• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Fair play to Nadal. The better man on the day won. Federer had the honour of going out on his shield like the champion he is tho. Bit gutted still, would've liked to see history made.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Sensational final, was well worth losing a night's worth of sleep for lol. Tremendous effort from both players, but congrats to Nadal, he absolutely deserves the title.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
Well done Nadal... Hell of an opponent to end Federer's run. Federer was on the backfoot the whole game, but fought like never before. Nadal's three break points told the story. The only way Federer was gonna win that last set is if Wimbledon had a fifth set tiebreaker.

Fed needs to hire a coach and change his game a bit, IMO.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
One of the greatest sporting moments I've been privileged enough to witness, even on television.

Just a superb spectacle, regardless of whether or not you even like tennis. Federer's astonishing ability to keep pulling aces out of the bag at break point down was something I won't forget. Even while clearly not playing at his best, he just refused to be beaten. For Nadal to overcome a man like that speaks volumes about the caliber of his tennis, and the strength of his spirit. Congratulations, Rafa.

open365

International Vice-Captain
Federer's errors finally cost him

He'll view that as a match he should've won
Watching these two play was like watching two massive rocks pound at eachother, with nothing giving way.

Both players made mistakes and missed oppurtunities that could have won them the title, but at the end of the day Nadal thouroughly deserved it and imo played better than Federer, if only by a touch. I don't particulary think it was a case of simply too many unforced errors from Federer, he was put under immense pressure from Nadal on every point of the match, it would be impossible to be error free against that kind of power, and I don't think either player gave any easy points away.

irfan

State Captain
One of the greatest sporting moments I've been privileged enough to witness, even on television.

Just a superb spectacle, regardless of whether or not you even like tennis. Federer's astonishing ability to keep pulling aces out of the bag at break point down was something I won't forget. Even while clearly not playing at his best, he just refused to be beaten. For Nadal to overcome a man like that speaks volumes about the caliber of his tennis, and the strength of his spirit. Congratulations, Rafa.
What he said. The best tennis match in eons, dissapointed for Fed but massive respect for Rafa, truly deserved it and finally ground Fed down. Amazing stuff

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
Fair play to Nadal. The better man on the day won. Federer had the honour of going out on his shield like the champion he is tho. Bit gutted still, would've liked to see history made.
You did kinda... Nobody's won Wimbledon and the French in the same year since Borg in 1980.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Great stuff, best tennis match I've seen, probably. Borg-Super-mac was the best before that, but I think that tops it, better final set anyway.

Well done Rafa, great win, but don't think it's the changing of the guard quite yet. Roger to win the US Open considering their respective histories there.

Majin

International Debutant
Ivanisevic-Rafter still the best Wimbledon final I've seen live, doubt anything will compare to that for me. Not necessarily the best tennis but never seen a game more tense than that one, and was so desperate for Goran to win Wimbledon with his last ditch WC attempt. But after that this one is the best I've seen

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Yes it is. If Player A is holding serve comfortably and taking Player B to break points often, but is unable to break. Simple as.
Point to note - Roger was not able to hold his serve 3 times in those 2 sets. So not really simple even with your criteria.

Anyways. Over all a great match to watch and I am not really complaining so Please get off my back now you people. :)

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rafa so gun, despite what the rankings may or may not say later today Nadal is currently the worlds best tennis player, end of story.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What a game that was. Such a high standard. Kudos to Nadal and to Federer - both grand champions of the highest order.
Just love the mutual respect these guys have. Nadal's grace after the French when he realised that an OTT celebration after such a one-sided final was not in order speaks volumes for him as a sportman.
For Federer to cop a pizzling like he did in Paris then to play the same guy (albeit on a better surface for Federer) yet fight like he did says he's got a heart the size of Phar Lap.
How insane was the 1st match point in the last game when Federer smacked that backhand cross court? Insane stuff. You could tell from the first point of the match something massive was in the offing and they didn't let anyone down.
Both great players and Nadal will now take his own place in history having won the French and Wimbledon in the one year. Good on him.