• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
And he gets it.

I said to someone just as that third set went to 5-5 that I have a feeling Hewitt will win this one. Fourth set to be tight with Hewitt just getting over the line, and then the 5th set to be a walkover.

You heard it here first.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Bet365 inexplicably removed live betting on this match after the 3rd set, making no sense at all. Bring it back damn it, the betting on the match just got interesting.

LOL @ Gonzales not realising the umpire overruled him. Courier called it like 4 points earlier saying he wasn't sure, and when he finally realised the score it was quite funny.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
"crack at the tournament" generally means go far, and possibly get to the final. That gives him the best chance to win. If Federer mauls him in the final, so be it. Roddick can only do the best he can, and if he's volleying and using his backhand better, all the better are his chances.
iirc Roddick & Federer are in the same side of the draw, meaning it's only possible for one of them to make the final. IMO whoever makes the final from their side of the draw will win.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
fair effort from Hewitt to save 4 match points.... Gonzalez just too good though. What a forehand his is

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
And he gets it.

I said to someone just as that third set went to 5-5 that I have a feeling Hewitt will win this one. Fourth set to be tight with Hewitt just getting over the line, and then the 5th set to be a walkover.

You heard it here first.
Cheers for jinxing Hewitt :D

No more annoying "Super Lleyton" rip-off chants.

Hewitt under pressure facing those match points was admirable, but the better player won. Great stuff from Gonzalez.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
im expecting a very good showing from Djokovic against Federer tomorrow, im not quite prepared to put money on it but i think he may win...
yeah djokovic is a dangerous opponent and federer is not really playing his best yet, hard to visualize him losing so early but i suppose it has to happen one day and it is likely to, at the hands of one of these young guns....

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
yeah djokovic is a dangerous opponent and federer is not really playing his best yet, hard to visualize him losing so early but i suppose it has to happen one day and it is likely to, at the hands of one of these young guns....
thats exactly my theory. Surely a time will come where Federer may lose early in a grand slam, if it's gonna happen this could be a time, although i did read some quotes from Djokovic yesterday and he's not sounding too perfect. He described Federer's game as "perfect". Thats not the sort of mentality he should be heading into this match with.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cheers for jinxing Hewitt :D

No more annoying "Super Lleyton" rip-off chants.

Hewitt under pressure facing those match points was admirable, but the better player won. Great stuff from Gonzalez.
Thank god Hewitt is gone, Gonzalez is a much improved player these days, those first two sets were as well as ive seen him play...

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
gonzalez is playing brilliantly, his forehand is incredible, if he can keep up this level going into the 2nd week, he'll be a handful for anybody....

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah I reckon he'll win in straight sets too, maybe not that easily though.

Djokovic is a good player though so hopefully its a good match.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Haha true, Haas looks in prime form.

Anyone watch the Roddick vs. Ancic match just now? Absolute beauty, was very impressed with Ancic taking it right up to Roddick and he had all the momentum in the 5th set until he choked up in that one service game with 4 unforced errors. Ended up costing him the match, and a place in the quarters. Its an amazing game tennis.

But now is THE BIG ONE for me. Jelena Jankovic, who I have an each way bet paying $13 (7.5 for finals placing) is taking on Serena Williams who looks like she's on a mission to win her 3rd Aus Open. I'm generally a Serena Williams fan because of how she comes back from the dead so often (Nalbandian style) but I'm firmly in Jelena's corner. Hope she can pull through, because Williams was very very impressive vs. Petrova.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Holy crap Kuznetsova just lost her match, and she was supposed to be the one playing the winner between Serena Williams and Jelena Jankovic.

Add that to the fact that Mauresmo is out, and Jelena has a real shot at making the final. With two of the three top seeds out, its Jelena's chance :cool: