• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sorry to those who took my advice on Kristof Vliegen, what a disapointing showing. At least my other smokay to go far Stanislas Wawrinka is still alive...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
LOL @ Jonas Bjorkman's talk with the chair umpire.

"Since the new rules came in place, you do nothing"

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
BBC said:
"I don't need to practice any more, I've been playing tennis a long time."

Roger Federer jokes (we think) during his on-court interview after demolishing Jonas Bjorkman
Fairplay.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Safin down 2 sets to 1, reeeeeeeeediculous. He better not lose and prevent us from a 3rd round showdown between him and Roddick.

I love Safin for his unpredictability, but at times its bloody irritating :p

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Even though Safin has been poor in the game so far, I am loving how Sela has been playing. Certainly seems better than some one who is currently ranked 200 some thing - good gound strokes and particularly good ability to hit winners.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
There are three different matches viewable on Australian TV right now, and Safin vs. Sela isn't one of them. :mad:

Safin serving for the 4th set now, come on Marat!

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Ridiculous really Jono. Brilliant match this over all. 15-30 on Safin serve.. Sela two points away from the match.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
30-30.. players sit cos of rain! :D

On the broadcasters televising more Australian players - they do it every where. USA has to cope with it and US tennis fans talk of the same disgust during the US Open particularly now when there aren't as many US players in the draws as there used to be. In Asia, ESPN-Star shows more Asian players whenever they can. The thing is, ESPN-Star usually switches to the more important matches fast if there is brilliant match being played.

The logic of the broadcasters is this - tennis nuts will watch the games any way. Maybe showing some home grown talent will attract more viewers who wouldn't watch tennis otherwise.

Matteh

In Asia, ESPN-Star shows more Asian players whenever they can. The thing is, ESPN-Star usually switches to the more important matches fast if there is brilliant match being played.
I've found that they tend to go off and show the match winning points from various games, haven't seen them switch to another game entirely yet.

Johnners

It's understandable why broadcasters give the Local players air-time if possible, as it's more likely to attract the casual viewer imo. However that said, i'd prefer to watch a match involving the top players than a match with a 150+ ranking local player.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I've found that they tend to go off and show the match winning points from various games, haven't seen them switch to another game entirely yet.
How are you getting ESPN-Star? You are right. They tend to do what you are saying more often. They do switch to other games as well when the games are very good or keep switching between games at times. Haven't watched much of tennis so far and so had no clue regarding this time.

Matteh

How are you getting ESPN-Star? You are right. They tend to do what you are saying more often. They do switch to other games as well when the games are very good. Haven't watched much of tennis so far.
Don't have a TV so the only way i can watch it is using Sopcast and ESPN-Star is the channel that's showing it atm.

Safin 2 v 2 now.

Reckon he'll sneak it.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I love you Marat Safin. Go to take the dog for a walk with the score at 30-30 screaming "COME ON MARAT", come back and see he won the 4th via tie-break and is a break up in the 5th.

Cannot believe neither Fox Sports' two matches nor Channel 7 have shown it.

I'm so tempted to order my tickets for Friday now, but I know Marat will give me another scare so I'll wait.