• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Generally, yes. But not when two cool and unpredictable Frenchmen battle.

Plus, its quite fun watching the players ranked 6-11 try and qualify for the finals.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
There's a 1000 Masters Series next week in Shangai. It's in October, and to be honest is more important IMO than tennis that takes place between French and Wimbledon, as many players put more to try and get to the Barclays Finals.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd like to see the grass season increased by a week or two. I've made my thoughts clear on how pointless Newport is in the past, and wouldn't mind seeing a Masters tournament slotted in a fortnight before Wimbledon gets underway. Won't happen, but I think as it stands the scheduling of the Slams is all over the shop.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Wow, that's awesome. Would be so cool to see Tsonga live. Such an athlete.

I want to try and catch him (among others obviously) at the Aust Open next year.

Youzhny's been playing some good tennis though. Good wins over Berdych and Hewitt in the tournament.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I'd like to see the grass season increased by a week or two. I've made my thoughts clear on how pointless Newport is in the past, and wouldn't mind seeing a Masters tournament slotted in a fortnight before Wimbledon gets underway. Won't happen, but I think as it stands the scheduling of the Slams is all over the shop.
Queens as a Masters would be nice. Essentially is already, except that Feds wants to play in Halle for some reason.

Also, .p @ Hewitt good shot at making the final

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Well, he kinda did have a pretty good shot at making the final. :p Can't do it when you continue to serve at sub-50 per cent.

And Queens was my thought as well. They might not be keen on giving a Masters and Slam to a country within like two or so weeks, but it hasn't stopped them with giving the US three Masters and one Slam (and countless 250s and 500s). Monte Carlo is being phased out, and I'd like to see grass event replace it.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Novak :cool:

Just hope he's not going to die by the end of the year with the amount of tennis he's playing.

Great tournament from Cilic none the less.

Tsonga's win over Youzhny should surely ensure he makes the London finals.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Monfils beats Hewitt after being a set down. Nice :)

Cilic's choke vs. Berdych was an epic disgrace though.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Another awesome Nadal vs. Blake match :D

Nadal again gets over Blake in three to finally get a winning record over him. Now 4-3 Nadal.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Can't imagine the Chinese are doing themselves any favours if they want to steal the first Open of the year judging by the crowds in Shanghai. Piss poor stuff.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
WTF is Feliciano Lopez doing in the semi-final. FFS Nadal you better crush your fellow compatriot tomorrow.

Meanwhile, Novak vs. Simon was schweeeeeeeeet! Such good tennis.

Ljubicic gave Nadal a fair scare. Nadal was a set and 0-40 down in the 2nd, with Ljubicic serving like a beast. Nadal fought back and eventually took the second, but Ljubicic was hurt by the end of it so it didn't matter. Retired hurt (8th in the tournament).

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Well, he kinda did have a pretty good shot at making the final. :p Can't do it when you continue to serve at sub-50 per cent.

And Queens was my thought as well. They might not be keen on giving a Masters and Slam to a country within like two or so weeks, but it hasn't stopped them with giving the US three Masters and one Slam (and countless 250s and 500s). Monte Carlo is being phased out, and I'd like to see grass event replace it.
The problem is, the ATP Tour reforms that have taken place in 2009, and were announced in 2007, were given a lot of thought, and was probably the biggest reform since the inception of the tour. Obviously the biggest part was the introduction of the 500 status. I don't see them changing things in the next few years.

You are right though. They already removed Hamburg clay court event of its 1000 status (which pissed them off, and I think there is still a court case going? Or it may have ended recently), and they eventually settled with Monte Carlo, whereby it kept its 1000 status as a clay court event, but was not a 'compulsory' event for the top players. Not sure what that achieves, but whatever.

The other reform was making Madrid clay instead of hard court, and bringing it earlier into the year to coincide with the build up of the French Open. This was going to be better for Rafa, since he had only won that tournament once before in 2005. Ironically he lost to Federer in the final this year on clay (and almost lost to Djokovic in the semi-final, which in my opinion is still the best tennis match of the year... despite being a best of 3-set match).

I think the reforms for the most part are good, and the fact that there is no big 1000 grass tournament sort of makes Wimbledon that much more special.

It'll be interesting if Federer ever plays Queens again nonetheless.

Last edited: