• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You just know he'll lose to some random guy in the 3rd round of the Australian Open. Good win though.

However, I can't see anything other than Novak and Rafa splitting the Slams next year.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
You just know he'll lose to some random guy in the 3rd round of the Australian Open. Good win though.

However, I can't see anything other than Novak and Rafa splitting the Slams next year.
yep, if i have to guess melbourne, wimbledon and flushing meadows for novak and roland garros for rafa...if some of these new kids can make inroads, that would be great but i don't really expect it at the slams...

_Ed_

The 18-year-old qualifier Bianca Andreescu is having a hell of a week in Auckland. She's knocked out Caroline Wozniacki and Venus Williams on the last two nights.

Niall

International Coach
Famous last words...

but Sabalenka looks the most likely to be a first time slam winner in the girls side.

_Ed_

Ferrer retires with a leg injury - sad way to end his last Auckland Open. He's been a legend of this tournament, coming every year for a decade.

the big bambino

International Captain
Talk about local hopes in the Australian Open centre on Kyrgios and Tomic's carrying the hopes of a nation in their "horror opening rounds" against Raonic and Cilic respectively. Actually it is Raonic and Cilic who carry the "hopes of a nation" and soundly thrash that pair of arseholes.

vcs

Murray. :(

I thought he was a bit dour at first but he grew to be the most likable of the Big 4. Great career and hope he can have a healthy, pain free life after retirement. Good luck.

morgieb

Murray. :(

I thought he was a bit dour at first but he grew to be the most likable of the Big 4. Great career and hope he can have a healthy, pain free life after retirement. Good luck.
Yeah, serious loss. Probably Britain's greatest tennis player and would have a good case of being their best sportsman full stop.

Hopefully his R1 clash isn't on MCA as it's the only venue I don't have tickets for on Day 1/2.

Burgey

Yeah, very sad to hear of Murray's injuries leading to him retiring. Been a terrific player. Hope he has a long and happy retirement.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I hope he doesn't drag things on till Wimbledon tbh. If things really are that bad he should just hit it on the head and wrap up after the AO. He doesn't owe anyone "one final Wimbledon", and it sounds like his injuries are not only career threatening but literally life-changing. Weighing up whether to have what is basically a hip replacement at 31 is not something anyone of that age should normally have to contemplate.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Absolutely gutting. Bloody love the guy, a titan of a sportsman in this country for the last decade.

cpr

International Coach
I hope he doesn't drag things on till Wimbledon tbh. If things really are that bad he should just hit it on the head and wrap up after the AO. He doesn't owe anyone "one final Wimbledon", and it sounds like his injuries are not only career threatening but literally life-changing. Weighing up whether to have what is basically a hip replacement at 31 is not something anyone of that age should normally have to contemplate.

This. I can understand him wanting to play Wimbledon as one final goodbye to the home fans, but pretty much everyone would rather he waved goodbye on court wearing a suit rather than limp out with an inevitable early defeat. I'm pretty surprised he's even bothering with Aus tbh. Just can it when you know its time.

Waking up to Murray's tears was no fun. Really hope the sport finds some role for him even after any medical treatment he might need.
I reckon the LTA could make great use of him.with the Women's game. The Men's is looking pretty decent with Edmunds and Corrie, but beyond a flash in the pan from Konta the other year, there's no experience at the pressure end of tournaments within the set up. Having someone who's been there (and suffered the losses as well as the wins) could be a big help prepping the players - so many female players have looked like they could do it but just haven't stepped up (Watson the worst for not hitting her potential, Robson has barely hit a ball straight since her operations, Konta seems in freefall).
Either way, I can see him making a cracking coach for someone down the line.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Bit of a gutter this but realistically we all knew it was coming as he was clearly struggling last year when he returned and was nowhere his old level. Been a brilliant sportsman and ambassador for Britain. Feel for him he can't have a few years of fun playing doubles with his brother which I always expected him to do towards the end.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
An absolute legend.

With regards to sledger's point, I can see the appeal for Murray of doing one last Wimbledon and going out on his terms. Even if that's a round one defeat to some no-hoper.