• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well all this talk about Haas v Safin in the fourth round was a bit of a waste of time considering Haas couldn't even get to the 3rd round. Until Haas gets his injuries right he will never be a serious contender.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mister Wright said:
Well all this talk about Haas v Safin in the fourth round was a bit of a waste of time considering Haas couldn't even get to the 3rd round. Until Haas gets his injuries right he will never be a serious contender.
the match fitness was a problem today, he only played 2 full matches before the aus open, and 5 sets in that heat, was never gonna happen unfortunately...

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
broncoman said:
the match fitness was a problem today, he only played 2 full matches before the aus open, and 5 sets in that heat, was never gonna happen unfortunately...
If he's this great player that you say he is, with a 2 set lead he should have wrapped it up in 3. That has always been Haas' problem - not being able to wrap matches up when he has control, rather he lets players back in.

Simon

Mister Wright said:
If he's this great player that you say he is, with a 2 set lead he should have wrapped it up in 3. That has always been Haas' problem - not being able to wrap matches up when he has control, rather he lets players back in.
im not gonna get into another argument about this, but it was quite obvious why haas lost today.... nothing to do with nerves, poor form or becks performance....

Simon

marc71178 said:
And how good to see a Brit still going into Round 3 of the Ladies!
a long time since that has happened i would imagine, funnily its the same year that australia finally have a realistic hope in the womens...

Buddhmaster

International Captain
broncoman said:
im not gonna get into another argument about this, but it was quite obvious why haas lost today.... nothing to do with nerves, poor form or becks performance....
You just blame the injury, seeing as he was winning.

Simon

Buddhmaster said:
You just blame the injury, seeing as he was winning.
how much of the match did u watch? it was pretty obvious he was cruising until he felt the injury, and combine that with him famous fragile mental state, he wasnt much hope of winning...

broncoman said:
how much of the match did u watch? it was pretty obvious he was cruising until he felt the injury, and combine that with him famous fragile mental state, he wasnt much hope of winning...
He never has been much hope, and he never will be.

Simon

Peanutbutterbar said:
He never has been much hope, and he never will be.
never much hope when he lead safin 2 sets to 1 in an australian open semi final, never much hope when he was world number 2, now buzz off before u embarass yourself any further...

broncoman said:
never much hope when he lead safin 2 sets to 1 in an australian open semi final, never much hope when he was world number 2, now buzz off before u embarass yourself any further...
When you say he lead safin in the semi, does that mean he ended up losing?

Simon

Peanutbutterbar said:
When you say he lead safin in the semi, does that mean he ended up losing?
he did indeed, but the fact he got to that positions leads me to think he had some hope, now dont try and stir me up, if u want my feelings on this matter, just read this and some of the other tennis threads...

broncoman said:
he did indeed, but the fact he got to that positions leads me to think he had some hope, now dont try and stir me up, if u want my feelings on this matter, just read this and some of the other tennis threads...
Ok sorry, but just to prove my point, it is pretty hopeless to get to that point of a match and still lose.

V Reddy

International Debutant
broncoman said:
umm no...
Well i meant this smiley ;) rather than :) :p . Have you seen Sania play , Simon? She will mark her arrival on the big league on Friday :cool: .

Meanwhile Groenfield, another of my fav , whom Sania beat convincingly last month also reached the third round :)

Simon

Peanutbutterbar said:
Ok sorry, but just to prove my point, it is pretty hopeless to get to that point of a match and still lose.
yes, but in grand slam tennis u have to consider the outside factors, in any match nerves, the weather, fatigue or various other hurdles can come up and usually who handles them better will win a long match, in todays case Karol Beck simply outlasted tommy, in the 2002 semi final, Safin was gone he could hardly run, there was a couple of hour rain delay and safin came back and pealed off 10 of the next 11 games, its all about the outsider factors, not simply whos hitting the ball better on the day...

broncoman said:
yes, but in grand slam tennis u have to consider the outside factors, in any match nerves, the weather, fatigue or various other hurdles can come up and usually who handles them better will win a long match, in todays case Karol Beck simply outlasted tommy, in the 2002 semi final, Safin was gone he could hardly run, there was a couple of hour rain delay and safin came back and pealed off 10 of the next 11 games, its all about the outsider factors, not simply whos hitting the ball better on the day...
TBH, while watching the match, he looked to be really struggling, and Beck is the type of player that wins long matches

Simon

Peanutbutterbar said:
TBH, while watching the match, he looked to be really struggling, and Beck is the type of player that wins long matches
he did struggle and it was because a lac of match practice, he only had 2 full matches before the open and they were indoors at the hopman cup, add to that the heat and it got to him in the 4th and 5th sets, while im disapointed he lost, it doesnt surprise me given his preperation, theres some important masters series events coming up, i just hope hes 100% fit for them...