• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Didn't see much, but saw him win the match point with serve-and-volley Fairly effective tactic against Söderling, one would think.
Haha he did it ALL match. Served wide, Soderling was standing far back so the angle was huge, and then he volleyed Soderling's return.

When it came to the second match point, I knew he'd serve it out wide, and just volley it for the win. Can't believe Soderling didn't try and change it up or come in or something.

Soderling played a dumb tennis match.

Surely that **** won't work on Nadal.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I've never seen Davydenko play that good.

He's played at that LEVEL before, but its never against top 5 players, and if he does, he often chokes.

Amazing. Djokovic just couldn't handle the consistent pressure.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
When is Tennis going to sort itself out and have a proper end of season break? every year we have this situation where a hole host of top players are missing through injury or fatigue, I have been half folllowing this tournament and it seems that every other match ends in a player retiring. The players say it every year but nothing ever gets done.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
i don't really agree with suspensions for recreational drugs, if it is against the law, the law should prosecute the person, unless it is performance-enhancing drugs or a masking agent for it, tennis(or for that matter any sports authority) shouldn't have any say...agassi's case is no big deal i would say...just by the persona he projected especially during his early years, i had assumed all along that he did some out-of-the-way stuff...

Isolator

State 12th Man
i don't really agree with suspensions for recreational drugs, if it is against the law, the law should prosecute the person, unless it is performance-enhancing drugs or a masking agent for it, tennis(or for that matter any sports authority) shouldn't have any say...agassi's case is no big deal i would say...just by the persona he projected especially during his early years, i had assumed all along that he did some out-of-the-way stuff...
Agreed with all of that. As you've said, it's amazing that anyone could think that Agassi didn't do this sort of stuff given how he used to be. Harsha Bhogle has come up with a pretty hysterical and ill-informed sounding column about this. ( Pardoning Agassi will allow other players to cross the line ) Thankfully the guys in the comments section have pointed out the failings of this article. I just feel like punching the twit. Apparently describing what being high on meth feels like is "glorifying" it. And this whole role-model-for-kids stuff is just rubbish. If you're a kid who gets addicted to meth because of something like this... you're an idiot.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
We have a Federer vs. Djokovic final in Basel, Switzerland. Federer having a cruisy tournament, Novak taking out Wawrinka in 3 sets in the quarters, and then saving 3 match points vs. Stepanek (0-40 down in the 2nd set) to storm back and win in 3 sets.

Should be a good final. Federer will want to win at home for sure.

Meanwhile in Valencia Youzhny has continued his awesome form. Just beat Davydenko in the semis (and beat Simon in the quarters and Tsonga before that!). Hurting their chances to qualify for the ATP Finals in London!!!

He'll play the winner of Murray vs. Verdasco (also trying to qualify).

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Ho hum. Federer lost (in three and with rotten break point luck, apparently).

Think it may his first loss in Basel since becoming No. 1.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Could be seeing Safin's last ever professional tennis match.

After saving 3 match points in his previous match to delay his retirement for one more round, he's up against Del Potro, and just lost the first set 6-4, despite playing pretty good tennis and hitting more winners than Del Potro. Way more unforced errors though.

Hopefully he can maybe snag the 2nd set and force a 3rd. Looking unlikely though.

Gonna miss him :(