her over the line.

I'm also not convinced that the slight adjustments in her technique and overall game are having the desired effect. The thing I used to love about her, as well as the mental fortitude and determination, was that she never seemed to play unnecessary shots and could grind her opponent down defensively, whereas now she is always going for the killer blow.

Hopefully she can improve with match practice and play better against Ivanovic. Should be a cracker of a semi-final tomorrow!

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Henin is playing like Ivanovic. Attack attack and attack.

So ironic. Everyone would compliment her as using finesse instead of power, and she's come back with a game solely based on hart hitting.

Hit_Wicket

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Henin is playing like Ivanovic. Attack attack and attack.

So ironic. Everyone would compliment her as using finesse instead of power, and she's come back with a game solely based on hart hitting.
ATWA, sadly. It's been disappointing, to say the least.

Apparently she thinks that being more hardline is the only way she can survive a few more years on tour.

Was so looking forward to her comeback as well and hoping that it would reinvigorate the WTA. :(

Am really missing the grace and finesse of old. Wish she would rethink her strategy.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Depends, give her new strategy some time.

If she can compete consistently with Williams sisters, Clijsters, Azarenka, Safina etc. (outside of clay) by out-hitting them, then maybe the tactical change is worth it.

Dydl

International Debutant
Yeah, it's an interesting change of strategy, and she definitely hasn't hit her A-Game yet, but this is her first tournament in 18 months or so, so it hasn't been a bad effort so far. I think she's also still trying to test out her new style of play, so having two tournaments before the Aus Open can only help her to see whether she should keep it, or revert to more tried and tested ways. Tomorrow's semi will really help show where she's at. Ivanovic hasn't been playing too fantastically, based on her game today; she was getting quite frustrated several times throughout the match. She won in large part because her opponent was just very hit-and-miss.

Should Henin and Clijsters win their semis though, that could be a final to remember.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah Ivanovic would have lost to a top 10 opponent had she played any so far. She's fallen so far away from where she was 2 years ago.

Henin's performance against Petrova in the first round was seriously impressive. Petrova gave it her all and didn't play bad tennis, and Henin just counter-attacked.

Look I can understand why so many fans loved Henin and hated the Williams sisters (though I seriously disagree with anyone who says the Williams sisters brought power tennis to the women's game - Seles did that) but if Henin wants to win against them consistently, and the up coming players who also have great power, she's going to have to adapt. I find it quite interesting that she's done it.

I won't rule her out of finally getting a Wimbledon crown if she manages to keep her head this year.

Reckon she's a lock for the French. The minute that market opens i will load up big on her.

Btw just incase I haven't said this already, this is an even year, so Serena, as much as I love her, probably won't win the Aust Open :ph34r:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Henin destroys Ana :cool:

Dementieva struggling against Laura Robson.

How the **** Dementieva is #5 in the world is beyond me. How she beats good players like Serena on occasion is also confusing.

Guess she's reasonably solid, but **** me her serve is woeful.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Horrendous performance by Schiavone in the semi in Auckland - Pennetta took the second set 6-0 in about 20 minutes.

Simon

Henin destroys Ana :cool:

Dementieva struggling against Laura Robson.

How the **** Dementieva is #5 in the world is beyond me. How she beats good players like Serena on occasion is also confusing.

Guess she's reasonably solid, but **** me her serve is woeful.
Tbf her serve has improved, in years gone by social players would have been embarassed to have a serve like her second serve.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Btw just realised, is Novak taking an extended break?

Not a bad idea if he is, considering the amount of tennis he played at the end of last year.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Stoked to see Henin back on the Womens circuit as well, WAG. Don't care if she doesn't win anything else this season, as long as she wins Wimbeldon

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Doing it so he's ready to wipe Nadal off the court iirc. We'll be seeing more of this Jono

:p
I love Novak but he's going to get owned. Rafa's just hitting his straps :p

Btw, this Berdych vs. Belluci match has been quite entertaining in Brisbane.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Don't understand the Henin love on here, I don't like her at all. Quite boring to watch actually, I always root for her opponent.

Simon

I think its more because she provides another challenge for the players at the top. It's always good for the game to have more players challenging for the slams.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Don't understand the Henin love on here, I don't like her at all. Quite boring to watch actually, I always root for her opponent.
I'm not the biggest fan of her (I've said Serena is better than her about 50 million times in this thread over the last 5 years), but the thought of Venus, Serena, Clijsters, Henin and Sharapova makes Women's tennis well open again.

Then you have Kuznetsova, Safina and Azarenka who all can play as well...

That and Henin has a sweet ass backhand.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm not the biggest fan of her (I've said Serena is better than her about 50 million times in this thread over the last 5 years), but the thought of Venus, Serena, Clijsters, Henin and Sharapova makes Women's tennis well open again.

Then you have Kuznetsova, Safina and Azarenka who all can play as well...

That and Henin has a sweet ass backhand.
Agreed and although I wasn't a massive fan of Henin, a player that returns to a competitive sport, improves the standard and makes the competition more intriguing can only be good for the game.