• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Good to see Wimbledon scraping the middle Sunday rest day from next year. It’ll remove the crammed last 16 schedule on the Monday which often means only two Ladies Singles matches on the show courts.

Niall

International Coach
That Monday was always an absolute banger tbf , shame its gone.

Wasn't the reason for so long that 4 of the six games on the two main courts were men because they were simply bigger draws?

Novak, Murray, Federer and Rafa,,,would you put any of those on of the other courts?

No longer an issue anyway with them in decline.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
It's not that they got the scheduling wrong based on what had to be scheduled. But there's still quality matches that deserved a better court, and in these days of equality only having two Ladies Singles is going to be cause for complaint. The only thing in favour of having the matches on outside courts is that people get to see top players in the second week without having to be fleeced for show court tickets.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, I know I'm an old man more interested in talking about olden days than nowadays, but has everyone seen THIS

Kinda amazing, FTR Andre's record was 10-4 against Becker in the end, I like how he deliberately let a few through, so as just to make Becker think he was just really good at guessing.

Niall

International Coach
ha yeah it seems like forever Novak beat him.

Poor sod beat Murray and Nadal at their peak and had the misfortune to meet Stan in the final.

Sabalenka won the ladies event, good fun to watch , lets hope she wins a slam this year. :euro:

Berretini (sp) v Zverev should be a cool final.

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
Cannot believe Vera Zvonareva is only 36! Feels like she has been playing tennis for so long presumed she would be in her early 40s

Niall

International Coach
Nadal hasn't been impressive last few weeks on clay has he?

Not sure what to make of KING ASLAN at times looking fantastic and then today smashed by noted Clay legend Opelka. :D

Hoping Thiem comes through this match because could have 3 gun quarter finals if so. (Delbonis v Opelka no thanks).

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
She's the real deal, particularly on clay, she will hopefully have a great rivalry with Osaka.
well she needs to get better on the other surfaces and osaka on clay and grass for a real rivalry to happen...but yes she is the real deal, the way she cruised through the french last year and the way she crushed pliskova today was just spectacular...plus she seems to have a true champion's mindset and ambition as well, something a lot of the top players don't have right now...i mean barty and halep are very good but i miss a dominant all-surface champion in women's tennis...

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I'm a bit torn on the lack of great players in the women's game. There's been a lot of mediocre Grand Slam champions over the last few years, but on the other hand although the likes of Navratilova, Graf and Williams are vastly superior players it's not great when the same people win everything unless you're a dedicated fan of that competitor.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
i am probably in a minority on this one but i would prefer dominant players winning most of the time than a parity scenario where a different player wins each time...you would never get the truly great rivalries unless truly great players play memorable matches against each other over several years...and the rivalries and the greatness of these players are what elevate the game...just my opinion...

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Nadal must be the biggest favourite amongst number 3 seeds in Grand Slam history. At least the draw has guaranteed there won’t be a Djokovic v Nadal Final.