• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not sure of the circumstances for the Kyrgios match but deliberately tanking a set as a strategy has some pedigree. The tours in the early days of pro tennis were pretty hectic and players like Tilden used to give up a set to conserve energy for the decider.
He essentially gave up a game late in the 4th set as a way of throwing Nakashima off his rhythm. Didn't seem too insidious to me.

Niall

International Coach
He essentially gave up a game late in the 4th set as a way of throwing Nakashima off his rhythm. Didn't seem too insidious to me.
Yeah the older players do it all time, basically once they feel a decider is inevitable they lower their effort and back themselves to get it done in the last set. It's sensible , Novak did it a few times last year in the French and won the event.

Fritz takes the 1st set....

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
you may be forgetting about a rather significant obstacle in the shape of an anti-vax douchebag serb...
Yeah, I meant as far as the final. But even there, is the aforementioned AVDS quite what he was? I don't think peak Novak would have conceded two sets to Sinner.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
@wpdavid maybe, but he doesn't need to be at peak novak to beat these guys and win wimbledon...
You may well be right, and you probably are. I'm just suggesting that Novak's a bit more vulnerable than in previous years. But I'll be the first to admit that I'm no expert.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
But would peak Novak have even been in a position where that was an option against Sinner?
True, true, but then I refer you to Anil's point.

(I haven't seriously watched men's tennis in years and refuse to do so until the reign of terror of the Big Three is over, so i'm no expert either)

Niall

International Coach
Wanted Halep v Ons, but Rybakina has been very good , Coco, Andreescu, Zheng (took a set of Iga in France),,Martic, Tomlijanovic and Halep all defeated and only 1 set dropped.:shock:

Its going to be a good final hopefully .

Nadal supposedly struggling , but tbh I think Nadal and Novak blindfolded have a chance against pretty much anyone on the tour so who knows what happens tomorrow.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Wanted Halep v Ons, but Rybakina has been very good , Coco, Andreescu, Zheng (took a set of Iga in France),,Martic, Tomlijanovic and Halep all defeated and only 1 set dropped.:shock:
also we have to acknowledge it's extremely funny that boris tried to ban all the russians and then Rybakina just waltzes through anyway

Niall

International Coach
Nadal not playing the semi final which means Nick is through to the final.

How do we expect him to do v Norrie on Sunday? :ph34r:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
i will be very happy if norrie can get past his next hurdle and reach the final but just can't see it happening. i don't think you can either, can you? :D

Last edited:

Niall

International Coach
Anything can happen on the day etc, but Norrie beating Novak on grass over 5 sets would be the biggest upset of Novak's career since Istomin beat him in Australia.

Novak may lose a set but that should be it really.

Novak v Kyrgios final on Sunday, some people will be hoping both lose. :p