• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Safin is one angry man, and for once, its working in his favour. He's lifted his game massively.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Brilliant tennis all round. Drop shot returned by drop shot before both players played a variety of strokes. Brilliant tennis from both players.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Marat is FIRED UP!

He had to hold that game, if he was broken it would have made it far too tough.

How funny was it when Safin, after spraying the chair umpire for like 5 minutes earlier, challenges the umpire's overrule and wins. And then celebrates massively... What a gun.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Safin to umpire -

Why are you over ruling these balls. Why are you doing this. If you are not sure, why are you doing this?

LOL.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Roddick takes the tie-break in the 4th to win the match.

Both players played magnificently, and Safin's serve was on, which it hadn't been in the first 2 rounds. Roddick in the end won the more important points, the clutch forehands and volleys whereas Safin couldn't get those passing shots when he really needed to. He really played the 1st set and 4th set tie-breaks poorly, which ended up costing him. He should have taken the 3rd set as well but let it slide.

Pretty shattering (:() but Roddick is a much better player than the one Safin beat in 5 sets back in 2004, and Hewitt beat in the semis in 2005, and even the one Baghdatis beat in 2006. The man has improved his volleying immensely, and he can really have a crack at this tournament if he continues playing like this. Ancic in the 4th round will be very tough however.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i didnt think the match itself was all that great last night. It seemed like more of a case of neither player wanting to lose rather than going out there and trying to beat his opponent. Maybe i was just expecting too much from this match but i was a bit disapointed with it...

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Roddick takes the tie-break in the 4th to win the match.

Both players played magnificently, and Safin's serve was on, which it hadn't been in the first 2 rounds. Roddick in the end won the more important points, the clutch forehands and volleys whereas Safin couldn't get those passing shots when he really needed to. He really played the 1st set and 4th set tie-breaks poorly, which ended up costing him. He should have taken the 3rd set as well but let it slide.

Pretty shattering (:() but Roddick is a much better player than the one Safin beat in 5 sets back in 2004, and Hewitt beat in the semis in 2005, and even the one Baghdatis beat in 2006. The man has improved his volleying immensely, and he can really have a crack at this tournament if he continues playing like this. Ancic in the 4th round will be very tough however.
really depends on federer though, doesn't it....if he plays anywhere close to his best, does it really matter how well roddick or for that matter anyone else is playing?

Simon

im expecting a very good showing from Djokovic against Federer tomorrow, im not quite prepared to put money on it but i think he may win...

Simon

Hewitt is up against it, Molik is 50/50. Schnyder is solid and usually does enough to win, if Molik is on her game i think she may win but if she plays like she did in the last round then its goodbye.

Im on odds of $2.75 that both Molik and Hewitt get eliminated tonight though...

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
Hewitt is up against it, Molik is 50/50. Schnyder is solid and usually does enough to win, if Molik is on her game i think she may win but if she plays like she did in the last round then its goodbye.

Im on odds of $2.75 that both Molik and Hewitt get eliminated tonight though...
I would agree with that assessment.

Seems to be the way of the Aussie tennis players to go relatively early.

Stosur losing the other night was a little bit of a shock for mine.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
How bloody good was Nalbandian today! 2 sets to 0 down, 0-40 on his serve with 3 match points against him, and he comes back and wins it in 5 sets. What a legend!
really depends on federer though, doesn't it....if he plays anywhere close to his best, does it really matter how well roddick or for that matter anyone else is playing?
"crack at the tournament" generally means go far, and possibly get to the final. That gives him the best chance to win. If Federer mauls him in the final, so be it. Roddick can only do the best he can, and if he's volleying and using his backhand better, all the better are his chances.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Hewitt being absolutely belted over the court so far by Gonzales, who for me is playing the best tennis of this tournament so far. Absolutely stunning shot-making.