• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Don't know Werther this has been posted here before but this thought is just bad

NDTV.com - Wimbledon 2009

article said:
The top four seeds traditionally play their semi-finals on Wimbledon Centre Court, but that's not quite been the case in these championships.
Not a great way to start an article tbh, it was the Quarter Finals and given they play 2 on each court there's no way the top 4 seeds could play on centre court.

Anyway, not sure the reasoning behind it is sane, Centre court will be sold out months in advance of the order of play being announced and BBC claim they have nothing to do with it, so i'm not sure what benefit is supposed to be had from it.

Didn't watch any tennis yesterday so it didn't effect me. Sure Serena's been on Centre Court enough times in the past anyway.

vogue

International Vice-Captain
Anyway was hoping Fed-Karlovic would go at least 4 sets...gonna miss most of the Murray match now.

...nearly missed the start of it...been watching the Haas match.. if i hadn't read your post would still be watching it now...getting too involved in one match!!

vogue

Just switched over to see Haas taking the match .... happy to see him thru to the semi-final...:)

vogue

Murray takes the first set...both guys playing well tho ..Murray just has that edge ..

then Ferrero breaks him in the first game of the second set!....

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Murray takes the first set...both guys playing well tho ..Murray just has that edge ..

then Ferrero breaks him in the first game of the second set!....
Cant imagine either of these guys winning it though - games simply arent big enough

vogue

Cant imagine either of these guys winning it though - games simply arent big enough

..well whoever wins has to play the winner of the Roddick/Hewitt game...and I wouldnt like to call on that,perhaps thats where either Murray/Ferrero will fall...

vogue

Looking like Murray will win this now as he takes the second set...upped his game a tad and Ferrero hasn't responded...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Not a great way to start an article tbh, it was the Quarter Finals and given they play 2 on each court there's no way the top 4 seeds could play on centre court.

Anyway, not sure the reasoning behind it is sane, Centre court will be sold out months in advance of the order of play being announced and BBC claim they have nothing to do with it, so i'm not sure what benefit is supposed to be had from it.

Didn't watch any tennis yesterday so it didn't effect me. Sure Serena's been on Centre Court enough times in the past anyway.
How does 'Semi Finals' = earlier rounds
Didn't read the article, but in the earlier rounds it was clear the court selection was based on looks alone.There's no reason to put Kirilenko and Dulko on Centre Court other than their looks though.

As I posted earlier in the thread, this article was pretty good IMO: http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2009/06/29/1246127506706.html

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Seems like the comms were just counting down till Hewitt Roddick match...
Was disgusting. Barely commentated about the match.

They barely showed any excitement when Novak took the 3rd. It was like "oh, another set before Hewitt's match" :dry:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Murray's game has been good enough to win many tournaments, and beat Roger, Novak and Nadal before.

Only time will tell I guess.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Didn't read the article, but in the earlier rounds it was clear the court selection was based on looks alone.There's no reason to put Kirilenko and Dulko on Centre Court other than their looks though.

As I posted earlier in the thread, this article was pretty good IMO: Sets appeal: beauty aces talent at Wimbledon - Sport - theage.com.au

yes I wasn't saying anything about the premise of the article...i've seen several on the same theme and obviously Wimbledon have admitted to doing it, but the first sentence is blatantly a load of crap...the semi finals haven't even been played (and when they are all 4 top seeds will be on centre court) and if they meant the quarter finals well i'd be surprised if there's ever been a year when the top 4 seeds have played on centre court in the QF so 'traditionally' is a load of crap. It hardly puts a lot of faith in the rest of the article.

vogue

And Murray goes thru...and so to the semis.. gonna be interesting there.. i fancy his chances tbh,in my humble opinion,it has to be said.. :)