• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

V Reddy

International Debutant
An Indian junior seeded 4th is doing quiet well and so Indian tennis is in safe hands when Paes retires :)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
vishnureddy said:
An Indian junior seeded 4th is doing quiet well and so Indian tennis is in safe hands when Paes retires :)
Don't read much into junior Tennis - I think we had the boys number 1 a few years ago, and he's not in the top 250 now!

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
age_master said:
just a comment on styles and quality of play, consistancy, and form...
My comment was just about talent, I agreed that when it comes to consistency and results, both Roddick and Agassi are way ahead. For all that, Safin beat both even while not playing at his best and after coming back from a long injury-layoff.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
age_master said:
haha safins performance last night reminded me of the scuds, big hitting but inconsistant
Yet he still beat probably the most consistent player of the last 20 years. Safin is someone you don't want to play, especially in a final, as you don't know exactly how he is going to play. If he comes out red-hot you basically have to sit back and let him control the match.

I'm hoping for a Safin v Federer final.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
age_master said:
haha safins performance last night reminded me of the scuds, big hitting but inconsistant
Scud is all about a huge serve and very little else. Safin is a much more versatile player and as Wright pointed out, the inconsistent Safin beat the extremely consistent Agassi.

I suspect you will get enough chances down the road to ridicule Safin because of his suspect temperament and attitude, but when you do that to a Grand Slam finalist who has reached the final beating some of the best players in the world, guess who sounds really ridiculous? When Safin is on song, there is hardly any player(except Federer IMO) who can beat him.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wimbledon 2004

Yay Wimbledon starts next week!!!!!

The usuals will be hard to beat, Roddick, Federer, Hewitt and Nalbandian are the 4 most likely, but this year im tipping Sebastian Grojean. Hes a damn good player and should win grand slams, hes well over due and this is his time i think. Id like to see tommy haas do well, but still on the comeback trail a 3rd or 4th round appearance would be all we could ask for.

in the womens, its hard to see anyone other than the williams beasts win. Capriati is about the only one that could upset then. Myskina maybe, but i doubt it. Ill say Venus will break her drought and finally win another slam.
My outside tip is of course Maria Sharapova :)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Fill in the blank puzzle number 1.

I'll go for Henman to carry the nation's hopes again, carry everything before him again, storm into the semis again and choke _____ .

_Ed_

I'll take this opportunity to wonder if any New Zealanders have made it into the first round of Wimbledon since I was born in 86.

Perhaps the "world beating" Mark Nielsen will get there some day. He did reach the second round of the Heineken Open here in Auckland once after all.

Anyway, my tips:
Men: Federer
Women: One of the Williamses (who really cares which?)

People I want to win:
Men: Henman
Women: Sharapova

Simon

i think a kiwi by the name of Brett Stevens may have played in wimbledon a few times, but dont quote me on that....

Simon

Neil Pickup said:
I can't see Nalbandian winning on grass.
he made the final 2 years ago, and that field was stronger then than it is now.
the only thing that worries me about him is his ability to come back after such a bad loss to Gaudio in the SF in Paris.