• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Dark Hunter

State Vice-Captain
The only thing that kept Roddick in that 5th set was his serve tbh. Brilliant game..Kohlschreiber deserved to win, but neither deserved to lose it.

Pup_23

School Boy/Girl Captain
Safin and Roddick out on consecutive nights.

Kohls looks a brilliant prospect IMO. Will rise up the rankings if he keeps playing like that.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I don't get Roddick sometimes. I didn't see the match to be fair, and Kohlschreiber is an underrated player, but Roddick loses matches at the worst time in grand slams.

Shattered with no Safin and Roddick now. :(

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
I don't get Roddick sometimes. I didn't see the match to be fair, and Kohlschreiber is an underrated player, but Roddick loses matches at the worst time in grand slams.

Shattered with no Safin and Roddick now. :(
he would have been stopped by the fed anyway, no biggie...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Bit of a silly way of thinking though isn't it? Can use that line on every player.

Roddick's pure entertainment, as is Safin. Whilst under-dogs winnings are always good for the sport, the people want to see Roddick and him getting to the second week would have been nice.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Bit of a silly way of thinking though isn't it? Can use that line on every player.

Roddick's pure entertainment, as is Safin. Whilst under-dogs winnings are always good for the sport, the people want to see Roddick and him getting to the second week would have been nice.
What on earth do people want to see Roddick for? Tie-breaks galore...

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Great stuff from the Aussie girl last night. Actually got my fiance watching tennis, which is no mean feat.

LOL @ Roddick. The guy knows how to choke.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
roddick is ok to watch, but his style is fairly monotonous and apart from a monster serve, there is nothing outstanding about his game...he has a good forehand and the rest of his game is reasonably solid and you can call him a competent player, but that's it...i don't find him half as entertaining as federer or djokovic or a gasquet in full flow or a fernandez on fire or even nadal just to name a few....

Last edited:

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
a shame Roddick lost last night, I like Kohlschriber, but i agree with Jono that its good for the sport to have guys like Roddick, Safin etc... around in the second week of slams...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
roddick is ok to watch, but his style is fairly monotonous and apart from a monster serve, there is nothing outstanding about his game...he has a good forehand and the rest of his game is reasonably solid and you can call him a competent player, but that's it...i don't find him half as entertaining as federer or djokovic or a gasquet in full flow or a fernandez on fire or even nadal just to name a few....
Anil, Roddick is a package.

I'd watch Gasquet on the court over Roddick everyday of the week.

But tennis, just like most other spectator sports, is about more than just playing style. His reactions and persona when on the court, and that's not even to mention his brillant and hilarious interviews and press conferences, make Roddick great for tennis.

I'm far from whinging that he lost. I don't ever wish for him to win Grand Slams. But your comment that "Fed would have beaten him anyway" as pretty damn silly.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Anil, Roddick is a package.

I'd watch Gasquet on the court over Roddick everyday of the week.

But tennis, just like most other spectator sports, is about more than just playing style. His reactions and persona when on the court, and that's not even to mention his brillant and hilarious interviews and press conferences make Roddick great for tennis.

I'm far from whinging that he lost. I don't ever wish for him to win Grand Slams. But your comment that "Fed would have beaten him anyway" as pretty damn silly.
1. for me, roddick's(or anyone else's for that matter) on-court mannerisms don't count quite so much as how well he plays(even how well they can potentially play)...and i have seen what kind of a peak he is capable of...he will always need a lot of luck if he is to win or contend in big tournaments...i don't particularly mind seeing him play but i am never too sad when he goes out..

2. the 1st point leads to the second and from my perspective, there is nothing pretty or damned or silly about my statement which is true in more than one way...he would lose handily against any of federer or nadal or djokovic at full flow and to a fair few others on their day as well, and i have no specific wish to see him survive a little longer just to witness his extra-curricular activities...:)

Bobisback

International Regular
Who cares about Roddick, he has already lost.

In current news, Federer loses the first set. Another upset brewing?